Reading Mike's GTi - UPDATED

MacPherson strut fronts on the B and N series are crap really. When you lower the car too much you end up with the outer end of the lower control arm higher than the inboard end of the control arm. This causes lots of problems, for one cornering forces cause the control arm to be deflected in the direction it is already pointing..ie upwards, you want that control arm flat so cornering forces aren't compressing the suspension.

Another problem is that by lowering it you take the rack alingnment out so that movement of the suspension causes bump steer. So going over bumps when travelling straight causes the wheels to 'steer' as they go up and down.

Yet another problem is that as soon as you go past horizontal on the LCA then any further movement will cause positive camber, so as you corner the LCA is pushed up and that in turn causes +ve camber.

Another problem is that it affects the roll centre and instant centre etc.....which I am currently trying to learn about but don't fully understand them yet.

Go and read some stuff on sr20forum, where they have been trying to get some custom lower control arms made up to fix this. A couple of the methods are to use a spacer between the ball joint and hub to angle the LCA downwards and to use a spacer on the track rod end to bring the rack back into alingment.

Neither of those fixes are that simple though...and apparently the B14/N15 is worse than the B13 as the rear roll centre doesn't change much with lowering but the front does and that causes more problems..

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=105229

Read that and try to make sense of it ^^^^

Since posting last i've increased the ride height but am still having problems so gotta take it in again tomorrow and higher it some more. To be honest i've had no probs with the bumpers catching on any bumbs (have to go proper slow though!) its just the undercarriage hitting the bumps. The handling has improved a lot by lowering it and the ride isn't really that harsh. I've been in plenty of rides that feel like your spine is gonna split in two but this is ok and it is on a high stiffness setting. I'd recommend these coilovers to anyone.

still havnt got the the 'how can i get a set of these' part yet?!? anyone please help?

New rims

Finally got my new rims fitted, here's some pics...

100_0039.jpg

100_0044.jpg

100_0019.jpg

100_0054.jpg

Like the alloys, in fact i have them too!!

Take it they are 17's??

PS.... Threads merged, please see forum rules.

Rick said:
Like the alloys, in fact i have them too!!

Take it they are 17's??

PS.... Threads merged, please see forum rules.

Oops sorry dude, cheers for sorting it. You must have good taste then!! Yeah they are 17's. Yeah BAZZRICO its on Daiyama coilovers bought from AOC itself!!

looking very nice mate.
just wondering what have you done with the standard GTi rims?

the coilovers are 570 ;) get signed up on the new groupbuy

Here's a few pics of my recent mods. New custom grille, de-globed and painted side strips. A few of you here would have already seen it at Donny.

Mikes1.jpg

Mikes.jpg

That just looks gorgeous mate, just how i want my car to look :eek: d you catch many speedbumps with the coilovers on mate?

Mick

Back
Top Bottom