Almera GTi Performance Upgrade options...

yeah thats because there still making power you couls rev a standard DE up to 9K but it would be making any power up there..

dave bulls car revs to 8.5K you just need the right set of cams some springs and retainers and rocker stoppers.

Kristian on here offers a complete turbo kit for your SR20DE using the GTi-Rs T28 turbo...

Pretty good system for the money, you get a drive(150bhp) in and then drive out (250-350bhp) service (a week or so)

Pretty cheap option too...he doesnt charge that much top do it

Any idea on the cost of that?? sounds sweet

Till any of these DE+T's last a decent length of time to prove thier reliability, I won't be jumping on that bandwagon just yet.

.. the good power bandwagon?..

What milage or length of time do you want to see out of one of my conversions?..

My original White N15 turbo engine is on for 3 + years.. and around 30k.. only sold it as i needed the cash at the time for the new premesis.. :(:(:(

..anyway

IMO the OP needs to buy an Almera GTI first.

Only reason for problems with the +T's is TJ suck and second hand injectors are a bad idea.

The strongest box available is the primera p11-114 box. There's around 5 SR20DE+T's on the site and IIRC, I don't think any of them had had any problem with the gearboxes. They run between 250bhp-320bhp. What sort of power you looking for? Dave Bull has gone through several of the primera boxes with around 400bhp. User th3t3ym4ster knows a gentleman who will build gearboxes with custom gearsets including nismo lsd's etc. It's £££ but if you're serious about a build like this, it could be worth it.

It's nearer the 500 bhp mark now...LOL!

Power isn't the issue for the gearboxes, torque is.

I recon that the P11-144 gearbox is good to 350lbft and after that you are asking for breakages.

dave doesnt run a disco potato.. he runs a some sort of hybrid.. alot bigger than a disco

the GT2871R is bigger than a disco potato and just as quick to spool up there the pwerect turbo for a 400BHP SR20 which is more than enough..

GTiR FMIC fits fine.. works well thats what everyone else uses..

Well remembered bud...it's a GT30 hybrid w/ GT40 comp' wheel...600 BHP woth of tubby!

Personally, I would like to see GT28RS on a VE...that would kill.

But if you want a good turbo for around the high 300's to 400 BHP mark then the GT2871R is the boy.

Could anyone elaborate on the P11 gearbox conversion ? links, tips whatever. I would like to know exactly what is involved in doing the conversion, and approximately how much it costs, thanks again for all your help guys - brilliant.

Could anyone elaborate on the P11 gearbox conversion ? links, tips whatever. I would like to know exactly what is involved in doing the conversion, and approximately how much it costs, thanks again for all your help guys - brilliant.

Piece of piss bud...

http://www.sr20forum.com/driveline-...1-b15-transmission-swap-into-b13-b14-p10.html

Pretty much everything is there that you need to know.

If you are still stuck, then give me a shout.

What people on here don't realise is that the QG18DE from the N16 Almera gear stacks fit into the P11-144 gearbox, giving the following ratios...

1st - 3.333
2nd - 1.955
3rd - 1.286
4th - 0.926
5th - 0.733

Final Drive - 4.437

That's about as close as you can get to the VZR gearbox, without actually having to source one.

Please note that the stacks must be from an early QG18DE N16 and not from a QG18DE powered P11-144

Well with DBull's input, I got to thinking about gear ratio's and how they compared, so I tried to gather a bit of info regarding ratio's that are most relevant to almera users.

Ive spent a bit of time trying to gather the data, then trying to make it presentable in an easy(ish) to understand format.

So, i'll start with comparing the gearing options available (the SR20 link sparked this idea off)

Comparisonofgearboxratios.jpg

Now ive made a list of various combinations to be able to compare the relationships of different gear ratio's and final drives, hopefully its not too difficult to understand.
Comparisonofgearboxratioswithmph-1.jpg

Now, trying to present that data in a way to understand, ive come up with the following (tyre profile used for all calculations is 195/50/15 - as I wasnt sure what the standard size is, and decided on changing gear at 7.5k)

GearRatiotoMPHSpeed-N15.jpg

GearRatiotoMPHSpeed-N16.jpg

GearRatiotoMPHSpeed-VZR.jpg

GearRatiotoMPHSpeed-P111999.jpg

GearRatiotoMPHSpeed-P1100-02.jpg

Now, im not really sure if this next bit works but I tried it anyway! lol, the following charts show the difference between all the available gear ratios (so you could see the difference between 1st gears of 3.036 and 3.333 ratio's for example, also you could compare say the 3.333 gear ratio at a 4.176 or 4.437 final drive to see what effect the final drive has on the gear ratio).

comparison1of2.jpg

comparison2of2.jpg

Maybe this will be of some use to people, if nothing else it killed a few hours of my time! lol

All the best.

PS : If there's any erroneous data in there, please let me know.

So, ive been thinking some more, and just have a few more questions ;

1) Does the almera come with a speed limiter as standard, and if so, how easy is it to bypass it ?

2) Are there 2 (or more) variants of the SR20VE ?, I think ive seen some quoted at 187bhp and some at 204bhp ? is this right ?

3) I quite often see references to "JDM", from my understanding JDM stands for Japanese Domestic Market, but im not sure of what relevance this has when referring to parts? are JDM parts better / of higher quality ?

4) Any good places (other than ebay) for buying parts? most places seem to be in the US, anywhere in the UK to buy parts ?

Thanks again for all the help.

1) No speed limiter.

2) There's the Primera P11 SR20VE (1997-2000) which is the widely used 190hp one. And there is the Primera P12 variant which is called the 20v and doesn't have 20 valves but is revamped and has 204hp. They are rare as hens teeth though.

3) yes it means that, it has no relevance to aftermarket parts, and it's just become a phrase to describe everything that comes out of Japan.

4) Unless your after universal parts to make fit. you won't find much in the way of parts for these cars.....their just not on the radar. Even if a UK supplier did source something for you they would just buy it from a US seller who you could of bought off anyway.

Thanks mate, that clears that up! :D

One more thing (sorry!), should the P11 gearbox for the almera conversion be from the "99" car or the "00-02" model ? (im assuming the 99 gearbox as this has the same ratios as the almera ?)

Im not sure what is meant by "P11-144", dont know what the -144 but relates to.

Thanks again.

The '144' gearbox is from the P11-144 which was the last run of P11's before they brought the P12 in, the gearbox has different ratios and is a stronger gearbox but it does require some modification for it to fit a N15.

The 99 is the same yes.

so am I right in assuming then that the P11-144 is from the 00-02 model and uses the ratios that I put in my previous list, or are you saying that is is only fitted to the last of the 99 models ?

Just trying to get in straight in my head - thanks! :D

so am I right in assuming then that the P11-144 is from the 00-02 model and uses the ratios that I put in my previous list

Yes that's correct.

or are you saying that is is only fitted to the last of the 99 models ?

No, all of the P11's up until the 144 have the same ratios as the N15, although some do have a different final drive (4.3). But lets not go there as no one knows why they did it or what ones it's fitted to.

Thanks for your help mate, much appreciated.

I made another little list which I have put in my previous post to compare the effect gear ratio's and final drives have on the mph, if anyone has any suggestions then let me know.

Im not sure, but in DBull's post he said about putting the N16 gears into the P11 gearbox, does this include the final drive ? I suppose what im trying to get at is, because the N16 uses a 4.437 final drive, and the P11 a 4.176 final drive, are the two interchangable ? (I put it on my list, but I dont know if its actually possible! lol)

What you would need would be the P11-144 gearbox.

You would then be able to swap gears from the N16 gear stacks into the P11-144 gearbox, albeit the 5th and final drive ratios (as the rest are the same).

Slightly off topic, but could anyone tell me what the standard C/R is for the SR20DE, SR20DET, SR20VE and SR20VET ?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom