My QG18DE powered pulsar Q

I test fitted my new turbo yesterday.
I wasn't sure that I would have enough clearance due to the bigger compressor housing. And I was right to a point. I thought it would foul on the block, but this wasn't the case. It was fouling on the front engine mount bracket. I took the bracket off the car and trimmed roughly 5mm off it, sanded the bracket and repainted it with some black caliper paint I had laying about.
It looks as tho its just a brand new bracket now. you wouldn't be able to pick its been modified.

Here is a pic with the new turbo on it:
A0D27921-2597-4070-B566-19DC0DFA3C85-299-0000002551C5897E_zpsd5d00a6c.jpg

I pretty much lost all motivation to pull it off and put the stuffed t25 back on it, but I want to go about doing this properly. I'm still waiting on a few parts to arrive(new gaskets and compressor inlet/outlet flanges) before I go about installing it permanently.
The wastegate actuator also needs to be modified to suit the rotated compressor housing. I'll be speaking to my engineering bloke as to whether its best to do it on the car, or to just take the turbo to him prior to fitting it.

Finally after 6 months, my custom gauge pod and profec b boost controller holder are complete.

i should have them in my hands by sometime next week. The ebc holder replaces the ashtray. it's been made in carbon fibre i'm unsure of the look atm and may paint it when I receive it, just to give it that oem kinda feel.

attached are some pics:
yimg-1124549512-101--598706366_zps0a01362a.jpg

yimg-1124549512-101-1052373911_zpsf038d16e.jpg

I've finally received my gauge pods.
The 3 gauge top bin pod is flawless. amazing work.
Slightly disappointed with the profec pod, as it was wrapped before the clear coat was fully cured, and its needed a bit of work to get right, but its getting painted anyway.

Over the past couple of weeks, i've set about to tidying up some small things I havent been happy with, with the car. I readjusted all the ride heights and coilover preload. I cut holes in the rear "bash plates" so that I can access the rear coilover damper adjusters(image below). I've had a wheel alignment since and the car feels much nicer to drive.

At the moment, i'm just gathering some more parts that I want to fix up or replace. This includes:
modifying fidanza shifter to suit the n16.(i'll be cutting the stock shifter above the ball and welding that to the lower half of the fidanza)
new redline goods shift boot
new genuine gear knob
install profec b and profec pod
relocate cd player to top din slot
purchase and install innovate mtx-l afr, mtx-d oil pressure/temp, mtx-d boost pressure gauges.

After the above is all done, i'll be looking at installing the new turbo(gt2560r), qr25de throttle body and having a retune.

pic:
IMG_06043_zps919fe8ac.jpg

By looking at the above image and the bolts that are circled in red, i'm almost certain that the ultra racing rear strut brace that is designed for the n16 sedan will also fit the n16 hatch. I believe thats where it bolts to.
heres a link for the ultra racing rear strut brace

Yes there are bolts there, but they arent in the same place on the other side. I made my own brace as i didnt want to risk payimg £120 for something that didnt fit.

actually taking a closer look at it, it looks like it wont fit.

on the hatch, the 2 upper bolts are further apart than the 2 lower ones. on the link, it appears that the 2 lower bolts are further apart than the 2 upper ones.

did you notice much improvement with your custom brace?

On the weekend I finally got to installing my new innovate motorsports gauges and pods. I also installed my profec b ebc in place of the factory ash tray that was never used.

I still need to finish wiring up the gauge sensors, but that's a job for this Saturday.

Hopefully I'll have it done in time before the nscc track day at wakefield on Sunday that I've paid for.

Pics:

null_zpsc0c421c0.jpg

null_zps9de99a2b.jpg

null_zpsedb0d08d.jpg

looks great, just need some sort of splitter in the front. Those skirts came from N16 aus sedan? Or this is specific ones for hatch? Reminds me VZ-R ones.

After the o2 sensor in my car finally died, I decided to bite the bullet and finally install the new turbo(gt2560r) over the weekend. Or so I thought.

I ended up running into several issues.

Those being:
Compressor housing hitting the block
Drain line hitting front engine mount bracket
Drain line hitting o2 sensor
Drain line hitting dump pipe flange
Turbo compressor outlet fouling on radiator fan shroud

I ended up using a 6mm manifold spacer plate and 50mm long exhaust studs to move the turbo off the block.

I took to the engine mount bracket with an angle grinder and took about 10mm off one side of the bracket to give me the clearance I needed.

Due to the way the o2 sensor was originally designed it resulted in rubbing on the drain line, thus rubbing through one of the wires. I had the o2 bung cut off the hole welded closed and a new bung welded on in a better position. I also had to extend the o2 sensor wiring, but that was a relatively small job.

Due to the way the oil drain is setup I'll need to purchase another length of braided hose and transfer the fittings across, so it doesn't rub on the dump pipe. (Job for another day).

Upon reinstalling my radiator/fans it was noticed the compressor outlet fitting was rubbing on the fan shroud. I ended up cutting some slots into the shroud and snapping them out with a pair of pliers. Used a file to neaten it up a bit.

Here's some pics:
null_zpsdbeb7bd6.jpg
null_zps663be850.jpg

null_zps9655042f.jpg

null_zps6d0b0f13.jpg

Cheers Ed.

I just spent a few hours on it yesterday fixing up the oil drain line.

Put a slightly longer hose on it and gave the car a full service.

Next step is to see what I can do in regards to modifying the intake manifold flange to suit the larger opening of the b15 qr25de throttle body.

It should be getting a retune around September or so.

It's been a while since I've done anything to the car, but I've taken the plunge in some more upgrades.

I've decided to switch the car over to e85 fuel. As such, I've had to upgrade the fuel pump to a walbro 255 and larger injectors, of which I've chosen the injector dynamics 850's.

On the weekend just gone, I pulled all my intercooler pipes off and the front bumper bar off to paint all the piping/cooler. I was happy with the oxidized alloy look.

Come tomorrow, the cars booked in for a retune. I'm hoping of getting about 160ish kW atw on 98 octane unleaded and about 185-190kw atw on e85.
My only concern is if my hd organic clutch is going to hold out, or if it's going to crap itself.

Here's some pics:

Oh and I've also modified my b13/14 fidanza and stock shifter due to the differences in the way they sit:

Here's a glamour shot of the car all cleaned and ready for tomorrow:

I had the car retuned last week.

results were:

111kw@5psi on 98ron premium unleaded fuel
142.8@13psi on E85

Suffice to say, I was severely disappointed. The casualties for the day were my profec b spec 2 EBC and my tuner believes that I have a melted Cat converter, hence the let down with power output.

I'm in the process of organizing a new boost controller and i'm sorting out the cat. Also on the cards before taking it back to the tuner is a set of regrind cams.

Lol, that's what I done.

I also ran into fuel pickup/low pressure problems. This was caused by the stock non serviceable filter being blocked full of crap.
I ended up installing a ph1 fuel tank canister and ph1 return fuel line. I used an aftermarket turbosmart fpr800 regulator and inline filter installed in the engine bay.

Back
Top Bottom