My PH2 GTI

well i started to rebuild the VE last night, got pistons, rods and crank in, all torqued up and it spins pretty nicely considering its got all new bearings and piston rings.

then i got home today to find my thermoblok spacer kit waiting for me :D

going back into work tomorrow and if i get there early enough then who knows how much i'll get done :D

right then, just need to bolt the inlet manifold up and the DE is ready to come out :D

this is the 1st time ive built an engine myself so im going to be proud if it runs well lol

2008_11100001.jpg

2008_11100002.jpg

2008_11190001.jpg

2008_11190002.jpg

2008_11190003.jpg

yep got everything now, its all built up apart from inlet manifold, they were just a couple of pics i took along the way. i cant wait neither :D just need to make a weekend free, im thinking not this weekend but next

looking good! ant hiccups along the way?

How come the rebuild if it didnt have many miles on it?

Did you just use standard size main and rod bearings?

only hiccups were when 7 of the shims fell out when the head was skimmed.

ive only rebuilt the bottom end dude, well i havent rebuilt it, just new piston rings, baerings, thrusts, water pump and gasket set. im using the 20VE bottom and 16VE head, the 20VE i got was caked up to fook as they had been using mineral oil in it, was filthy. yeh just standard size bearings, didnt need re-grinding or anything, just a basic freshen up of the motor :D

how do you know if they need regrinding or not, did you check it with a micrometer, checked the journel for ovaling or just went off the condition of the original bearings?

nah didnt bother measuring lol, tbh when i cleaned all the oil off the motor is was immaculate, the bearings didnt even have any score marks on them and neither did the crank, i just thought id do it while it was in bits :)

cheers to mark for advising me to clean and grease the k-sports...i woke up today and thought im going to have a car day, so i took the back wheels off and did them, deary me i thought i was too late, they were pitted :(

2008_12220001.jpg

2008_12220003.jpg

so i cracked on with the wire brush, warm water, wurth spray lube and copper slip. while i was at it i put my new bottom mounts on which kev kindly supplied for me :cool:

2008_12220004.jpg

2008_12220005.jpg

also i got some JDM in a tin yesterday (cheers again mark) so i did that too :cool:

2008_12220007.jpg

2008_12220008.jpg

Looks like you caught them just in time..cleaned up niceley.

Amber (sprayed?) corners look good too.

Really like this car, Look forward to seeing the VE in there next year.

cheers dale, me too dude. yep sprayed :D

they arent protected very well anyway fella, and once our salty roads get to grips with them its bad news. i would advise anyone that is going to get some in the next group buy to strip them down before fitting them and grease them everywhere

"Hate to say i told you so..."

Still better late than never, mine were worse looking but they'd been on longer. Fine now though, its pretty appauling how very little these are protected, its the sea air that gets to mine. At least future adjustment for trackdays will be do-able with the things still on the car now :D

p.s check out me members ride for the blue one, spanking you muchly.

hmmm i wonder how tight the threads are, was thinking these could get plated but if the threads arent "loose" the the plating would just make the threads super tight... thinking out loud

Tight whip Wezz, credit to you it is.

Can't wait to see/hear it when the VE is in.

I will have that plate surround, take it off you at the meet? (Goathland)

How much do you want?

Back
Top Bottom