Sprints Primera eGT

with the almera being sold on soon i thought i may aswell make a members ride for its replacement, an old mans car :lol:

got insured on it last week because i got fed up of seeing it sitting there doing nothing, battery was dead from it doing a mile each way to my dads work and not much else so bit the bullet and paid the insurance, was planning to sell the almera first but seemed daft having the money just sitting there.

like everyone always says, you get some power and want more, iv done the same so its getting dyno'd as it is over the next few weeks and then the mods start, not really got a target because i dont want to be dissapointed, just want something quick that puts a smile on my face, and if it scared me a bit that would be great but cant see it happening without a turbo :lol:

campinanshirlanne002.jpg

primeraeGT029.jpg

handling isnt a patch on the almera, tyres are crap but even so it doesnt seem to be in the same league, im still not confident enough in it to push it at all though so could be better than i think. grip in the wet is terrible aswell, GTLE 16" alloys and decent tyres in the next few months with any luck :)

just realised how few decent pictures i have of it, something to do at the weekend if i get chance.

old man's car?? wolf in sheep's clothing more like! looks nice mate.

surprised bout the handlin tho. from what i've read, and my dad used to have a p10 and p11 GT, they handled even better than my GTi, what state shocks and springs in me wonders? altho tyres won't help.

interior looks gorgeous btw! :D

:lol: its not an old mans car in my opinion, but quite a few of my mates think it is, soon changes when i put my foot down, doesnt feel quick to me but it does to them :lol:

its done 84k and all suspension is origonal to my knowledge, even the top links which are a common problem, got a feeling the rear dampers are on their way out as there making a faint noise but could be something else in the boot etc. have heard a few people say the handling is great but you have to get used to it first, possibly true but the almera inspired confidence, tbh in this i dont feel the need to push it through the corners though so will keep me alive a bit longer.

with any luck once its on coilovers and with decent tyres it will be completely different, this is the 2nd one we have had though and as much as it feels tight and theres more feedback than the almera gave it doesnt seem to grip as well, and the back end is very twitchy.

Yes! its about bloody time sprint lol, for a period i wanted to get an eGT based on that car alone, it looks awesome and knowing how little its been used how is it for rust? has it been undersealed and stuff?

My mate has a dark green P11 GT with grey standard alloys and it looks really nice, I was going to do a photoshop of yours but too much brandy happened last night so maybe in a bit. Sounds like you've got cool subtle plans for it, but I bet your dad wants it back once they've been done :D

That's exactly the same as my first P10, but mine was on a M plate.

They are fantastic cars, and the do handle very well indeed. In a true driver's opinion i'm sure 99% of them would favour the P10 over an N15... but my personally opinion is still undecided as i enjoy both cars for different reasons.

Anyway, looks like a really lovely example. Congrats!

thanks everyone

kelv, in terms of rust its pretty much solid, had the old cross member cut out and replaced a few months back as it was bodged a while back by someone we though could weld. other than that its needed the odd patch, mainly closure plates on the end of the sills each side but hopefully they will be ok from now on, the rear of the passenger sill was done which is a common place for them to bubble, although the other side is original without a spot of rust amazingly. major problem is the underseal, its holding rusted metal in place so it looks solid until you start poking around and it falls to pieces, so its all going and will be getting repainted with a rust resistant paint, was meant to be getting done a while back but i got one arch done and have been on stupid hours ever since.

im sure my dad will want it back but he can drive it whenever he wants to, hes sees it as a project just like i do, only difference is he sees getting the bodywork perfect and leaving it as the whole project, so he wont be getting told how much the parts cost :lol: . im trying to convince him a bluebird turbo would be a good replacement for him, not sure what he thinks about that though :lol:

Nice one mate, looks good and has potential to be really nice.

Very few cars are genuinely 'old mans cars' a lot of it is down to perception and marketing. I've seen cars that have been marketed as 'grannie cars' over here but as 'hot hatches' in Australia and Spain.

they handle pretty good for a saloon and the era they come from, but you cant say 'In a true driver's opinion i'm sure 99% of them would favour the P10 over an N15... ' Andy because the true driver would want tighter, taunter, faster, more feedback, which is the newer N15 everytime. The egt engine is pretty good though, you can feel a difference between the 2, I wouldnt say the egt feels faster, just a lot smoother through out the rev range. Be good to see what you can get out of it with a set of bigger cams etc

Its such a surprise that they were well built considering the way things worked in the factory in '92, but they are well screwed together. Parts quality played a big part imo

The rear part of the sills rust because the sunroof drains into them, not a very clever idea but its done by a few manufacturers.

Good luck with the project.

i have to admit after a decent drive in it last night, the first time i have really been down a few country roads in it, it has suprised me alot. i think alot of the handling is deceptive anyway, in the primera i can be doing way over 60 in places the almera would be struggling to reach 60, so obviously im entering corners at higher speeds and not really realising tbh, it doesnt feel quick until you look at the speedo. tbh i never got much feedback in the almera so i couldnt say that was a true drivers car and this isnt etc, i knew/thought i knew the limits in the almera so could drive it how i wanted, but i very rarely got any feedback except the tyres squeeling, everything else was guesswork and luck. in this i get more feedback from the back, seem to know whats going on alot more even if it isnt always what i wanted to know, ie the back stepping out on a slightly damp road which the almera never ever did.

drove the almera again for a bit tonight, and as much as the almera is a brilliant little car and i couldnt really fault it except its lack of power, i cant see myself regretting selling it that much, well modified primeras arent something thats everywhere and i think this one will be different to any other with any luck, so hopefully in a few years time it will be everything i want it to be and more, quickest NA primera in the country would be nice. tbh alot of the appeal is that its different for a young lad to modify a primera, but the fact its a great car all round aswell helps obviously, can see myself having a sunny or almera GTi one day as a daily driver though.

just a shame the bloody things so thirsty, its great when you drive it normally, but as soon as you boot it you can watch the gauge drop, the almera was pretty much the same however i drove it. got 35 miles to £10 on a spirited drive, if im being honest i cant really afford to run the thing but i will find a way, might just have to drive it less as driving it sensibly for a long period of time isnt something i can do, even going to 6.5k every so often seems to make a massive difference to the economy, keeping it below 3k seems to be the only way to get half decent economy.

you cant compare a 1.4si to a egt though can you,, your not comparing a gti to egt so therefore you havent got the uprated antiroll bars, the better suspension, the better suspension settings, strut braces, even the different weight in the front end all make a difference.
you'll get used to to the extra power after a while and will stop booting it everywhere, its only natural to find yourself putting your foot down in a new car, and then just as you start driving sensible you'll add a power mod and start all over again going fast everywhere :lol:

I've had both. I had the Primera GT (P11) the got an Almera GTi, then went back to the P11. I'm afriad to say I.M.O the Primera totally out handles the Almera anyday! Totally smoother ride too. Doesnt feel as quick as the Almera did, but i'm willing to sacrifice the speed when the onboard computer is telling me im returning 35-40 mpg around town! ;)

good stuff sprint! its finally happened, i can tell your well chuffed too.

look forward to the updates

You already said the tyres are crap. The handling could be the best in the world but with crap tyres it ain't gonna grip is it :p

The front multi-link suspension of the Primera is way better than the McPherson strut suspension of the Almera. They used the same setup on the 300zx and Skyline ;)

The p10 uses a superior ( when new ) multi-link rear as apposed to the p11 which has the same rear beam as the N15

had it dyno'd today, car was on 85k and seemed to be running well, completely standard and i think the downpipe has started blowing a bit recently (not had time to check it) so i was happy to get 120.8 whp, which apparantly equates to 147.5 at the flywheel so if there accurate at the flywheel its as near enough to stock power as you could get so im happy. car was ran to the limiter twice but on the 3rd he backed off before it iirc as the power was tailing off, thats the run which the graph is from.

operator said it ran well and seemed healthy, was a bit worried at one point as the oil pressure gauge read 0 when warm but that just seems to be a normal eZX/eGT feature, will have to get a better gauge at some point, both of ours have done the same and never had any issues.

will hopefully be back their again in january sometime with s4 cams, i know they should be the last mod you make etc but financially it makes more sense for me to spend the money then and keep money back for the rest of the year, plus i want to see what difference they make on a standard engine and will gain more from the manifold etc once the cams are in, all makes sense in my head LOL

anybody else think the AFR drops a bit too much towards the end? operator said it didnt look bad at all, looked a bit off to me but im no expert, was wondering if the 15 year old fuel pump might be struggling at high revs or something along those lines? fuel filter was brand new

primeradyno5dec2007001.jpg

primeradyno5dec2007002.jpg

Nice figure for a stocker sr20. Fuelings is a bit rich, power is gained at 13:1, richer reduces some power but is nice and safe.....lean kills engines.

Fitting a good filter will lean it out and free some HP.

ah that explains why he said it was fine then, i had got the AFR ratios the wrong way round and was thinking that was lean not rich. could explain the terrible economy, the last £75 has done about 360 miles with the petrol light about to come on, £60 tank and i put an extra £15 in for the rolling road though so cant really work out the exact economy from it but its not good, doesnt get the easiest of lifes though but dont take it past 6500 that often.

planning to get another airbox and cut out part of the bottom and run another pipe right to it then get a decent panel filter, planning to keep it as quiet as possible and go for a sleeper for a year or two, ultimately some nice alloys, coilovers etc would be nice but im enjoying the sleeper for a while yet i think.

also got some 15" s13 alloys tonight, facelift ones i think, not the teardrop ones, got 2 good tyres so im getting 2 yokohama paradas aswell and putting them on it, decent 14" tyres are hard to find so had to get 15"s and it gives me the room for the p11 GT 280mm discs at some point in the future.

Will be a blast with some S4's, Dyno Demon is a great place too, I'll be going back there if I ever get round to sorting my engine plans out.

Back
Top Bottom