craiGTi's ph2 GTi

yeh the novelty's wearing off the old DIY respray with no experience :(

anyone who saw the pics a few pages ago and thought 'oooh, maybe i'll give it ago' - don't unless you have stupid amounts of time on your hands - like weeks!

if you've got some decent experience maybe, but for a n00b it was probably a stupid thing to try, especially to try and be a smart arse and put the pearl layers on too :lol: Admittedly a lot of it looks quite good and with a fine wet sand and compound would probably look awesome.

BUT, the things we fucked up or that didn't go quite right might take ages to sort, if I can even do them without respraying whole panels or even the whole thing! Some of the filling leaves something to be desired, the bonnet looks a bit streaky in the wrong light, and the passenger door looks shocking with random 'fisheyes' or craters i think they're called.

Just wet sanding it properly is gonna take days i think, which i don't really have, let alone touching up little bits or respraying any panels etc - could be a while before it looks properly good :(

From a couple of metres away it looks pretty awesome, but if you're a perfectionist and are gonna get annoyed with even little defects, maybe think twice unless you have weeks to spend!

I'm sure me n girv could do it now, given the right environment andmore time, but we were in a slightly dusty, cramped room, and were tryna get it done too quick.

:( :(

Mate it was rusty and battered before, looks fine now. Wash it and take some pics, you'll feel better about it I promise.

With a polish it should come out alright. Its not like you cant just do it again is it.

Painting is not a game for the impatient man. Hvaing said that you've done a sterling job Craig especially with the conditions you had to work with AND it being your first go. I applaud you sir :D. Practice makes perfect after all and exactly as corbs said, you can always do it again in the future.

Mate it was rusty and battered before, looks fine now. Wash it and take some pics, you'll feel better about it I promise.

With a polish it should come out alright. Its not like you cant just do it again is it.

cheers dude, yeh i can do it again, tbh if it all looked like a lot of it i'd be well chuffed - it's just certain bits. i'll post some pics later! :P

WHAT DID I TELL YOU CRAIG.

explain yourself. NOW.

your getting a good hard spanking at the nunny meet for your disobediance

:P when i say quick i mean all day every day for like 2-3 weeks. hours, hours n hours :P

it probably wasn't speed, just inability, bad luck - and being a smart arse doing the pearl layers. the bs7 went on easy

here's the more annoying bits...

PA230045.jpg
PA230049.jpg

that passenger door has a line of that runny effect all along the top, just below the window. and there may be 1 or 2 more of those crater lookin things.

the right picture was where we had an accident on the roof rail bit, tried to repair it, but came out that weird effect?! :confused:

like corbs says though, i can always do it again :)

thats fuck all dude!
the only reason its so orange peel is because the panels havent been as warm so the paint has flowed together enough to sit flatter.
using such a big area as you did by the looks of it! to much air flow, not enough cooking!

if you see were the dark spots are compared the the light thats were its not even if you wet flat t with 2000 grit it'll smooth out!

then just mask the edges and get a buffer on it with G3 liquid not paste though!
then when you finished giving it a buff use feracle wax top polish ;)

you done well me friend!

pearl is hard to spray you have to have it so even its unreal!

unless the colour shades are under the lacquer?

if thats the case thats because you sanded your last layer of base colour! when you shouldnt

you should only dust on the last coat to fill any wetflat marks

On the right that looks just like Wayne said, a sanded last base coat. I did this on my mud gaurds and recent bumper touch up but then learnt you shouldnt :rolleyes:. I swear it wasnt in any how to I've read on here and seems like it's something new in the art of painting in the last month or so :lol:.

thats fuck all dude!
the only reason its so orange peel is because the panels havent been as warm so the paint has flowed together enough to sit flatter.
using such a big area as you did by the looks of it! to much air flow, not enough cooking!

if you see were the dark spots are compared the the light thats were its not even if you wet flat t with 2000 grit it'll smooth out!

then just mask the edges and get a buffer on it with G3 liquid not paste though!
then when you finished giving it a buff use feracle wax top polish ;)

you done well me friend!

pearl is hard to spray you have to have it so even its unreal!

unless the colour shades are under the lacquer?

if thats the case thats because you sanded your last layer of base colour! when you shouldnt

you should only dust on the last coat to fill any wetflat marks

cheers dude, some of that really helps. My bonnet looks a tad streaky in plac es and i think thats cos we didn't sand properly between basecoat layers, i did just dust the top one which made it a lot better, but you can still see it comin through a touch.

As for the orange peely lookin bits, it's kinda under the lac but not! :lol: We did 4 coats in total, the first had the blue candy pearl in, the second had the green ghost, then 2 just clears on top to make it nice n thick for a wet sand. I think those runs and orange peel are in the first coat of lac with the blue pearl injudgin by the colour of them close up. So i don't think i can wet sand back enough to flatten them without takin off nearly all the lac! Shoulda done it after that first coat if i'd known what i was doin i guess!

I think after readin that mate, if i was to do it again, and had a warmer environment to do it in, i could prob get it sorted so cheers for the advice :)

On the right that looks just like Wayne said, a sanded last base coat. I did this on my mud gaurds and recent bumper touch up but then learnt you shouldnt :rolleyes:. I swear it wasnt in any how to I've read on here and seems like it's something new in the art of painting in the last month or so :lol:.

thinkin about it, cos we were tryna blend in a repair :O :lol: i could have sanded further than i sprayed the last base coat and not realised :mad: :O :rolleyes:

balls!!

i love you craig

and i love wayne

:lol:

you love me for being stupid enough to try this, and you love wayne for tryin so desperately to make me feel better right?! :P :lol:

n00b question, by big area you mean tryna spray too wide an area/fan in one line kinda thing mate? should it be narrower?

cheers dude, some of that really helps. My bonnet looks a tad streaky in plac es and i think thats cos we didn't sand properly between basecoat layers, i did just dust the top one which made it a lot better, but you can still see it comin through a touch.

As for the orange peely lookin bits, it's kinda under the lac but not! :lol: We did 4 coats in total, the first had the blue candy pearl in, the second had the green ghost, then 2 just clears on top to make it nice n thick for a wet sand. I think those runs and orange peel are in the first coat of lac with the blue pearl injudgin by the colour of them close up. So i don't think i can wet sand back enough to flatten them without takin off nearly all the lac! Shoulda done it after that first coat if i'd known what i was doin i guess!

I think after readin that mate, if i was to do it again, and had a warmer environment to do it in, i could prob get it sorted so cheers for the advice :)

yeah thats were experiance comes into play unfortunately.

getting it just right! how to use your air and fan.

i could have been picky and saved you alot of time if you had asked previous! as you never had to go right back like you did which would have saved you ALOT of sanding :P

simply wet flat each primer coat, wet flat every base colour coat! with 1000/1200 grit!
Dust on the final coat with more air and wider fan.

dont wet flat any laquer! even if you get a run! then you can 1200-2000 grit wet flat when its cured of 24 hours!

i love you craig

and i love wayne

MWAH

thinkin about it, cos we were tryna blend in a repair :O :lol: i could have sanded further than i sprayed the last base coat and not realised :mad: :O :rolleyes:

n00b question, by big area you mean tryna spray too wide an area/fan in one line kinda thing mate? should it be narrower?

blending a repair is slightly different as it depends on what repair it is! if you have to catty in or not! as paint will sink into the catty! this is were you can polyester spray filler to stop this happening!
Bare metals use etch primer instead of celly.

when spraying if you spray the centre of the fan ontop of were the outer line was on your previous passing you will get a more even shading ;)

and no i ment in big area as in location! to much space! to much air travel across the car will cause the panels to go cold and you want them warm to be able to take the paint better! doesnt totally matter (well unless you start using waterbase paint now) as base paint sets through evaporation thus the heat to the panels! were as waterbase dries through air flow lol having warm panels still helps though.

to start with time is the best thing you can get. thin coats it doesnt matter if you apply 5 coats if they are thin enough! because if they are thin enough you can layer it better! without runs :)

even if you get runs in the lacquer its ok because a full drip still consists of fluid right through!

the trick when sanding it is to take your time and use a sanding block with no lower than 1000 (on a smooth surface) and work you way down the drip till you start getting a smooth flat consistency - using the lighter and darker spots to see how flat it is!

then just G3 it and polish to finish!

cheers dude, we didn't paint it i that big open barn lol, but still i see your point about air and cold and it was def too cold when/where we did it.

right, think i'll be doin it again at some point then!

now i don't know whether to bother with any more base coat or jus scotch it and spray it with the blue candy pearls in the lac. Readin up on the website where i got the pearl powder from, enough of the blue candy pearl mixed per litre of lac makes it opaque to basecoat anyway.

probably a risky strategy though given the evenness needed with pearls :lol: - and i''ll definitely try n find a better, warmer place to do it next time ;)

EDIT - ther that or just re-do the passenger door and ignore the other bits and be happy lol

ere craig your motor is looking cool man, at the end of the day it looks better than it did before,
rust :lol:

wayne! wicked reading up about paining ! dont suppose you could take 10 mins of your precious time to write up a rough how too guide, so when me and ed get our compressor and spray kit in dec we can have a go at some our selves :)

cheers babezzzzz

yeh it don't look too bad i spose, from the drivers side - i just want the sun to come out to show the pearls up!

PA230045-1.jpg

:D

Back
Top Bottom