Stus Track Car

get em in, any bets on power increase? ... dyno meet stu :D

bring steph, my bird isnt gonna have anyone to talk to otherwise haha

Steve

Looking forward to the results mate :) Do like the tinkering with a few mods here and there with this track car.

Yeah Steve I discussed this with Stu before. I reckon +8bhp and +17lbft. At least I think that was my guess. No science in it at all, just for fun, but my gut says the extra duration will give more torques than power as no extra lift. But being dialled in will help with more gains than you might expect from this mild swap.

sounds good Ed, hope it goes well for you bud!

Dont you mean bloke?

awhellnahobama-1.jpg

Steve

i've not looked at the specs, but i can't see how they'll be much/if any better.

the sr18 makes 2litre power cos it has relatively aggressive cams, so if anything in my mind peak won't change

maybe the duration will do something, dunno. be interesting to see.

I think any gains that come will be from dialling cams in, not what cams they are. dialling the sr18 cams in coulda been worth a shout before. Or just done the job properly and bought some c3s and springs - it is supposed to be a track car after all! LOP LOP LOP

i've not looked at the specs, but i can't see how they'll be much/if any better.

I'm sorry craig but I didnt read any more of your post after this... if you havnt seen the specs and compared them then i dont see how you can come to that conclusion :lol:

I'm sorry craig but I didnt read any more of your post after this... if you havnt seen the specs and compared them then i dont see how you can come to that conclusion :lol:

well if you'd read further it says that because the 1.8litre engine makes the same power asthe 2litre, even the egt, and there aren't any other real differences, (andb because i remember reading somewhere the same) it stands to reason that the cams are more aggressive.

My sr18 in the sunny stuck with girvs GTi all day, with 200cc less displacement. that has to come from somewhere, so while i see what you're trying to get at, I don't see it as unreasonable to come to that conclusion at all.

I'll happily be proved otherwise if they create some miracle gains.

As i said above, the eGT cames are the same at the SR18 apart from a longer differing duration in the intake and exhaust. Which means there are gains to be had from eGT cams in an SR18, especially with them dialled in. Hence why I said you should know the specs first mate :)

and we're not talking about going for miracle gains. I dont think Stu's under the grand illusion that these are S3R alternatives... it's a track toy and and experiment. This is one of those experiments. A few horses and a flatter torque curve maybe? Small gains that can make all the difference :)

yeh i read that bit, but like you said theres no lift. and cam specs like duration, ramp angles etc are prolly a bit beyond either you or I, to predict what effect they'll have on an untested engine like the sr18. thats all.

like i said, be cool if they do some good though.

True. All I know if that NA engines like duration? So like I said there's no science in it from me and we were guessing! but my gut says some gains as mentioned. Should be interesting if anything.

the only reason i seemed skeptical is, well as i said above, but also from a cost point of view.

for the price of the cam gears and dyno time testing adjustments stu could probably have had a set of 2nd hand c2s which would have gained well. But then again i'm sure essex wideboy stu will come on now and say he's getting the dyno time for nuffin from his bredbinz at the mapperz :tongue: :lol:

yeah the egt cam have a extra 8' inlet and 6'exhaust iirc or there about abouts but im not looking for loadsa powers lol, even if i get 10bhp inc pullys and mapping id be happy :):)

fact is all this has cost me £120! so for a nicer power curve and some more torques/bhp im not bother but im all up for investigating etc,

but im always on the lookout for some autech cams :)

also the cost of mapping is £100 and about £100-150 for adjusting the pullys, which s an extra cost with or without cams :)

Craig though if you stick c2s in un-mapped even though you may get higher peak BHP, what's to say that a mapped, dialled lesser cam won't be quicker in reality (even with a lower peak bhp)? If you have c2 and mapped then it's going to get better gains, sure, but will cost even more than the eGT+mapping but this is a track car on a budget :)

used c2s aren't much, 200 odd maybe. mapping 100 according to stu. thats 300.

300 going on the above is the minimum stu will be paying to have these egt cams mapped and dialled.

i'm not tryna have a dig lol, it's cool to try different things. But in this case i can't really see the logic, thats all.

like i say, hope i'm wrong :)

Meh. Still that's £180 more than the eGT cam setup. That's a track day! :lol:

how'd you figureb the 100 more lol, i wouldn't bother with cam gears for c2s i'd sell them

thats like 300 for either set up, just sayin before totally commits to these, just puttin it out there. But either way good luck stufart

them cams will end up costing alot more than 200 inc shipping and customs, also there is a time issue, not prepared to wait months like with the autech cams from other people, :) any im cooking a track day at SPA tonight so i can ive it all done and ready for that and the few quid i save can go towards that, :)

how'd you figureb the 100 more lol, i wouldn't bother with cam gears for c2s i'd sell them

Because I didnt realise you were saying you wouldnt need cam gears.

You dont have to bother but they must still help. Cam for Cam the eGT ones are way cheaper!

Back
Top Bottom