My New (to me) 'Mera

-----History-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My previous car: Daewoo Lanos 1.6
My next car: Tornado Grey N16 Sport
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click for bigger pics, apologies for crappy lighting conditions..

1.5, 6 years old, 50,000 on the clock. I very, very careful owner (my Dad).

The hubcap badges fell off when it was about a week old, there are a few paint chips to touch-up and the engine bay needs a clean but otherwise pretty good condition. FSH, taxed and MOTed for 6 months.

Wouldn't have been my first choice of colour but at £1000 I wasn't going to say no just 'cos it's not black.

Only had it a week so no mods apart from black 'leather effect' (eg. plastic) seat covers because I'm a messy sod.

Plans are K&N Induction, the MP3/CD + 400W woofer from my old car, 17-inch alloys, Stock Foglamps, cat-back when exhaust needs replaced, maybe lowered springs/coilovers if springs need replaced but may not do much more if I'm only going to have it a couple of years.

It's replacing my trusty but aging Lanos (no sniggering now)..

Last edited:
its a nice colour that, will look very nice with a few mods

never liked my colour that much when i got the car but now its grown on me alot, think once you get used to colours then cars in the colours you used to like dont look right anymore

the car looks clean :)

sorry to moan at you

but I think you may want to remove them seat covers if you have airbags in the seat (I have airbags inside my seat I own a Mera N16 (same shape as yours but its a Phase 2))

Nice, looks well looked after. I had a similar arangment with my dad too, so millage is low and condition is good. I've gotta keep it looking nice.

Ya can see in avatar, got the same colour as you. Like sprint said, the colour grows on you. I found that :)

Nice motor mate - good luck with the mods and here's hoping yours is a mod-friendly adventure rather than a cursed riddled ride that i have!! LoL

Welcome anyways

Thanks guys, you're right, the colour's growing on me already.

The seat covers are allegedly 'airbag compatable' but in any case according to the manual there is only one airbag and it's in the steering wheel.

No ABS either which surprised me as my old Lanos had duel airbags and (rough and basic) ABS.

Meant to ask - I didn't look for long under the bonnet (not really had a chance yet) but behind and to the right of the main Brake Fluid reservoir is a smaller reservoir that also seems to take brake fluid. Why the two reservoirs? I though 'hydraulic clutch' at first having seen that mentioned in another post but I'm pretty sure the moulded text on the cap of the reservoir said to use only new brake fluid from a sealed bottle.

Mind-you, for all I know hydraulic clutches use brake fluid - heh, you can tell I'm no mechanic just an 'enthusiastic fiddler' :lol:

I bought an identical car to yourself from my parents... And a hubcap badge fell off too! :lol: Stuck it back on though.

The colour will look brilliant with some careful waxing.

I also notice that your handbrake is on very high - maybe you shuold consider tightening the cable up? From then on, try not to pull it on more than you need to - it's a bugger to have to replace the handbrake cables (the Almera needs two).

Cobra said:
I bought an identical car to yourself from my parents... And a hubcap badge fell off too! :lol: Stuck it back on though...
...I also notice that your handbrake is on very high

Lol, apparently they had a (big) batch of crappy glue. I'll be getting alloys anyway so cap-badges are not an issue really, I quite like the idea of a self-debadging car actually, saves me having to do it myself :lol:
If only the hood and tail badges would fall off, their pin-holes heal and the badge recess on the bonnet pop-out I'd be happy (I hate any kind of branding on anything - anyone wants me to advertise their stuff they can damn well sponsor me! :lol:).

Talking of which; the dealership stickers and so on have to go - any hints? They stuck a huge one over the rear-window demister element.

Eagle-eyed or what!
Yup, the handbrake cable(s) need tightening. That was the one thing I was told I'd have to fix when I bought it. I'll have to get it into the garage to get the gearbox checked soon anyway so I'll get them to fix that at the same time. I'd do it myself but being a non-mechanic I just don't trust myself to play with brake, suspension or steering stuff myself however easy it looks. If you saw the mess I made of respraying the nearside rear door on the Lanos after fixing a little rust you'd understand my caution - paint went on fine but I couldn't get the laquer finish right at all :lol: The body shop I eventually took it to to get the door resprayed got the laquer right but did a worse job of colour-matching than I did and they charged me a ton for the privilige.

wraith0x29a said:
Meant to ask - I didn't look for long under the bonnet (not really had a chance yet) but behind and to the right of the main Brake Fluid reservoir is a smaller reservoir that also seems to take brake fluid. Why the two reservoirs? I though 'hydraulic clutch' at first having seen that mentioned in another post but I'm pretty sure the moulded text on the cap of the reservoir said to use only new brake fluid from a sealed bottle.

Mind-you, for all I know hydraulic clutches use brake fluid - heh, you can tell I'm no mechanic just an 'enthusiastic fiddler' :lol:

Hi, just looked @ your engine bay, & it`s virtually the same as mine (mine`s a phase 2, see pic below) & you`re totally correct, the little reservoir behind the brake servo is for the hydraulic clutch :P (the big one on the suspension turret is the power steering).

That`s a Nismo B15 Sentra (american version of the `mera) strut bar, if you`re wondering (direct fit)! :cool:

Attachments

• side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 692
I have just noticed you live in Edinburgh - thank god another scotsman who i can moan to about how wrong my car is :roll: :lol: :D

Just kidding!!! More and more scots folk regging up - get your memberships folks then you'll be helping out the forum as well counting towards bigger Scottish Mera Meets :D :D :D

Thatsif my car decides not to have hissy fits

Almera Guy said:
That`s a Nismo B15 Sentra (american version of the `mera) strut bar, if you`re wondering (direct fit)! :cool:

'direct fit' - there's two words I love to see together :)

Schnakey said:
Nice colour.
I bought mine (the same colour) to replace my aging lanos!

I drove my Lanos to the breakers this morning and although it did me well over six years I'm soooooo glad I have the Almera instead now.

wraith0x29a said:
I drove my Lanos to the breakers this morning and although it did me well over six years I'm soooooo glad I have the Almera instead now.

I just hope you dont have to visit any breakers because of your mera - my gearbox packed in after 64k so if you hear any whines/noises as you accelerate get it checked out asap

Better replacing a £30 or so bearing than £500+ for a new box

Hi, Yeah its nice. I got an N16 P1 in black and agian it was an arangement with the folks. I got it with 29K 51 plate for the price you could get a second hand "sh*gged" saxo vtr. And to be honest yes it is a nice reliable car but once you join here you find out about the lovely N15 GTI's!

You can get it looking really good for about £1-1.5K

Bilkok said:
but once you join here you find out about the lovely N15 GTI's!

I know, sick jealous of some members' rides - since joining the forum I'm now in two minds whether to bother spending anything on mods at all, save the cash, sell the 1.5 and get something with a bit more grrrrrr to it. Mind-you for what I use mine for (daily commute) the 1.5 is more practical and much cheaper to run. I'll probably just mod this one a little and put what cash I could spend on body-kits and so on saving for a more powerful model as a project car.

Bilkok said:
You can get it looking really good for about £1-1.5K

To be honest as it's a 1.5 I'm more concerned with boosting performance than improving the looks. I'll probably go the same way as I did with the Lanos and mod to improve the driving experience with just enough exterior tweaks to make it stand out a little from stock.

Will have to go look-see.

Speaking of parts I notice flat spots in acceleration, especially moving up through mid-range revs in 1st and 2nd. I'm planning on getting a K&N 57i induction kit soon (even a K&N filter made a good difference to this on my last car) but spotted this too - any good?

I'm trying out Shell's Optimax replacement, the 99 octane V-something stuff too to see if that makes any difference.

Back
Top Bottom