My QG18DE powered pulsar Q

I've had some 225/40-18 federal 595 rs-r's fitted up.

The PGA Sydney members have booked a lane at the local drag strip tonight for some racing. Here's hoping I can crack the 13sec mark.

Since my 14.1 run I've added the larger brakes and larger/heavier(albeit more grippy) tyres, so I'm keen to see how I go.

Since I'm not too happy with the turbo that's on the car, I set about looking for a suitable upgrade.

Take in mind, that I mainly daily drive the car. Originally I was planning on using the gt2860rs, however that changed. I realized I wouldn't be using that turbo to its full potential.

I ended up purchasing a gt2560r -4 with the nickel plates exhaust housing which has a divorced wastegate setup on it. I picked it up 2nd for a price I was extremely happy with.

The new turbo and a larger throttle body(from a qr25de), I'm hoping to be able to push around the 160-170kw are mark.

Will it be the death of the qg18, that I'll have to wait to find out.

Here's a pic of the turbo, which is basically as new:
6D726351-B855-4F82-AD66-E01FB5874E85-1069-000000BEB3F95F7F_zpsfd3f7eb9.jpg

Looks tasty. Good work fine tuning the turbo spec. I'm going through the motions at the moment. Should pay off, hope yours does too mate :)

Also, 170KW? I know I could look it up on a conversion site but when I post on PGA I always translate my BHP to KW for peeps :p lol

brake horse power is at the fly. Wheel horse is... at the wheels :)

That's a good figure to go for. I'm hoping so something similar at the wheels after I've sorted out some much needed extra fuelling.

I think it'll be pushing the qg18 right to its limits.

This will be as far as I take the car power wise I think.

Whilst I love the car and enjoy it, machine work and labour in Australia is expensive. I don't fancy spending 5-10k aud on a full rebuild. I've also owned the car over 8yrs now.

The car is also daily driven, so I don't want to sacrifice low-mid range power, for a bit more up top.

I think it will, but there's not much documented in the way of top end power output with the qg18's over here.

I know robs old s1 sedan put out 221.something whp. That was with a gtir t28 with a 0.64 exhaust housing from an s13 Silvia.

I believe this turbo will be more efficient and have less lag.

Put that, with a slightly bigger throttle body, I should see an improvement over rob's old car.

Is the hatch lighter than the sedan? Two +T projects I know of in Aus have been sedans iirc.

I believe they are, but the difference is pretty minor.

On the PGA drag times list, I believe my time of 14.1 was the quickest n16 already.
I don't believe anyone has cracked the 13's in a qg18 n16 as yet, or if they are, these details aren't recorded anywhere.

I wonder if any N16 has cracked the 13s in a factory fitted engine? (I'm not counting B15s here) The race is on!

I dropped time at my last meet.

I put that down to the bigger brakes and bigger tyres.

I dropped 7mph the other week, compared to my 14.1 pb.

Sounds like you're not far off getting there though. New tubby will certainly help!

Couldn't agree more.

Especially since the current one has a leak between the comp housing and CHRA, so it's operating well outside it's efficiency range.

I highly rate them.

but bare in mind, they are only 2 weeks old. They are more than up to the task of handling the power of my car. Its an effort to get them spinning, but really grippy. slightly noisy, but not over bearing.

I can't say I've heard of any issues like that here in Australia.

They are very cheap for what they are.
I was also considering the toyo r888, but they were close to double the price of the rsr.

Back
Top Bottom