My new GTi

Pics updated

Crimbo is now over for us students so back to the workshop to work on the car!!!!

Engines just being finished off on the stand. Cams are in and but had some trouble with the timing chain marks so had to go back on ourselfs. Cold air feed and is going to be fitted in the next few weeks, just trying to plan where to run it though. I want a direct feed without running through the rad, so side of bumper or indicator may feel the rath of a hacksaw! Modifications to new manifold are gonna be made before the engines dropped back in, americans love there sensor holes too much. Suspension is fitted but not set up, cars sitting on its arse with no engine in!!! Still unsure what brakes to get as the little pot of cash seems to be sitting a bit low!!!!

Should be finished, track tested and set-up by easter!!!!

Engines finished!

Few problems on the way.....

Snapped a few bolts of on the front plate so had to take that back off and get them back out. This would of been easy if it used a normal gasket, but no, liquid gasket! which sucked as silicone gasket is a bitch to remove.

Fitted sump aonly to find one of the bolts had stripped the thread off from the Block. Once again had to remove it, clean it and then re-tap it!!!!

All finally done!!!!!

Doing work on manifold as weldings pretty shite. Going to re-weld and grind it down to give it a better finish.

Will chuck more up on cardomain.

Just thought id update where the cars at. Engine was finally dropped back in last night. Cams, gears, flywheel, clutch, HKS rings........... there all in!

Need to sort out the coilovers, engines sitting cm's from the floor!!!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/599555/1

Rate my car on here as its a lil far behind at the mo!!!!

Will get more up, maybe vid when the engines running.

Just thought Id chuck a recent pic up of it. Engine should be running on mon to run the ams in, just gotta get fluids for it and plumb up a few pipes. Think I found the missing mount bolt too, just waiting for the spare to arrive in the post to confirm.
Not sure when its gonna be on the road, but cant flippin wait.........

Gonna go a few stlyling mods, clear sides, corners and a opened grill. Still gotta sort out fog light induction properly, got the covers but still making the mold up to form the intake cone.

Still gotta fit the new brakes, buckets and harnesses.

Not sure on ride height.........any feedback????

Attachments

• Car small.JPG
    Car small.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Wheel.JPG
    Wheel.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 90
Just a few of the custom cold air feed and CDA. Still gotta paint the indicator covers. Fitted the air flow/temp (one of the two) directly to the CDA, was a bit nearvouse hacking up a £170 induction kit, but it turned out spot on!!!!!

Going back into uni in a bit, should have it running by end of day!!!!!!

Attachments

• Vent.JPG
    Vent.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 125
  • Airflow.JPG
    Airflow.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 82
looking good mate. i will be coming to have a look around your workshop next monday got one of my lecturers to let me have a look round instead of doing his lesson next week :D

wouldnt of thought just mounting the air flow meter there would work? thought it needed to be inside the plastic/metal body so it had the right size tube leading up to it?

anyway cars looking great and ride height looks spot on to me

Its alive.............. Finally turned connected the battery to the joyful noise of my alarm beeps. Started first time!!!!! Slight leak at the manifold downpipe join. Sounds a bit raw too!

lookin good. have you still got the GTi wheels?

What course are you doing/which uni? sounds like teh ultimate project to me :D

At Derby UNI mate doing a foundation degree in Motor Sport, carrying it on to a full degree. Still got the original wheels, gonna have a play about with swapping them over when I do the final set up. Still got buckets and straps to fit.

Got my insurance bumped back up so I can drive it on the road, just gotta sort out MOT and Tax (tuesday).

Few pics of the brakes and exhaust, will try and get some pics of the brakes and wheels, they look a tad undersized but still the muts nuts!!!!!

Attachments

• Brakes.JPG
    Brakes.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Cams and header.JPG
    Cams and header.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 51
  • exhaust.JPG
    exhaust.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 48
Just a few more of the car. Drove it round the car park today, the clutch dosnt feel to bad with the flywheel, just cant wait to get it on the bloody road. Had problems with the ABS light but think it was just crap on the sensor as has sorted itself out. Just gotta put the CAT on for the MOT.

Roll on Tuesday!!!!!

Attachments

• Car out.JPG
    Car out.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Side.JPG
    Side.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 40
Back