Nude pics

• N/A - For those who know how

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • turbo because N/A sucks

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Meh, is it shiny?

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
I think that turbos are fine only bad points are...
not easy to build...
and you always wan't more boost...guess that's all.

its all about area under the curve, i love the way my car pulls like fuck and still pulling at the limiter, turbo motor has the torque yes but bloody hell they tail off high up the revs.

i loved my GTiR as it gives you that "pinned in your seat" feeling, but i smile more driving the almera than the GTiR even though its slower, purely because its raw power

So when mine returns from the Nurburg in August in one piece, will we agree that turbo'd stock motors are not unreliable. Yes its low boost but that's what makes my car.

I lol'd at the under-steer comment, because my car lacks huge power, when i come onto boost round a corner it just pulls it in tighter, on a hot day i can barely loose traction in first gear. Look at my 1/4 mile time. Full interior, extra sound deadening, more engine weight etc etc and i ran a 14.3. Kristian ran that with more power than me and a stripped out motor.

As for price, well if i could do it all again, knowing what i know now, the price would be quite cheap compared to you N/A boys. Look how much you have to spend to get 5-10 more bhp. If you were on a budget you could turbo your standard motor on the road and working for under a grand and thats with some parts being new, with some clever ebay action you'd bring that down. That would get you an instant 220 - 240 bhp on stock boost.

Now go N/A - £300 for cams, £400 for a good header and that's before you've touched the valve-train.

The only way you N/A boys are ever going to get some worthwhile revs and power out of your motors is if you go VVL. Your just wasting lots of money for no reason otherwise. Look at wezz, he buys a 1.6 vvl. Changes the pistons iirc, gets it mapped and makes over 200bhp, job done.

Now if i had the option of going N/A VVL or SR20DET I'd actually go VVL as i know that as drive-ability goes for low bhp, the N/A wins. But if my option was N/A Gti engine or turbo, its turbo for me all day long.

2p

i loved my GTiR as it gives you that "pinned in your seat" feeling, but i smile more driving the almera than the GTiR even though its slower, purely because its raw power

^ i agree with that entirely i think. I can't comment too much cos i have no experience of a turbo'd mera if thats what we're talking about, but from experience of scoobies, focus rs etc keep em. impreza was shocking off turbo. Obviously that can be sorted in other cars, different ways etc.

BUT, in a real geeky anal way i like the whole idea of n/a builds and working on em. Now i say this lightly, and don't flame me cos i know absolutely fuck all about turbo builds or anything to do with them, but i always get the feeling of it being, in a way!, the kinda easy way out to massive power. Obviously it's not easy building them, but in theory, it's the simple solution.

I kinda agree with kurt about not being sure i'd want massive power, but the point i'm trying to make is i like how with n/a you have to do loads of silly little things to try n squeeze that bit extra power out. Obviously you can do all this with turbo, but often it seems it's like - slap on a turbo, big power, forget about it! :lol:

I'm not sure what i'm gettin at really :p, and you'll probably all think i'm talkin bollox, but it's just the perception/feeling i get! It's probably due to my lack of experience with them though...

Obviously you can do all this with turbo, but often it seems it's like - slap on a turbo, big power, forget about it! :lol:

Well your kinda right really. Thats what turbo's are for. Without turbo's Diesels would be dead and gone. They're a means of having greater power and in most other cases economy without being too exspensive.

Also Craig, i have no turbo lag, i have n/a power up till 3300rpm then the turbo is on full boost.

I think that turbos are fine only bad points are...
not easy to build...
and you always wan't more boost...guess that's all.

Why are they not easy to build?

All the information you could ever need is on the interweb, or from fellow members of the AOC.

You don't always want more boost, well I don't anyways.

When I first built the engine for the Almera the plan was to run it up to 30 psi, so that is still the aim.

If there is a restriction before that, then I will change the setup to suit.

The last time out, the fueling was an issue, because the injectors were at 100% duty cycle and the fuel pump was topped out due to the lack of flow because of the pressure requirements.

With the additional injector capacity now added, along with the 2nd fuel pump, I should be able to push it further now safely.

I may find that the exhaust system may become a restriction now and may have to step up to a 3.5" system, but we will see how things go.

All in all, even though the power may drop off, an average turbo charged engine will make more power & torque at all RPM points than an average NA engine.

P.S. I just compared my old N/A dyno' results to my latest results at 20 psi and the turbocharged engine is actualy making more power than the NA engine before the turbo has even spooled and that's with low comp pistons!

Also Craig, i have no turbo lag, i have n/a power up till 3300rpm then the turbo is on full boost.

yeh exactly mate, that comment i made should more just be a dig at scoobies :lol:

My point really is, although it makes no sense it terms of time, money, ease, results - the whole bang for buck thing - for some reason i just like the idea of all the little details in an n/a build. oh i don't know really :rolleyes:

someone let me drive their turbo'd mera and i'll give a more reasoned response ;) :lol:

its all about area under the curve, i love the way my car pulls like fuck and still pulling at the limiter, turbo motor has the torque yes but bloody hell they tail off high up the revs.

This, as I said in the other thread where I deleted the posts, is the waver for me. I like driving the Silvia to give it a little blip upto 6krpm then just change up and give it another blip....fucking quick but a pretty boring way of driving.

I haven't drove the GTi for so long I can't say if it's as quick as the Silvia, probably not but it's a hell of alot more fun. The noise, the power delivery and even though Im not breaking any land speed records I don't really care...it's alot of fun. Im not one for massive outline speed, I need my lisence for my job.

And it's nice to see a well debated thread once in a while, only so much WAMT I can stand.

I have a feeling that that will sum up this entire thread shortly.

definitely, if we're comparing n/a and turbo meras there's only a few of you guys can actually do it properly - and you're all saying turbo ftw! although, you would cos you chose to build them.:p

depends what turbo and what n/a car otherwise, like i said scooby was shite off turbo, and there's plenty of n/a cars with no top end and just low end torque that wouldn't give me the same fun factor that me n kurt are talkin about.

it all depends what your comparing,

Standard GTi
Craig's/Tommo's/Kurt's/Shaggy's NA
Rowdy's NA
Wezzley's VVL
Dale's GA Boost
Sim's Low Boost
Stufa's Mid Boost
Dbull's Mad Boost

all are fantastic and all cost different, with each having something the other doesnt that can make it that little bit better....

Having experienced Turbo and NA, I would pick NA although at times I do crave ridiculous power spinning the wheels in high gears etc Im poor and I dont wanna die :lol:

weeeeell all i can say is im still waiting for a turbo mera other than daves to beat my 1/4 times, im getting slicks next week and the guy im buying them off said he got a best 1.8 60ft at york with a 2.0 corsa, so that will put me easily into the 13's if i can do that, then when the next tune stage comes it will be quicker still :)

In reading this thread points come clear, obviously everyone would love a high powered car! at the end of the day! thing is your realistically only goin to get super powerz from a turbo,which has its ups and downs as we've all seen!
A N/A setup would be immense but then you get into a more serious area of tuning to get high power and torque figures ,then you spend stupid amounts of money on importing every part and having the trouble in finding the parts 1st.

i'd still love to see a supercharged SR20VE+SC hehe

noooo, what we would all love to see is an SR23VE with kelford 184C cams, 12.5:1 C/R and a 100 shot of progressively controlled gas :D 350 ponies anyone

Back
Top Bottom