StevenC's new SR20'd motor...

In all honesty Wezz I'm no engine whizz. Look what happened when I did the cams...4 weeks then oil reek. I just cannot bring myself to work on this one's bowels and trust myself that everything will be ok, especially as it's worth at least twice that of the GTi.

Goin to get a local guy who knows what he is doing to get it all out to inspect everything as it's very odd that this would happen so quickly. The clatter its making is one of the worst he's heard and he's done numerous SR20 bottom ends so I don't think this is the end of this...

Looking at it, it looks like to do it without taking the engine out you'd have to remove the front subframe etc so probably be just as much work as getting the engine out. It gives me an opportunity to do a few things while it's out as you can get easy access to things like turbo elbows, braided hoses etc.

Definately a knock and not a loud ticking noise? When Gurrs PS13 went tits up at JAE last year, it turned out to be 5 bent valves and a few broken rocker arms, after it was re-assembled (but before it was fixed) it would knock quite loudly from the top end, sounded horrible

No. I know the PS13...i also know who changed his rocker arms at JAE and then towed him to Garage-D to get the head rebuilt after it lasted all of 5 minutes...he took 2 seconds to hear the noise and declare it bottom end...

Engine was taken out the car today and cracked open to see what had happened to make it go so suddenly.

What's happened is it's spun a big end bearing. The cause? Well despite it being on 82k it appears it's been rebuilt bottom end before...and it was done by Stevie fucking Wonder. Everything was in the wrong place/order with sealer on things that shouldn't have it, things over/under tightened. This miss-match of pistons/rods and end caps has led to this happening suddenly, only amazing thing IMO is that it's not happened sooner. Probably testament to the fact I've not ragged it silly / let it warm up and cool down properly.

No signs of DET on the pistons. Oil pump showing some wear, but most likely from the bits being pumped round the engine once the shell went. Head is perfect with cams and spray bars apparently in good condition tho the spray bars will be replaced while the engines apart.

A couple of the bores are marked and the crank has a few scratches but it's nothing that a re-grind and hone won't fix.

The last wee bits will be being ordered while the crank gets done over the next few days. As there doesn't appear to have been any complications I'm going to use the cash I'd got my hands on to have the car rebuilt using standard and uprated parts so it's ready to take future mods when they come. It might get a couple of toys too if the price is right.

Update time!!

Well wow, what a faaf this has been...

This was the state of my big end no3...
29482_399200955795_537435795_4701186_6603375_n.jpg

29482_399200945795_537435795_4701185_3459059_n.jpg

Crank looked like this...
29482_399207865795_537435795_4701361_1791058_n.jpg

Crank had to be scrapped.

Bottom end was rebuilt with genuine bits including a perfect nick crank and set of rods from Keiran (team Apex performance drift driver) on SXOC. Had a few hold ups with wrong seals being sent and royal fail losing things. All bearings are now ACL race bearings.

While the build took place I also bought a short shifter, 3" front pipe, 3" turbo elbow, front strut brace and engine damper. Yesterday I bought a 255LPH fuel pump as mine is starting to fail.

It's got 500miles of run in still to go (done 500) and an MOT due 17th August ... then I'll be deciding if I keep and play with it or sell and recoup money.

Some pics of how the engine bay looks...
36956_410515025795_537435795_4989063_890795_n.jpg

From SMC on Sun...
DSC_4567.jpg

Very nice steve glad you got it sorted mate...looks the biz!! Bet your glad you got it checked out properly and had a reliable mechanic work on this car.

Hopefully no more problems mate!!

Looks proper sexy mate, would have that car anyday!

Shame someone had done a crap job on the engine before hand...good its all sorted

Well as some of you will know, after an awesome trip to JAE and lookin round all those nice GTi's ... Mr 200 has fallen out with me again

Top end chomping it's face off now after I roasted it on the M6 Toll coming home. Good effort from a mate with a trailor got me home at 9am Monday morning.

Currently awaiting a proper diagnosis. Here we go again.

Any GTi's for sale?...SERIOUSLY this time.

Back
Top Bottom