Stani's Almera

i dont know if there is a best way, what id did was obviously remove the old rings, clean the piston completely. i started on the oil control ring, that expands and goes into the groove then just carefully put the top/bottom rings to secure it into position. and then once again carefully put the top and 2nd compression rings in, point the gaps the correct way, use a piston rings compressor. sit the conrod in the bore, make sure the PR compressor is completely flush with the top of the bore (or the piston ring can sneak out and you might damage it) i used the soft end of a hammer to tap the piston in. also make sure the arrows point towards the chain (you probably already know that) and that each piston is in the right bore CHAIN<-1<-2<-3<-4(they should be numbered on the conrod and conrod end caps) youll get the hang of it after one! let us know how you get on :)

yesterday i undersealed the car, also managed to do myself aswell lol i can say its damn clean for a 12 year old car and that i dont expect any mot failures on rust for a long time :) also adjusted the handbrake cable as it was a bit high. mot due in april cant wait :D

just under the lever, pull back the little flap and its a 10mm bolt. you'll need a deepsocket and do it with the handbrake as low as you can put it to reach the bolt

my car failed its mot on thursday 15th, 2 tyres were needed, a missing wheel stud, brakes imbalanced at the front and exhaust emissions (CO level being 0.88% the MAX being 0.30%) at the weekend i got the tyres on and the missing wheel stud done, and fitted new pads and bled the front brakes. now with the emissions i didnt know where to start so i bought a new lambda sensor and fitted that hoping it would work. took the car for a re-test yesterday which it failed, only the emissions to go. the mot tester mentioned that the lambda sensor seemed to far away from the cat, and after a closer inspection of the manifold the lambda sensor was in the wrong place! in only covered 1 exhaust port, so thats why my fuel economy has been so bad and how my car was overfuelling! so just last night i took the downpipe off and with complete luck there was another lambda bung near the cat. so i extended the wires about a metre refitted the lot, took it for a re-test today and it passed!! was a bit scared to start with as the CO level was low but the lambda was too high, the guy gave up and when the car was sitting there on idle all the readings flashed green so a quick rev to 2800rpm approx and that was it!! :D total cost to pass was £143.13

That's interesting because I was trying to change the location of O2 sensor when it failed my MOT and there was no change...

Good for you!

sensor should be sat in the manifold.... good that it passed but still a bit strange you had to move it..

supermonster- did you move it at all? there are 3 points on the header 2 of which look too big. i didnt know the other one was there, i took the exhaust off so i can have one put in and to my luck there was a hole for it facing upwards (hidden when you look from underneath) im very happy that it took so little to pass. if i have time im fitting the de-cat it tomorrow haha!!

sam- why does it have to be in the manifold?

once i get a bit more money im buying 4 new tyres, yet to decide which ones :)

ok today is the day ive decided im swapping the car with a good friend of mines. im getting a small amount of cash and a 1.0 micra. the point of this being i want to get my other micra finished sooner.

greig all will be revealed lol and jacob yes, i now feel £250 a month on insurance and the £55 a week on petrol is alot. i did have lots of other plans for the car but ive made my mind up now aslong as the deal etc goes through :)

ur a mad fukker ill say that, but you certinly dont piss about with anything, hope its mikey, get his big ass out the k11 haaa. ko. :D hope to see the micra up soon. :D

well today was the day the almera went away. swapped for a 1.0 5 door micra. i hope to be back eventually with a DET next time!

Back
Top Bottom