craiGTi's ph2 GTi

Is this a dodgy reflection where the repeater was or is it in fact as smooth as Joe's bottom?

100_2169.jpg

bit of both i think matey :lol:
it need rubbing down some more tho, i just did my best as craig is preping it again tomorro, when i give it to him,
also had a prob with the indicator hole, the 2 side edges whre the clips go in had bent the metal out slightly and couldnt quite bend them in (without using a hammer), so there are 2 very small bumps, but with basecoat and laquer they should go almost :)

you can see them bits on this one ed
100_2159.jpg

Well after JAE and my last position in the show n shine - (which i obviously don't care about! :P) me n girv thought we'd try n tidy it up a bit...

PA210104crop.jpg
PA210110.jpg

PA210112.jpg
PA210113.jpg

PA2101032.jpg
PA200062.jpg

PA200053.jpg
PA200059.jpg

So we resprayed it! :D It's bs7 blue as a basecoat, then with 4 layers of lacquer over it. First layer of lac has an electric blue candy pearl powder in it, 2nd lac has a green ghost pearl in, then 2 layers of pure clear lac to finish off giving enough thickness for a decent wet sand!

We didn't use loads of the pearl colours, so it's not massively different to bs7, but as you can see from the pics it changes a lot in different light conditions - i really need the sun to come out to show the pearl off properly!

Also, got front wings with smoothed side repeaters, just need bulge indicators, smoothed rear wiper and roof aerial.

It isn't perfect by any means, it still needs a decent wet sand with 2-3k wet n dry and then a compound to get it properly smooth and shiny. Also, the passenger side of the car isn't great, we had an issue with a few fisheyes developing where the paint seemed to react funnily, and the first line of pearl we sprayed on that side went on a bit heavy and looks a touch runny :(

tbh, the passenger side could be doin with being sprayed again, if not the whole car, to get a really good finish. But it was an experiment, it's not come out too badly and we both learnt loads and did an OK job in a pretty poor set-up and place to do it. So i'm happy, and there's not quite the stone chips n scratches there was before! :P and it was relatively cheap at a few hundred quid. Good fun too.

Tested mine and girv's friendship too, so many days spent fuckin around with it, til 4am one mornin! :eek: Gettin bored and stressed with each other. We shared some good times too, like the romantic mcdonalds eaten in his car gazing out over the fields :D Or the little nap we had together til 2am after fallin asleep with a few beers watchin fast and furious on the hay bales! :lol: :gay:

I'll put a few pics up of the process shortly too...

Looks brilliant mate!! Well done for attempting something like this yourself. Wana swap? :lol: Car looks awesome with the square plate, standard grill etc. Any reason why you got the P2's in some pics and the VZR's in others?? Sounds like a Brokeback Mountain time you two had :D

We started off by giving it a thorough sand down for the primer to key to obviously, then tackled the rust on the rear arches...

PA020114.jpg
PA040112.jpg

got the car all sanded and filled the rear arches...

PA040124.jpg
PA040119.jpg

was pleased to see my sills lookin good after removing the skirts, and then got the car into our make shift "booth" :cool:

PA040114.jpg
PA050126.jpg

Sam girvan - earth song. and me surveying the mess we'd made so far from above...

PA040118.jpg
PA040122.jpg

primer, then bs7

PA050128.jpg
PA050100.jpg

i asked girv for his 'come too bed' look to make the car look sexy - i now feel sorry for his girlfriend

PA050103.jpg

then tried the new look with vzr rears, and the bumpers in the sunlight as sprayed by me very hands :D

PA090098.jpg
PA080098.jpg

and did a bit of wet sanding to have a quick look what it might come out like...

PA190050.jpg

Was great fun, but thank fuck it's over! sick of the sight of the thing, so it'll be a little while before the final wet sand, and definitely before i get the motivation back to respray the bits we fucked up :rolleyes: :lol:

as you were

Looks brilliant mate!! Well done for attempting something like this yourself. Wana swap? :lol: Car looks awesome with the square plate, standard grill etc. Any reason why you got the P2's in some pics and the VZR's in others?? Sounds like a Brokeback Mountain time you two had :D

yeh, vzr's only arrived in the post today - other pics are from yesterday :)

yeh it was a little brokeback-esque :lol: and yeh i much preferthe square plate, standard grill... and single wiper straight out of 1996 max power :cool: :P

don't get too carried away though guys, it ain't perfect in the flesh!

OMG thats beautiful work done!!!!

This is also planned to do for myselve when i have got to give my driverslicence to the cops for a few weeks :D
But i will fix myselve more to the bottom of the car :D

What happened to the other VZR's? Think I'd cry taking sandpaper to my car!!

stu had them as a swap for the momo wheel and light battery, i was gonna wait and have them back off him at crimbo, but couldn't wait! the ph2's really weren't doin it for me

and yeh, even though it was stone chipped before, sandin it for the first time i was brickin it!

haha, cheers boys^^

phil did a few photoshops of wheels for me too...

PA210101grey2.jpg
PA210101low.jpg

PA210101blackorange.jpg

i like the plain gunmetal personally...

if anyone wants to put vzr skirts on one of the other pics from the previous page it'd be much appreciated - only phil's not reached that level of chopping yet :P :lol:

Back
Top Bottom