98gti's 97VZR

Chris & Ross both drove really well all day, John was consistently nuts, destroyed his clutch & 2 tyres, got pretty good times though.
The car was capable of better times but I ballsed up pretty much every launch:O, first time on the strip with my own car though, I need a lot more practice.
What sort of times have you seen for sr16's raceworx? About the fastest i've seen is coobico on neovvl.org, he has a mapped sr16 & vzr tranny in his N14 @ about 190bhp & is running low 15's.

Now I've got my daily drive the plan was to take the vzr off the road over winter to do the SR20 conversion on it.
Then I bought this:

N1 Head:
Photo0017.jpg

Photo0019.jpg

So the new plan is to build a high comp SR20VE N1 using the DE block from my old gti which will be honed & decked a little to raise the cr to 12-12.5:1 with N1 pistons & replace oil pump, water pump etc .
I'm hoping for around 200whp with this setup so I'm trying to find a decent tuner & engine shop in scotland to get the block work done & finally the mapping/tuning sorted, anyone know anywhere I could get the work done?

I wouldn't deck the head too much as I believe a VE head on DE block gives high comp anyway, and thats before you've fitted the N1 pistons.. I'd do some research on SR20FORUM to find out how close it'll be, as I know its VERY close to contact with 16VE pistons in a DE block with VE head and N1 cams..
Joe

N1 pistons in a DE block with VE head will be around 12.2:1, with N1 head it will be about 13.2:1. its close to contact with DE pistons, you can get away with SR16 cams but cant adjust cam timing, VE pistons have valve reliefs so all is good

gaz will be using N1 pistons so he will be fine boss, just to be on the safe side it might be a good idea to get the valve reliefs machined a little deeper :)

very nice project there, the sr20 forum will help tones pal. lonewolf iirc from aus had the same set up, very close to 200whp also. he gained circa 20whp from the N1 cams & 3'' cat back

Yep, thats the part that worries me a little. Bearing in mind the sr16 pistons are higher comp than the N1's I have been advised it will be ok but I'll clay the pistons & assemble the block & head first to check before any skim. I know Mazzworks have done VE builds using the old style CP pistons with the shallow reliefs & oversized valves with no valve/piston contact but I'd still like to check for myself.

gaz will be using N1 pistons so he will be fine boss, just to be on the safe side it might be a good idea to get the valve reliefs machined a little deeper :)

Would it be worth using the sr16 pistons & having a couple of mm shaved off the top, the reliefs are much deeper on them?
Or is a thicker head gasket to bring the cr down & incrase the distance between the pistons & cams a better plan.

to be honest mate, im not 100% but you would think the N1's would be deeper as the N1 cams have more lift and duration, plus the N1 head has 1mm off compared to normal SR16.

ive been saying to craig about getting the 9.0:1 CP pistons, those in a DE block with VE head will be 10.3:1 then with the N1 head should be 11.3:1 maybe not as high as planned but its still a nice CR for a street car, when you think a stock 20VE is 10.3:1 and standard N1 is 11.9:1

ooh nice build mate

i'm becoming more n more tempted by the n1 cams and n1 inlet mani etc off g-spec! :lol: 200whp just sounds too good :D

with mine i umm'd n aarrr'd for ages over pistons, and despite wezz's advice on gettin n1 pistons i have some how ended up orderin custom cp pistons for $600, think they'll be 11:1 i go for (not finalised yet) but nice deep reliefs etc. That's in a sr16ve head though, not an n1 so you have the extra mm off the head toconsider, hmmm...

How much are the n1 pistons and rings from g-spec likely to work out? i was surprised at the cost of custom cp's - then you could specify whatever. Then run the kelford cams like i'm trying to stop myself wanting to do! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom