N16 Hatch suspension solutions...

Hi guys,

i'm just in the process, in doing a bit of research, towards coilovers for the n16 hatch, due to going to set my car up, as more of a track car.

i've found out the b15 sentra chassis is the same as the n16 sedan. however, of course, the hatch is slightly different. The N15 ph 1, uses the same rear shocks and springs as the n16.
I'm yet to try a set of n16 sedan springs, and shocks in my hatch. from the speculation down here in australia this wont work. I am assuming the b15 rears wont fit either.

i'm looking at hearing from anybody, who has fitted coilovers to the n16 hatch. i'm looking for not only height, but damper adjustable coilovers aswell.

i'm contemplating running b15 tein fronts, with n15 tein rears. in theory it should work. however im not sure wether tein sell their coilovers in just pairs.

I think slight is the keyword there, as I'm sure it's easily sorted. Only a problem with the rears.

whats this slight issue?

how do the k-sports compare to say the teins?

are these k-sports the same ones sold in the states for the b15 sentra? if so, then i'm pretty certain, that the teins will be the exact same, for fitting.

The issue is that the rear strut top of the shockie is thinner than the standard item and as such, does not fill the hole in the body snugly with rubber bushes supplied.

We need to get bigger rubber bushes and also top supporting cups (like standard) made up. Shouldn't take long.

No idea how this compares to the tein's as I've never seen them.

The K-Sports are a high quality item.

i keep hearing results of oil leaking, rusting problems, really stiff, similar to the D2's, in the terms of build quality.

the consensus on PGA, and b15sentra.net, is that while the k-sports are good, the teins are better quality. however alot import the jdm spec teins for the n15. teins on the n16 are unheard of so far in Australia. also, the k-sports on the uk, list a different part number, to the us. are these different struts, or just different part numbers, due to different rates, for different countries? If these are the imported models to suit the b15, i think the teins quite possibly will work.

I have also read of a rubbing issue with the k-sports fitted to a n16 hatch, on AOC forum. does anyone care to shed some light, as to where this issue occurs?

Sorry about all the questions, but i'm trying to find the best suited setup for my usage, and others out there.

I understand the TEINS dont come with top mounts, they use the stock item. now of this top supporting cup issue, that is pretty easy to get rectified, wouldnt it be possible to use the stock mounts, on the coilovers? that is what is recommended with the SE-R TEINS.

Righty ho suppose i should make a contribution to the increasingly shrinking N16 sections to keep the tumbleweed rolling...

Firstly the rusting part has been discovered once by one of the members on here called Mike iirc as Almera_guy got a set for the B15 imported direct from the USA (however how it rusted so quickly is beyond myself and the UK importer Apex Performance). The leaking oil is unheard of in my eyes, only ever heard of that being a problem on the Daiyama's (see the saga that is the group buy thread...) and as for it being really stiff this is just down to spring rates which are 7.5kg at the fronts and 6kg at the rear - picture your car's suspension and your spine made of granite and you're almost there...

Secondly, there is no application for the N16 chassis by TEIN (i researched this ages ago when i first joined and first heard of the whole N16 Almera/B15 Sentra compatibility malarkey) so as a result its kinda leaving it to luck to get them to fit really... I'm completely unaware of the fitment of the TEIN units and iirc they do come with top mounts, as far as i can gather from B15Sentra.net anywho, however all units are EDFC compatible i do know that much... And the reason they say to use the SE-R mounts is because they're uprated (to a degree) compared to the 1.8i offerings...

And thirdly, the elusive rubbing issue famously dogging the K Sport Coilover fitment was demonstrated below: -

KSport3-Wherethedampersareknocking.jpg

The strut was rubbing of the chassis frame and ultimately causing the below seen damage: -

KSport2-KnockedDamper.jpg

Not really good enough for something that comfortably sits at the wrong side of £500 GBP eh? So these issues were raised by myself to the UK importer and he in turn forwarded this onto K Sport themselves... A week later these pictures were a reply in itself: -

KSportAdjustment.jpg

This picture shows the bottom bushing being longer on one side than the other, which at first looks odd but is essential for to overcome the rubbing issue as demonstrated below

KSportAdjustment-fitted3.jpg

This is a close up of it being fitted to see where the extra length was required...

KSportAdjustment-fitted2.jpg

This is from the same face on angle but drawn out a bit to get a perspective of how it fits everywhere else making sure that by getting rid of one problem we dont create another (unfortunately the rears were unforeseen and shall be recitified soon i hope :O )

KSportAdjustment-fitted1.jpg

This is the most obvious photo that shows the importance of the lengthened bushing at the bottom...

Now the best bit is that if you copy 'n' paste this info onto the PGA forums (i'd love to but registration processing takes a fucking day and an age down there so by this time in the year 2015 i might be approved for registration LoL) as these changes can be applied to both the N16 AND the N15 chassis...

And finally there is a solution to solving the rock hard ride - the UK Importer will happily exhange the unforgiving springs with softer spring rates which will make them more compliant in everyday driving - iirc i asked for 6kg at the front and 4kg at the rear...

Think i've covered all the angles at least - any omissions let us know...

P.S. as far distributors in Australia - don't ask! i quickly googled it but no luck!

The coilovers being supplied in the group buy have been adapted to avoid the rubbing problem.

[edit] Paul beat me to it with much more info - that's what I get for making a cup of coffee halfway through writing a post.

The top-mount problem is news to me though.

Steven, when you say 'we need to get' do you mean the suppliers will do them as part of the coilover kit or we have to source our own?

Even at the higher price KW coilovers are starting to look attractive again :-(

Even at the higher price [http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?id=3752638]KW[/url] coilovers are starting to look attractive again :-(

Do not fret young one - if this group buy turns out to be a hassle for fitting onto our cars i have a back up group buy for the N15 & N16's in the pipelines...

Just in case ;)

Heh - gotta love the way I fix my typos after you've quoted them, Paul.

Just read Steven's last post in the group-buy thread and so long as the rear-mount thing gets resolved fairly quickly it should be all good.

i woudlnt say im freting, just trying to work out the best solution to my set up. honestly, i think the k-sports will be too hard for my setup, due to the road conditions here in sydney. im just trying to work out, if the SE-R will be the same, as the k-sports, fitment wise.

what is this back up plan you have? since i am not a paying AOC member? if you dont wish to discuss, could you pm me?

I honestly feel that the teins, are better than the k-sports on sydney roads, after riding in 2 n15s, both with each type fitted.

also, are the n16 k-sports damper adjustable aswell?

i understand there are different model k-sports for the b15. just wondering if the uk k-sports are damper adjustable...

i woudlnt say im freting, just trying to work out the best solution to my set up. honestly, i think the k-sports will be too hard for my setup, due to the road conditions here in sydney. im just trying to work out, if the SE-R will be the same, as the k-sports, fitment wise.

what is this back up plan you have? since i am not a paying AOC member? if you dont wish to discuss, could you pm me?

I honestly feel that the teins, are better than the k-sports on sydney roads, after riding in 2 n15s, both with each type fitted.

Lol nah i was saying do not fret to wraith bud :O

Anywho the K Sports are ideal for a race track but as we all dont have what Mr Ascari has - a privately owned race track in Southern Spain - it's too unforgiving for everyday use, hence why our group buy is getting the softer spring rate fitted before they're shipped out...

The back up plan is basically me negotiating with another supplier, finding out product info, prices, pics, fitment etc - if you got msn messenger just add me and i can discuss it with you over that...

The difference with the K Sport's are they have an N16 listing with that specific listings unique part number (KS-N011) compared to the B15 SE-R part number (KS-N010) so unless you wanna run the risk of fannying about with fitment issues and have the time/resources/money/effort for it then by all means go for it... StevenC is being the guinea pig the now so that when further sets are ordered its no hassle for those wanting piece of mind...

also, are the n16 k-sports damper adjustable aswell?

i understand there are different model k-sports for the b15. just wondering if the uk k-sports are damper adjustable...

Don't know actually - sent a message to StevenC to find out

*EDIT* Just had a reply from him yes they are

Lol nah i was saying do not fret to wraith bud :O

Anywho the K Sports are ideal for a race track but as we all dont have what Mr Ascari has - a privately owned race track in Southern Spain - it's too unforgiving for everyday use, hence why our group buy is getting the softer spring rate fitted before they're shipped out...

The back up plan is basically me negotiating with another supplier, finding out product info, prices, pics, fitment etc - if you got msn messenger just add me and i can discuss it with you over that...

The difference with the K Sport's are they have an N16 listing with that specific listings unique part number (KS-N011) compared to the B15 SE-R part number (KS-N010) so unless you wanna run the risk of fannying about with fitment issues and have the time/resources/money/effort for it then by all means go for it... StevenC is being the guinea pig the now so that when further sets are ordered its no hassle for those wanting piece of mind...

yes, thats what i am finding also. i'm also finding that people on the b15 site, are complaining that the softer 6/5kg springs are still too hard on the softest setting. i'm in the process of asking the b15 boys, if the se-r struts will fit the non se-r. if thats the case, then it shouldnt be much different. key word there shouldnt. i'd be happy to take a gamble, if all im risking is the postage costs. to and from australia. in other words, if they dont fit, have a supplier willing to refund my cash minus anything for postage, but i will speak to the aussie suppliers first.

Back
Top Bottom