Syv's N16 2.2Di

Finally got the car back, waiting for parts to arrive was probably the most annoying thing. Anyway back on track now, though not really satisfied with overall performance, gonna do dyno test in few weeks, have to finally make sure is it me wanting to much, or something still wrong with her.

As promised few pics from head gasket changing process:
dsc00221am.jpg

dsc00222s.jpg

dsc00227wx.jpg

dsc00237he.jpg

dsc00238qe.jpg

dsc00236c.jpg

Good to see. Now get a large oil-stone and stone down the entire surface of the block. You'll be surprised how many high spots you find and take-down. Make sure to keep wiping any left-over material out of the bores and off the pistons as you go.
Another guy I know used I think a block of glass (he has fish-tanks) and sandpaper to get the same result. Both he and the previous owner of my van tried to do a head-gasket without surfacing the block like this, both times the new gasket let go again.

It's already have been done Kiwi, cheers for the input. Now I have to run 1k kilometers on granny style, it's smoking quite a bit, how many miles/kms did you have to run till it got normal again kiwi?

Also changed the wheels today, totally satisfied with the looks, though lowering springs just moved up in the priority list.
93272951.jpg

33561379.jpg

Looks Brilliant, always wanted a N16 in that colour. Wheels look fantastic too... Lowering springs would really finish it off

It's already have been done Kiwi, cheers for the input. Now I have to run 1k kilometers on granny style, it's smoking quite a bit, how many miles/kms did you have to run till it got normal again kiwi?

My van has done ~20km since the head-gasket was done. It started leaking from a frost plug behind the injector pump on the test-run after reassembly. But there was never any smoke.

Who told you to drive slowly for 1,000km? There is no run-in time necessary with a head-gasket job and there should be no smoke.

yeah 205/50 for now, bought them off a friend, with all other stuff going on can't really afford a top quality tires.

The job was performed in certificated representative of Nissan, I wanted it done professionally so I choose them, it cost me more, but at least I have a warranty now. There's no excessive white smoke which would indicate another blown gasket, but still I'm worried about the grey/black ones. Can't really say why they gave me that drive-in period, maybe just a precaution? Or maybe there's left overs of coolant that needs to burn out?

I've been trying to get rid of the smoke for a while now and the ideas are coming to the end. Patience too.
Things that have been done:
1. new turbo - old one was burning oil like hell, after changing it, emissions reduced by half.
2. KN air filter and OEM fuel filter - visibly reduced black smoke, emission test showed the same. (at that time coolant began leaking out, burning coolant seemed to be the cause of the emissions)
3. Changed head gasket - black smoke back again, not sure about the white. Gonna do emissions test later on.

So I guess I'll see how it goes after 1k kms. I reckon there's no connection between the gasket and the black smoke, must by something with a fueling system then.
Check injectors, check pump, check fueling lines, my wallet ain't gonna like this at all. :)

I can shoot some videos and re-upload the old ones, this would give a better insight about the situation before and after.

Black smoke can means it's too rich at full load.
First things to check are air-restriction.
Second thing to check is the MAF. Find another one to swap in and see if it improves. There are test values in the workshop manual, I stick pins in past the seals on the wires and read it with a multimeter. Two of my nissan MAF's cleaned well and showed values in spec, one died. Second hand replacement was in spec.

Black smoke can also mean the timing is too far advanced (would sound like a bag of hammers at idle if it was a tooth out) or the injection pattern is way out.

Since the last blackout happened and my thread vanished, haven't got time to re-create it, although probably better later then never.

So yeah, I still own brown metallic (CW0) Almera 2.2Di, haven't really made much progress in past year, it's my daily ride, no extreme plans on modding it. Earlier got plenty of trouble with mechanical stuff (failed turbo, blown head gasket) I'm pretty happy she didn't failed me on these things again. Main problem now is a loosing fight with a rust, recently fixed front arches and crossmemb, still got rear window and some other parts to fix.

Btw I'm actively looking for 136bhp dci for project/build car, not many 2-doors available these days.
img2803aw.jpg
img2836ud.jpg
57163969.jpg

33341928.jpg

Back
Top Bottom