Stus Track Car

Hi.
This is my NEXT project.

My 100% dedicated TRACK CAR!

I realised that my 270-320bhp N15 pulsar was too expensive, fast and if anything happened to it, body or engine wise i couldnt afford to fix it.

SO,
I purchased (aoc) steve55's red GTi which had a severe engine problem, and used it as a base to make my and the aoc's track car,

Modifications so far;
Engine;
4-2-1 header and downpipe system,
3" decat,
KV85 HT leads,
Air con pump and piping removed,
Scorpion 2.25" cat back exhaust system,
CDA BMC carbon filter,
Mapped using the latest Dastek Unichip Q @ Redline tuning.

Chassis;
All engine mounts with poly mounts,
BC coilovers.
Rollcage,
Massive weight saving,
Whiteline Rear ARB,

Wheels & tyres;
Nissan GTi wheels,
Toyo T1R 195/50/15 tires,

Modifications to come;
Perspex windows,
Remove sound deadening,
More strppage when windows go in, focusing on the doors and boot,

Current power output;
with the old SR18DE engine
146.6 bhp @ 7000rpm
125 lbft @ 5000 rpm

Shortly after steve handing over the keys i got started on it.

First things first, the engine!
now as i break GTI's i do have a few spare parts to say the least,
consisting of;

SR20de,
125k miles,
Unknown history,

OR

SR18de
60k miles,
Known history,
High port,
Non roller rocker head,
higher rev limit.

SO i chose the SR18de!
Getting the engine in was easy, the wiring loom was easy but complicated,
SR18 cleaned, air con removed and new belts and in.
DSC05234Medium.jpg

DSC05575Medium.jpg

Now came the awkward bit! it wouldnt start, but NOT due to a fault of mine! lol
I tried to get it to start for over a week, NOTHING, had my mate from nissn rount with his NATS system, no luck.

LAST resort, i rang my friend Richard at redline tuning, and told me it wont start as i dont have a dastek box on the end of the dastek loom harness, and needed a bridging plug for the ignition wires!
So within an hour it started first time!!

Then the fun part began!!!
SRIPPAGE!

Remember this is a work in progress and i wanted to get all work which required electricity out of the way first, as once its running and mapped it will be going to my lockup, where i can pop there after work and domore labouring/mechanic on it.

First thing i did was get started on the interior and bonnet!
Seats, door panels etc, rear panels, glovebox/console parts and bonnet.

Then lightened the bonnet.
DSC05578Medium.jpg

Then carpets, roof linings, dashboard modifing, bulkhead carpets/sound deadening.
DSC05614Medium.jpg

Dashboard.
DSC05609Medium.jpg

Then came the angle grinder! WOOP!
I started on the rear inner quarters.
DSC05592Medium.jpg

DSC05591Medium.jpg

(I removed the rear seat mounting points, rear shelf bracket, roof lining brackets and made the rear quarter whole bigger)

All resulting in all this!
DSC05584Medium.jpg

Here a pic of it all happy waiting mapping!

Due to the setup being SR20de ecu, SR20de MAF and a SR18de engine, i knew a few things may be slightly different, a few members told me it wouldnt need mapping on the SR20 ecu,
BUT could not be any more wrong!, after the AFR's were really bad.

Im glad i mapped it and will continue to map all my cars, for a small expense it make a massive difference!
After the dyno i got some decals for my track car from Redline tuning, as they have done brilliant work on both my performance cars,

DSC05650Medium.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZvSKzVTVeM

the torque and power curves and are brilliant! considering its a 1.8cc
DSC05664Medium.jpg

Ive also got my 20mm H&R wheel spacers on, Whiteline rear anti roll bar and rollcage.
Got all this to fit!
14012011301.jpg

before spacers.
DSC05618Medium.jpg

after spacers.
06022011322.jpg

DSC07054Small.jpg

rollcage fitted/welded in,
DSC05828.jpg

Whiteline ARB
DSC05670.jpg

Then after some issues with tring to fit some egt cams, a good P10 EGT engine came up for sale costing me £80, off a mate, so ive got that in, swapped other the sr18de dizzy onto it and removed the P10 coil, I also had to swap ove the P10 egt injector loom onto the sre18de one :)

06032011407.jpg

12032011410.jpg

All washed and ready for mapping :)
12032011413.jpg

12032011415.jpg

Will be getting mapped in the next week so fingers crossed :)

whilst the engine was out would have been the perfect time to just get your guys to bore it out to 86mm and throw in a set of SR16 pistons.. that would have braught it well up to anything thats on here with a tune...

Awesome mate, you certainly know what you're doing. One question though, did you not fancy doing anything to the engine when it was out? Could have put some UR underdrive pulleys and lighter fly on?

Great project Stu, all come together well and I can't wait to see this in action at Mallory :).

Ian I think this project is about having a track car on a budget, so cracking the engine and buying pistons etc adds to the cost.

Also Stu those stickers actually look really good on the car mate, and now it just needs those gti wheels done black ;)

Nice project car this, looks ideal for what you are going to use it for.

stu, i may be in love with you :lol: ... awsum work my man! going to be a right weapon

... RAGU has a proper home :clown:

Steve

good work mate, love it.

i know it's a budget thing but with it being the revvy non rr sr18 i agree with ian it woulda been awesome to see some 16ve's in there and then some c3s or something too :shuriken:

looks lurvely though

i know its budget but it would be so tempting i mean £100 for a set of pistons some new rings and a few quid for honing and you're away.. its got the nice 8CW crank in there for reving its tits off with some C3's dribble dribble...

cheers guys,

it would be good to do all that stuff to it whilst it was out, but all at an extra cost,

so far in total inc buying the car (with tax and MOT) EVERYTHING has cost me under £1000! the next biggest expence is the rollcage, which will be fitted in 3 weeks :)

Im more comcernd about handling etc, using the coilovers to there FULL potencial, turning the top mount etc, to produce caster and camber adjustments,

This really is a cheap and VERY cheerfull car! lol
that is the cost of a respray of the pulsar! wherea as if i ditch this i can just buy a new bonnet, wing, door bumpers already s2nd hand in red ;)

Power wise im happy with the 146.6 bhp, as it puts in down really well, i may get the limiter raised 2-300 rpm, then thats about it,

AND if anything does happen to the engine, ive got a sr20 sitting in my garden to replace it :):):)
cheaps!!!!

Perfect track car mate, get the base spot on first then move on to power later. If you get the handling set up perfect it should out class much higher spec cars

amazing baby! i know how hard you have worked on it! well done! i am proud of u xxxx

job well done there stu! looks like its well on the way to being a great cheap and cheerful track toy.

i understand the talk bout making extra power but thats what youve got the pulsar for, i know id be kicking myself for a long time if id spent thousands on mods and then binned it into the tyres on my first track day!

keep us updated pal :)

with a cage going in theres load more that can be chopped out with the trusty grinder, assuming its a weld in cage?

chop out the door skins and remove the big crash bar that sits inside, then chop out the rest of the rear inner quarters :)

I would look at getting it seam welded aswell whilst the cage is being put in, made a good difference on mine and Ive hardly had anything done :)

also have you got the aircon matrix out from behind the dash?

with a cage going in theres load more that can be chopped out with the trusty grinder, assuming its a weld in cage?

chop out the door skins and remove the big crash bar that sits inside, then chop out the rest of the rear inner quarters :)

I would look at getting it seam welded aswell whilst the cage is being put in, made a good difference on mine and Ive hardly had anything done :)

also have you got the aircon matrix out from behind the dash?

yeah ill be chopping out the whole inner front doors once i get my plastic windows in ;)
and the heater matrix is still in etc, but only for the winter months, as i found it really hard demisting it in the rain the other day :(:(

and yeah it will be a weld ing cage, im not going to seem weld it, a roll cage will be more than fine for a budget track car, ill will chop loads more out over the next few months but just getting as much done for mallory in nov :):)

Back
Top Bottom