Hallys Trop Green GTi

everyone needs to pull that fuel filler cover off and clean behind it, you will cry when you see whats back there

Well, the 'cave' is caused by a spot where 3 layers of metal are pressed together forming a water/moisture/mud trap. If you look at Dave's second pic, there's an inner and outer skin, and a third in the middle that comes from the inside. So when you see it on the inside of the car it's already gone through 3 layers.

my thoughts are its life preservation. so no need to weld up all three skins. once the rot has eaten them, its no longer a trap so covering up the inner arch is sufficient.

i just done ricks last week. checked mine tonight and they are solid on outside of the car :D

Not if you leave the inner layers rusty though, they'll just rot more and more? If you weld it back horizontally though it won't be a trap and will still brace the plates.

Not if you leave the inner layers rusty though, they'll just rot more and more? If you weld it back horizontally though it won't be a trap and will still brace the plates.

its taken 15 years to get bad. its got another 5 years on the internal plate by my reckoning.

people just need to regularly pressure wash the batcave up there to get the shit out.

everyone needs to pull that fuel filler cover off and clean behind it, you will cry when you see whats back there

I had a look up there the other day wheel off there is some rust up behind there however its not coming through where the seatbelt mounts are which is odd! The Plastic cover just fell off in my hand and a lawns worth of soil fell out on the floor!

My next car gonna have no fucking rust at all eeek

Not buying a nissan then? lol.

If the old area isn't cleaned up fully the new metal will only rust faster than the old stuff. Quite scary how bad it can get. I'm sure if you got in to Rick's boot you could just about turn the rear wheel with your hand.

P.s. hawleeee your car is suhweet

Not buying a nissan then? lol.

If the old area isn't cleaned up fully the new metal will only rust faster than the old stuff. Quite scary how bad it can get. I'm sure if you got in to Rick's boot you could just about turn the rear wheel with your hand.

P.s. hawleeee your car is suhweet

Not any more, but yeah you could see the wheel from the boot on the offside arch.

Arches are getting fully undersealed shortly.

What you didn't see in the pictures is after the plate was welded in, i used nearly half a tub of bead sealant (the same stuff that the car has from factory) slapping it up into the crack and on the new plate and then on top of that, tigerseal as Hally had kindly brought some, otherwise i just generic black silicone like you can see on top of the welds on the inside. That will stop any newly exposed metal rusting quickly.

Once it's gone off properly i'd ideally like to apply even more then underseal on top again. But Hally was only here for one day so it's something he can choose to do.

Also as most of us are aware now, it's important to get that jet wash up into that area regularly. Only large deposits of salty grit will make it rot through quickly. There's one other area the mera rusts badly but Hally's was solid and that's in that little corner at the front of the rear wheel. Micras and Sunnys do the same. Micras probably being the worst culprit.

uploadfromtaptalk1313132942443.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1313132962204.jpg

Couple of random pics for no reason, testing the new phone camera.

Sent from my Nexus S

Reactions: -B-
Good quality pics, camera phones finally getting better?

-mobile phone post-

Still 5mp like the desire, but the software processing must be better

Sent from my Nexus S

Back
Top Bottom