Oil Filter removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Childish laugh to myself as i read the part about your neighbours big drill and the following sentences. Dirty mind.

Should really have used ptfe tape or a copper/dowty washer to seal it up.

The guys in the states have no issues with just sealing it.
So you're saying i should now unscrew it and add ptfe tape? Is it really going to be an issue if i don't?
Because of the angle i can only think oil will run down not up and leak. When the turbo pipe is covered over it should be fine right?

With a turbo build 'good enough' isn't really the attitude. A short time researching would have discovered ptfe tape and its application in this regard.

-phone-

The idea is that the ptfe stops oil easily getting up the threads. Ross is right, it's not a sealer but when combined with one, no leaks!!

Well as the cars in bits right now a little tape won't hurt.
Thanks

2013-10-25101155_zpsaaf5a6c7.jpg

2013-10-25101222_zpsa7bfb936.jpg

What tap and fitting did you use?

Technically speaking if using tapered fittings it shouldn't really need an additional seal. I don't on the compressed air lines I make at work.

Dowty washers should only be needed with parallel fittings and both sealing surfaces have to be clean and true.

Is that the drain or feed?

Next to an original gtir barb for comparison.

Drilled hole for oil return.
the barb taper is an 1/2NPT self sealing thread
and a 1/2" drill bit

P.s just spoke with my neighbour and he said the tape is not required the rtv is well than sufficient.
The tape only cost £1.32 so will just store it.
PhotoGrid_1373531591374_zpsa121cb76.jpg

Last edited:
So if its the drain it won't be under pressure...

-phone-

Last edited:
For gods sake just put some fucking PTFE tape on it.

Has your neighbour ever turbo'd an SR20VE before? If not then he needs to shut the fuck up.

For once in your life take some advice off people who quite clearly know better than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom