Stani's Almera

see i dont want to be putting "the third" engine in this car and something goes wrong with that and then im back at square one. im actually happier spending that sort of money for what im getting from it and getting to know the sr20 inside out than taking the cheap/fast option of putting yet another engine in. does nobody understand lol??

I do. Then you know that the engine you have in is solid and working correctly, Peace of mind. I would be the same i think, If it's worth doing do it properly.

Yeah sometimes I wish I'd have just spent £400 on gizmo's first engine getting the headgasket done, could have avoided engine swaps, 2 (Quick bodge that blew up 3 months later due to relay fail), 3 (Stupid engine builder who cant do anything right) and 4 (Final, worked) and rev counter/ECU death (From swap 2). Would probably never have sold it and would still be driving it today.

:(

its also peace of mind once its done, no having to get out every couple days to check the oil and top it up when it needs it and having to buy oil comstantly the more you go through, after about a year of doing that theres the money for the rebuild out the exhaust.

so my plan is to get the engine out at some point this month, take the short block to engine resource to get it rebuilt along with any work required. ill do the stem seals, get the short block back within a couple days, ill finish the build, have it refitted and running all in the space of a week. providing everything goes sweet i reckon that timescale is enough.

I would not do that with the compression results you've got. Bare in mind its 12 years old car now - you're gonna make the engine sweet and it will fail MOT on rust next year for example... Nobody will pay you extra money for this car if you'd like to sell it on.

My 2p.

If I was in your shoes I would seriously be considering saving the extra and as simcard says put a VE in there....

so today the work began. started at 9am this morning and finished at 7.30pm. engine is out and stripped down. short block is going to engine resource tomorrow to be rebuilt and ill work on the stem seals over the next 1-2 nights. heres a couple pics of the removal. it was too dark to get good pics from stripping it down :)

at the start
2973667202a12243405170o.jpg

some things out
2973667202a12243405225o.jpg

2973667202a12243405275o.jpg

shafts out etc.
2973667202a12243405330o.jpg

gearbox off, oh ya fucker light flywheel
2973667202a12243405393o.jpg

finally engine out which yes we did lift it out the 2 of us
2973667202a12243405439o.jpg

((( PICS OF THE REBUILD TO FOLLOW LATER THIS WEEK )))

your right no messing, i get stuff done when i want it done lol and thats not me in the picture there. thats mikey lol i can only pick the cg engine up and scuttle about with it where as that picture is self explanitory of what mike does lol im amazed in the difference in engine removals between the CG and SR. on the SR there are brackets everywhere its terrible! it took me about 6-7 hours to get an SR engine out and 4 hours to do a micra 1.0-1.3 conversion

well lets hope i dont get to find out eh? if there is a next time i wont take absolutely everything off this time before lifting the engine now that i know the ins and outs :)

also im looking for an induction kit, what do people recommend? nothing spectacular just something better looking tbh

BMC CDA, I loved mine! Get the large universal one and a subaru MAF adapter, then use some hosing off a used GTi intake pipe to attach it with a couple of jubilee clips. Lovely Jubbly.

today i dropped the short block off at engine resource and picked up dizzy cap/rotor arm/gear oil/power steering fluid and valve grind stick/paste. just tonight i stripped the head of its valves etc.

2973667202a12247229362o.jpg

2973667202a12247229408o.jpg

2973667202a12247229462o.jpg

2973667202a12247229310o.jpg

getting the valves out was a pain, my spring compressor wasnt big enough at the cam end so i had to make it work by fitting a 27mm socket on the end of it and use tweezers to pull the colletts out.

2973667202a12247229203o.jpg

and i had a skim through the primera haynes (which ive left in my car) i bought and remember it saying something about these guys??

2973667202a12247229255o.jpg

it said something about leaving them in oil and pushin the ball on the top to bleed it. out of the 8 of them only 2 of them i can push down. the rest seem stuck so has anyone been in this situation?? should i just use grips to push them down?? also can someone talk me through the bleeding process

tomorrow night will consist of me cleaning the head/ports/valves/grinding the valves in/fitting new stem seals and refitting of valves :)

cheers!

Some past owners have been lazy with the oil changes, that's dirrty.

You use a 2mm allen key into the hole on the top of the HLA to bleed them, with them submerged in oil.

so just put it in as far as it will go and push it down? any idea why i can only push down 2? and also once ive bled them i take it they are fine to remove from the oil and put back into the head? eventhough it will be sitting for a couple days

yeah push whatever you choose to use down the middle of the lifter till you feel it stop then push a little more and you will be able to compress it :)

Most probably sludge or they are knackered, don't know to be honest. Once they are out of the Oil aslong as they aren't pressed again as that will suck air back into them they should be fine.

If any of them are knackered even after being bled, let us know, I have tons of these.

Back
Top Bottom