My QG18DE powered pulsar Q

Hey guys,

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and start working on my b15 factory cruise control retrofit. I note, this mod is only doable if you have a cruise control enabled ECU. The N16E hatch's never came out or were optioned with cruise control. as such, The ecu rom file had to be hacked by uprev to add the cruise control codes, along with adding in all the wiring.

The N16 S2's use an electronic throttle control setup, so a conventional extra cable cruise control setup wont work. It is purely controlled via the ecu. The steering wheel switch is connected by only 2 wires to the ecu, working off a change in resistance value. The pedal cancellation switches work off a single wire from ignition to ecu. once the pedal is pressed, it opens the circuit cutting 12v supply to ecu, thus turning off the cruise control.

First step was to see if i could retain my stock steering wheel. This wasnt possible due to no mounting point for the steering switch. I ended up sourcing a b15 spec v leather wheel along with associated steering wheel cruise switch
Secondly, I then had to work on the N16 hatch's clock spring wiring. As this car never came with cruise control, it only had 3 wires coming off the clock spring. I tried using the B15 clock spring(which is the same as an N16 sedan), but its completely different in design. I ended up soldering on another 2 wires to wheel side of the clock spring, then checked for continuity on the column side pins. It worked!
Next up was to swap the steering wheel side plug over, as the b15 runs a slightly different horn setup. Pretty straight forward.
Installed the B15 steering wheel and airbag module.
After that I worked on installing extra pins into the ecu plug. I picked up a spare plug from a wreckers here and dismantled it for a couple of pins. After installing the pins, i set about wiring the steering column up to the ECU.

Still to be done:
Install pedal clutch/brake switches and flash ecu.

Some pics below:

Reactions: edk
Hopefully it all works in the end lol.

Don't see why it shouldn't. Just waiting on an amayama order for the clutch pedal switch. Also waiting on the guy I bought the steering wheel from to post me the steering switch, because he forgot to put it in the box.

Pic of ecu plug wiring:

This all looks very familiar haha

Hope this works out for you mate, nice thing to have.

Back
Top Bottom