Craigs New Datsun Sunny

wamt - fried rings

engines on 5k miles so i thought i'd give it a little compression test today

results:

dry test

290psi, 290, 260, 190

wet test

300+, 300+, 290, 290

which is rather gheyyyyy, considering the fact it doesn't smoke at all, pulls like a train as the in-car vid showed the other day, uses no water. Nothing.

so why or how it's gone is beyond me, but meh this is just another regular service item for lucky old me.

I have a spare block in the shed i might build up with either 87mm or 90mm pistons.

In the meantime i'm still gonna rape the lobe loving arse off it, it feels faster than it ever has, much quicker than when it dyno'd 207bhp on surrey, i reckon it'd still pull a decent figure on HLM, or 1/4 mile time so i might just go n find out anyway.

and you can shove your fisher price comments up your arses cos ring end gaps n everything were checked and for a long time comp tests showed even across the board. so nerrrrrrrrrrrrr :P

yeh cheers mate, will do probably

it doesn't really phase me this shit anymore lol

whats annoying me more is why it's gone, what made it when not that long ago compression was even. and how it seems to pull better than ever with the readings like that...

only thing i can think is theres some mid range knock still lurking about and has weakened stuff over time

Such a shame mate I loved watching that vid of it, proper beast.

precisely, hence why i'm confused

wonder what it'll be like with even compression, the new header i'm still gonna order, my IM ported out, some manley rods and it all mapped properly with more midrange power and vvl switching right! :D

if anything it's a good thing, second time round will be awesome, especially if i can manage 90mm bore

This is why I haven't checked mine, it feels great so why do I need that dissapointment if something has gone. Haha

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

This is why I haven't checked mine, it feels great so why do I need that dissapointment if something has gone. Haha

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

hahaha, exactly my thuoghts before and after testing it lol

i tested it like a gazillion times, then i went halfrauds and bought a new compression tester. sadly it didn't change :lol:

Sorry to hear mate, altho if its pulling like a train i wouldnt worry, check it again tomorrow see if its any different, sometimes you can get wrong readings because of many reasons.

Just woundering did you fit new rings, also did you fit them all with the markings facing up and all ring gaps not inline?
You may have answered these questions already if so sorry lol its quicker asking than searching though your thread lol.

Daniel

- Sent using my mums pink laptop -

Sorry to hear mate, altho if its pulling like a train i wouldnt worry, check it again tomorrow see if its any different, sometimes you can get wrong readings because of many reasons.

Just woundering did you fit new rings, also did you fit them all with the markings facing up and all ring gaps not inline?
You may have answered these questions already if so sorry lol its quicker asking than searching though your thread lol.

Daniel

- Sent using my mums pink laptop -

yeh complete cp piston set, new rings, all the right ways up, staggered ring ends to reduce blowby

like i say the comp tests used to show even across the board, it doesn't smoke, anything

and here's my vid which shows it's not slow

[video=youtube;VVI5k9CrV5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVI5k9CrV5o[/video]

must be engine knock or something causing it to weaken i spose. damnit vtak did this, vvl woulda got rid of any chance of mid range knock but damn vtak meant 5-6k was very close to knocking iirc

lol does shift that like, maybe its because its not mapped safe, like you said it would even things out if the cams were switching inderpendantly.

next question is 87mm, risk 88mm on stock liners.....or get block sleeved by one of joe's sketchy engine building mates and go 90 or 92mm

need to speak to the man about the sleeving but if it's all good i might go 92mm, even if the block fucks up or owt i've got the 92mm pistons for when i can afford a mazworx prepped block :D

I may be asking you the obvious, did you comp test the engine with a wide open throttle and on a hot engine? And a fully charged battery with all the spark plugs out too?

I may be asking you the obvious, did you comp test the engine with a wide open throttle and on a hot engine? And a fully charged battery with all the spark plugs out too?

unfortunately yes

seems odd though doesn't it, could it be a compression ring can go randomly and not oil rings? I suppose if it was knock that caused it the compression rings take the hit

Back
Top Bottom