My SRi, aka DiY Hell

I knew you'd get the taking-bits-out-and-not-putting-them-back-in-again bug :D

One suggestion would be to colour code the handles one day! in your quest to make it blacker!

Colour code them black again :D ? lol
1st post updated with pics of new arse!
My old spoiler and bootlid are now for sale as well if anyone is interested?

A few more pics from the big meet at the weekend (Courtesy of Kelv and whoever else I stole them off!) as you can see I gave in and sprayed the centre caps black and I agree it looks much better now!
n347ymo.jpg

DSCF0448.jpg

DSCF0459.jpg

And today I decided to steal the front bumper/splitter off the GTi (Still needs repairing though), and I tell you, it looks proper EVIL! :sinister: pics to follow, as does the fixing of the rust/rear splitter and skirts!

I think you have mutch to mutch "information" in the front grille!
The NISSAN badge would do it all!

It's to much of a statement, looks wierd i think..
Why not spray the key-lock on the hatch too? might bee good results??

The car looks good mate!

Maybe, or just change it all for a VZR grille ;) Not sure about the key lock, wouldnt the paint chip off every time I put the key in?

not bad for being done on a budget

i think the grill suits the car, nice to see something different it would be a boring world if we where all the same

keep up the good work nothin wrong with a bit of hard graft

Corbs said:
Maybe, or just change it all for a VZR grille ;) Not sure about the key lock, wouldnt the paint chip off every time I put the key in?

keys never been in my lock. always use the relese lever next to the drivers seat ;)

Corbs said:
The GTi tailgate lock doesnt even work so I HAVE to use the lever... although you do have a point...

I de-locked my mera, looks a lot better

Corbs said:
You reckon? I like it with grey centre caps tbh, and lowering is a no as a) The GTi kit should be going on soon and I dont want to scuff it up, and b) My insurance doesn't allow for mechanical-type modifications, so if I did it and crashed it would be void, which I just cant afford to let happen. Although it is tempting...
The pics actually make it look a bit too high at the front because the front left wheel is the other side of the ridge. With luck the splitter and sideskirts will make it appear a little lower.

i work in a garage with a bodyshop on site and ive been there when insurance assessors come to see cars and if you lowered it 40mm unless it was parked beside another one, i dont think he or she would notice.

StuN16Sport said:
i work in a garage with a bodyshop on site and ive been there when insurance assessors come to see cars and if you lowered it 40mm unless it was parked beside another one, i dont think he or she would notice.

iv thought the same with engine conversions a few times, if i put a 2.0 in mine would any insurance assessor really notice? and if they did surely its more paperwork for them anyway so there likely to just ignore it.

not worth the risk though imo, although the wheels and grill on mine arent declared but there nissan items anyway, maybe they would notice the grill but its something so small it would be easy to remove at home after an accident or at the scene of the accident, no need for them to know. different with springs though, worth declaring something you cant remove quickly or isnt a nissan item imo

I remember a member had non-declared lowering springs that he sprayed black for the insurance company! By the way Sprint, 2.0 would be VERY noticeable, 1.6 wouldnt.

To us the 2.0 would be, but would an insurance assessor really know what the engines should look like?
If the car stays then it possibly get a 1.6, not going to chance a 2.0 though, may go unnoticed but if it didnt theres no way i could say it was already there as it would be too much work for someone not to notice when buying

Gah, failed the MoT today :(
Had a warning about the tyres, and the failure points were:
Drivers side suspension knackered
Drivers side sill corrosion (Rust!) - both are rusted and bubbling but I didn't have time to get the rust done/skirts fitted before the test!
So now it's action time! Retest is half price if done within 10 days. Roll on the elbow grease....

Corbs said:
Well here's the revised project 'done' and 'to do' list, with artist's impression of how it should look:
PROJECTsmall.jpg

Corbs I love them wheels the way they look, how you geting them sorted out? Coating of some sort?? Is that a silver kinda rim I see aswell?? I really like that, I was thinking about white powder coating my wheels... might think again now ;p

if the sills are anything like mine were then it will be more superficial than structural, on the surface mine were bubbled and looking tatty but the bodyshop said there were no holes in them and the metal there was still sound it was just surface rust making them look very tatty.

i had other work done at the same time but i think it must have been about £100 to £120 for both sills to be rubbed down and treated and all sprayed back again, that was a very good job aswell.

Corbs said:
Gah, failed the MoT today :(
Had a warning about the tyres, and the failure points were:
Drivers side suspension knackered
Drivers side sill corrosion (Rust!) - both are rusted and bubbling but I didn't have time to get the rust done/skirts fitted before the test!
So now it's action time! Retest is half price if done within 10 days. Roll on the elbow grease....

lol! you probably think I'm copying you now. I changed my oil straight after you and tomorrow I'm going for an MOT too!

Good luck with the work btw! Try and do as much as you can yourself.

Back
Top Bottom