Change of direction Daily to Track toy

Nissan Almera - N16 1.5 ltr Phase 1 Entry level:

Ok guys I bought my N16 last April and my sole intention for it was to take the strain off of GTT and to take over the duties of my daily commute. It was also important that it was cheap to run and ecconomical.

Now the N16 was a replacement for my much loved but briefly owned K11 micra that served me faithfully for the six months prior to buying the Almera (thanks G). I miss the lil bug but it's still alive a kicking with a work colleague that won't be rid of it for a long while yet and gets regular services from moi.

The funniest memory of owning that car was the day before Ace Cafe 2009 Big Col & Nabs came to stay with us and the lil micra was our transport for the night out when a local twat decided to not give way on a narrow road despite a space being available for them to do so. The usual stand off occurred until both Col and I got out of the micra and the driver promptly shat his pants and reversed to give us way. ;)

777f7075.jpg

Any way back to the N16 which you can just see in the corner of the pic above, now when I bought the car I was given a very good and extensive service history and the car had wanted for nothing as the previous owner was luckily enough married to possibly the one person that most of us wished lived south of the boarder with all his extensive knowledge of most things mechanical & especially Nissan.

The list of recently carried out work was a definite plus in buying this car and I wasn't surprised that the car drove like it was brand new when I went to pick it up & drive back South.

A replacement timing chain had been fitted along with brand new brakes all round - discs and pads. The front cross member had also been replaced as it had suffered with rot (a common fault on these apparently). Front fog lights had also been fitted along with a 144 wiper stalk to allow for intermittent wiper motion that isn't standard on the entry level.

The drive back home was a steady revelation as on one tank of fuel I got over 437 miles and the neeedle hadn't even gone into the red and I'm far from easy on the loud pedal...;)

Now I had decided that I wasn't going to carry out any modifications on the car just keep her clean and well maintained so I could spend my time & effort on GTT. This lasted all of a month when I had enough of the gear knob and decided it needed changing for something more me and less annoying especially as I was used to the smooth B&M gear knob in GTT. So I searched long and hard on our favourite auction site and wished I'd never started as I couldn't decide what to get but eventually decided on this chrome snooker/pool ball type.

Before
ce1bdc1e.jpg

After
c9a713d9.jpg

07e969e2.jpg

Apart from a good clean and vaccum that was it on the car until 2011 came around. I will post up some pics shortly when PB isn't playing silly buggers and provide updates on what has gone on in 2011.

Hopefully you've changed more than just the gearstick knob, lol !

Actually yes but loading the pics I took etc and finding some of them has me held up but I'll have some updates shortly, nothing wrong with just changing the gear knob as a start?! ;)

So I'm guessing you don't like the replacement either?:confused:

Ok as I'm having drama's with the pictures at present here is a list of parts thus far that have been bought/sourced for my lil N16:

Drivers front brake caliper and new pads
4 x GTLE Enkei alloy wheels with 2 x falkens 2 x Kumho tyres
Both rear brake calipers as hand brake had failed
Nismo Strut brace
Chrome kick plates
Electric power mirrors
Keyless remote kit
Replacement rear tailgate and spolier
Side skirts
Sport + interior full
Colour coded bump strips and door handles

Still a few more bits planned if the right parts come available at the right price and will update thread with before and after pics in due course...

Right here are some early pics from my ownership of my lil runner, as you can see despite this being the entry level it was far from standard fair with OEM Nissan fog lights fitted in addition to a P11-144 wiper stalk for intermittant wiper control and a phase two rear wiper arm and clear side indicatior lamps:

db40df4e.jpg

44248a45.jpg

c0b5c676.jpg

The first modification out of the way and routine servicing carried out including replacing the driverside front caliper and pads, I was lucky enough to source a set of GTLE alloy wheels with near new tyres on for a very good price from my pal EdK in addition to this I picked up a replacement passenger side wing as the one on the car had developed some rot near where the bumper connects to it. I also picked up the rear tailgate with OEM spoiler from his once great DCI (it will be missed).

So after getting home in the near dark I couldn't help but get them fitted as the existing tyres were only just legal. So here are a few pics at the petrol station as it was too dark to see them without daylight [lol]

3b797b40.jpg

55d331f4.jpg

237fd6e3.jpg

You can just make out the rust on the last picture but it turned out to be a lot worse when I took the wing off so I decided not to delay and put the replacement one on before getting it sprayed in KL0. Following on from that my hand brake had failed and I decided to grab a rear set of calipers then refurb the ones I took off. These were sourced via ebay and went on without any dramas and the cars braking response was better then ever.

I also took it upon myself to fit the spoiler to my existing tailgate and well for want of a better word fitted it slightly pissed and due to not having the plastic gromets water was able to leak in so I decided to get the spare from Ed and fit that as the spoiler had originally been on it.

39adb7ee.jpg

2f66e812.jpg

So the tailgate went of to my mate John's for him to paint when he had some spare time and I pressed on with some other bits and bobs...

While I was deciding on what to do with the spoiler and colour scheme I had decided to add remote key locking to my N16 with a little kit I found on ebay. After some help from members from AOC & NPOC I managed to get them fitted and working but there are a few tweeks that I will undertake when I get a little more time to experiment with the kit I've got.

1f8d0cf9.jpg

I also decided to get a set of HID's for the car as I was tired of driving by candle light these were the new slimline ones with the plastic casing so no rust on the casing with these ones.

Also thanks to Rick from AOC I managed to source some electric mirrors and the wiring loom as my driverside one had been damaged earlier in the year. Just as well as despite the connection to the switch being there the doors lacked any connectors damn Nissan are strange in how they build their cars.

Along with the mirror I recieved a set of chrome kick plates with "Almera" etched on them again OEM and some internals for the electric windows as I was also planning on retro fitting rear electric windows.

I have a few more parts on route from Rick but I'll wait till they are here and fitted to go into more detail.

Colour coded as well bonus
0e61e29f.jpg

5771a435.jpg

The all important switch
f9f9ea89.jpg

Before fitting
e0df5dc0.jpg

5c5b4c63.jpg

25bacfae.jpg

After pics will follow after I finish work as I must dash...

Right here are some early pics from my ownership of my lil runner, as you can see despite this being the entry level it was far from standard fair with OEM Nissan fog lights fitted in addition to a P11-144 wiper stalk for intermittant wiper control and a phase two rear wiper arm and clear side indicatior lamps:

db40df4e.jpg

44248a45.jpg
those 2 pics aint of the car i sold you, and defo don;t carry the W38ssd rego,
BTW the clears where from factory not a mod. lol

those 2 pics aint of the car i sold you, and defo don;t carry the W38ssd rego,
BTW the clears where from factory not a mod. lol

Well it took you long enough to spot my deliberate insertion of those images, guess the 3-door was obvious and the licence plate on the 1st was a dead giveaway to such a keen eye??? lol

Right back to the pictures with a few more bits added but still oh so much more to do...

Replacement phase 2 wing, which required minor modification to the metal clip for the p2 headlights to clip into but apart from that a perfect fit (with use of a few cable ties), yes I forgot to press the dent out before fitting.
237ad378.jpg

6905aa9d.jpg

Colour coded electric mirrors
d855ec9b.jpg

ebbcae23.jpg

HID ballast mounting points
3ceb85c9.jpg

3eb41727.jpg

37e5f33f.jpg

fba58748.jpg

Tailgate off nice empty boot...
c8842f29.jpg

Old one off waiting to be harvested for spares
02fae652.jpg

Right a minor update today just a few bits installed on to the car, Genuine Nissan N16 sun shades for the rear and side windows and some uber nice chrome kick plates with Almera etched on them.

No before pics as just wanted these fitted ASAP but here are a few of them in place:

Shiney
ad9790ef.jpg

02fa732d.jpg

Not quite tints, but removable so all is gd for now
0c0c55ca.jpg

ecc6af06.jpg

482df32e.jpg

5e7c17e1.jpg

efc9cc29.jpg

Here a few of the spoiler fitted properly to the freshly painted tailgate, I'm toying with the idea of having it stay in that colour and doing the bumper strips in this colour and the doors colour coded to silver what do you think?
ea2b457c.jpg

84646ed7.jpg

47f4b7cd.jpg

Personally i'd have the lot in silver, especially if you ever plan on getting your hands on Sport+ side skirts. Despite deep down being an N15 fanboy, fully colour coded Sport+'s will always give me a bit of a twitch. Thats my opinion anyways!

Edit: Looking good by the way! Its always the small things that make a car look so different :)

looking good rich, but i have to agree with the others and say to match the spoiler/skirts and bumpstrips to the car and it will add to the win factor! :shades:

Personally i'd have the lot in silver, especially if you ever plan on getting your hands on Sport+ side skirts. Despite deep down being an N15 fanboy, fully colour coded Sport+'s will always give me a bit of a twitch. Thats my opinion anyways!

Edit: Looking good by the way! Its always the small things that make a car look so different :)

Thanks she is taking shape very well so far and yes side skirts are on way collection @ Japfest thanks Liam.

looking good rich, but i have to agree with the others and say to match the spoiler/skirts and bumpstrips to the car and it will add to the win factor! :shades:

With regards to the colour scheme I don't want the car to just be like any other sport + wannabe I want it to have my stamp on it. I will need to get someone to photoshop me what the car will look like with techno grey spoiler bump strips but KL0 door strips as I'm thinking it will look subtle but not out of place? Where is Ed when you need him??? ;)

Ok here are a few more pictures of the car with the newly painted tailgate and spoiler fitted. I kinda like the de-badged look I may stick with it what do you think?

3e180eec.jpg

2b5c58cc.jpg

Also a few side on shots to help get a photo shop of possible colour schemes as mentioned earlier

a9bcefe5.jpg

d9165d53.jpg

Back
Top Bottom