Craigs New Datsun Sunny

my VE sucked a litter of oil up when i first put it in.. a later oil change showed the oil had settled somewhere in the engine.. i dropped it a few months later and got all t=5.5 litters back out.. the oil was always on the full mark.

hmmm thats odd, i'll hope that happens lol

47 pages, mostly full of numbers and maths.

WANT MOAR PICS

wow do i have one of those technical threads that noobs don't look at?! man thats cool, big boys shit :lol:

what pics corbs? of the actual car or the regular dismantling that takes place?!

also, whats acceptable oil use? a lot of american sites are sayin a quart/1.1litre per 1000miles? and does anyone know how much top mark to bottom mark on the dipstick represents?

EDIT: other thing is, if it's burning so much bloody oil why can i not see obvious smoke, only occassionally at high revs i think, and why are my plugs dry and tan coloured???

Once Nissan told me an SR20 will take around 1 litre per 1000 miles.

Didnt you say one of the barrels feels rough??

What i would do is run it, a nice run to scotland and back should be good for it. If its rough it might bed in with the current rings and stop drinking oil. My DE uses about 1 litre per 750 miles, but bear in mind its a high miler and i see smoke at high revs

@Wezz - I though for example using the 20VE pistons, the compression would be higher in a DE block than a VE??? If not then thats Win Win for me :)

The smoke at high revs is probably burning off what has leaked from you're old valve seals. Like ian said it could be filling a hole somewhere inside the engine, if you're plugs look good then it's obviously burning right so its either filling a gap or it must be leaking somewhere.

yeh this is whats weird, my plugs look perfect, compression is good (although obv that doesn't show oil rings)

anyway, any answers to the questions re. diagnosing rings for definite, leakdowns, why they would be wrong in the first place....

TBH i think you should make sure for definate that it is using a lot of oil cos as i said before the smoke may be from existing oil being burnt off from you're old leaky valve seals. Have you checked the levels since you changed the seals and put the head back on?

Have you checked the levels since you changed the seals and put the head back on?

well changed the oil after head went back on, done like 100miles since and seems to have moved down the dipstick a few mm

could just be settling into engine like you say, but have seen some blue smoke at times i think. I'll put oil at top of dipstick before goin up north and see where it ends up

Yeah do that and then you'll know for sure, i bet the smoke clears on the run up north, i wouldnt worry if it only drops down a little bit.

What oil did you run the motor in on, and what are you running now?

ran in on 10/40 mineral oil, then went to 5w/40 fully synth, then thought that was a bit much and put 15w/40 semi in to see.

just been to pick up the mrs, and went for a 10minute thrashin (of the car) and with her lookin out the back and me revvin tits off in lit up areas she couldn't see any smoke. here's hoping

well as corwin was complaining about a lack of pics i thought i'd take a few with my phone on a recent overnight stop in the lakes...

on kirkstone pass, where me n jess reached at like 12.30am after the bum love with wezz, couldn't be bothered with the tent so slept in the car, corbeau buckets aren't comfortable lol....

013.jpg

a few of them there hills when me n jess went for a wander...up in the clouds is scafell pike taken from about halfway up. we didn't have time to go up top today :(

015.jpg

022.jpg

018.jpg

and a few more of the car on a section of twisty road between wrynose and hardknott pass, the steepest road in england at like 30%....

030.jpg

031.jpg

037.jpg

car was spot on for the 500mile round trip, and as for the oil consumption i was worried about, it got through 150ml in the 500miles. Not shit loads but not perfect, mostly a bit smoky on start-up.

not overly sure what i'm gonna do next, tempted to just strip it and re-ring and shave pistons a touch after measuring combustion chamber etc, hmmmm

Back
Top Bottom