Almera owner at last. my 5dr SRi

That 4-2-1 manifold, is that purely for sound or does it bring performance benefits?

and thanks guys.

My only problem is, i've the heaviest right foot in the world. Say I set off in to a 40 from standstill, I often red line first to 40. Due to being starved of power for so long. Need to stop though before she breaks, can't be healthy.

Few shots on the phone, digital cameras dead still. First ones I've taken myselfactually.

SRinew.jpg

nightshot.jpg

SRIbadpic.jpg

Gave her the first tight lane bendy road test earlier also. Went quite well, although felt a little out of control on 1 bend which wasn't good. It's because I was following a fiesta, which was nimbler and more agile at the corners.

another:

anothershotcopy.jpg

if your going for light tune get a K&N panel filter. loads better than the 57i on the GA. because the throttle body sits at the back the 57i is prone to heat soak = less power. at least with a drop in filterthe stock airbox gives a little bit of shielding. for proper tuning get a decent filter on a long reach pipe ala hopeless (formerly dales, then mine)

if your going for light tune get a K&N panel filter. loads better than the 57i on the GA. because the throttle body sits at the back the 57i is prone to heat soak = less power. at least with a drop in filterthe stock airbox gives a little bit of shielding. for proper tuning get a decent filter on a long reach pipe ala hopeless (formerly dales, then mine)

So would a K&N filter have any benefits besides sound like maybe making it a little nippier or whatever? And how much better/louder does the filter make it? Don't want it too loud. Thanks mate for the info.

K&N Panel filter over the 57i kit anyday. It'll sharpen up the throttle response and maybe add 1hp but it's the resposne you want. An uprated panel filter really won't add any noticeable extra noise.

As Tommo said, the 57i kits for the 1.4/1.6s are fucking sheeeiiittteee. Such a ridiculously poor piece of design.

K&N Panel filter over the 57i kit anyday. It'll sharpen up the throttle response and maybe add 1hp but it's the resposne you want. An uprated panel filter really won't add any noticeable extra noise.

As Tommo said, the 57i kits for the 1.4/1.6s are fucking sheeeiiittteee. Such a ridiculously poor piece of design.

Thank you mate, muchos appreciated. Do you know anywhere that'd sell one cheaper than the K&N website? All I need to do now is get paid and check my insurance see what they'll want etc. If it adds anymore than £10 a month i'm not bothered lol.

The panel won't do the heat soaking thing either btw? I'm also curious whether you guys think it's worth the money for the benefits, or whether it's not particularly noticeable difference.

HAHAHAHAHA. I've just opened up the air box to check before I bought one, it already has a K&N filter there. Saved me £30. I wondered why it sounded a little different to my mates 1.4.

Couple of pics here of better quality. Notice a few things if you can:

couple small dents in bonnet not sure if they're removable. One on rear door I think and the bumpers have scrapes on them. Any tips for this? Out of picture is like a scrape on the roof which looks to be turning towards rust in the near future and one where the door looks to have been slammed open spanning both the drivers door and front panel thing.

Hom removable are these types of things? Not sure if it's worth doing up yet being a 5 door is all, could replace in a few months. Or repair dints and buy coilovers. Not sure.

newSRifrontsmall.jpg

newSRirearsmall.jpg

I notice that your reg plate blanking skills have improved!

A decent bodyshop will sort the little dints/scrapes with ease.

It would look awesome slammed on some deep dish alloys, luci rears, P2 GTi fronts and JDM indicators, punto wiper, decent splitter etc etc.

Maybe with a two slat grille?

Can't see why you are so hung up on it being a 5 door, that is one sweet little whip.

I notice that your reg plate blanking skills have improved!

A decent bodyshop will sort the little dints/scrapes with ease.

It would look awesome slammed on some deep dish alloys, luci rears, P2 GTi fronts and JDM indicators, punto wiper, decent splitter etc etc.

Maybe with a two slat grille?

Can't see why you are so hung up on it being a 5 door, that is one sweet little whip.

I don't like half measures is all. It's either I use and abuse and replace, or make it perfect. To get it perfect might require a bit of cash before any mods can begin. Not to mention spending lots of money on a £700 car is rather weird. I do love her though. Would like more power though, which is strange after 1 week of ownership.

Where would one find info/prices etc of the stuff you listed?

PS: How far behind would the SRi be from a MG Zr 1.4 105 in a drag race standard?

Get over it being a 5 door, they're awesome. Spend the money, make it mint and be different to 90% of the other people on here. For more power, go manifold, modded airbox, FPR, advance timing. And get those coilovers you mentioned.

Get over it being a 5 door, they're awesome. Spend the money, make it mint and be different to 90% of the other people on here. For more power, go manifold, modded airbox, FPR, advance timing. And get those coilovers you mentioned.

Insurance currently £123 a month. How much would a manifold or modded air box etc raise that too? That's the question.

dude i was going to try and find a polite way to say this but struggled, so.... stop getting so hooked up on performance vs other cars. the ZR is a new car and despite the higher power figure it aint that special. dont forget, the GA series engine was designed in the 80's, with no changes bar fuel injection. aus got vtc but they're jammy fuckers. the mg/rover engines have gone with the times due to being more popular, to the point of making a 'performance' 1.4, the 105. id say, out in the twisties you'd whip him. in a straight line there wouldnt be a lot in it. all boils down to how big your balls are. i mean, you wouldnt expect a 1.3 micra to beat a mazda 323f v6 down a 1/4 mile would ya? according to parkers? raceworx pasted one at shakeys years ago. get it on track and you'll be surprised, theres more to cars than parkers price guide dude... rant over.

Manifold? No idea, I'm 19, 1 year NCB, my insurance is £835 with all mods declared (even though I haven't got round to fitting it the mani is declared), modded airbox you wouldn't need to tell the insurance company I wouldn't imagine, use your imagination to remove obvious restrictions in the engine bay, like that tiny air pipe for a start.

I havn't any NCB and i'm 18. Doesn't look good. CBA to wait a year for any mods though. Going to get a better paid job then it seems. And thanks tommo appreciate your input.

Back
Top Bottom