The Hulk

Hi Guys,

Only really just started browsing this forum after joining quite some time ago.

A few other members from PGA are on here, and since they all have intro threads, I thought I might share my car with you guys too.

This is my second N15 Sedan. The first one was a Charcoal N15 Series 1 (Phase 1), I had owned it since 2006, and gave it an upgrade by way of a Turbo. The car looked horrible from the beginning, and was really only bought to be a project car. In the end, it put out 124kw@w.
One day, while driving, the oil plug came out and destroyed the engine.

Before she died:
dcp2419uo6.jpg

04092009601.jpg

After death:
19012010702.jpg

At this point, I could have replaced the engine, but figured I would treat myself to a nicer looking car, a 1998 N15 Sedan:
img0860i.jpg

img0863.jpg

I stripped out all the good bits from the old car, and hit the wheels up with some urethane wheel paint:
18092009647.jpg

12092009644.jpg

10102009662.jpg

Had some photos taken with a mate here, and this was one of the photos I liked the best:
4400014269c42a2006ffo.jpg

I'm currently going through the process of prepping this car to receive the turbo goodies from the old car. Still a few minor things to sort out.
Hoping to be boosted again in less than 2 weeks.

Thanks for reading.

-Ben

Much better looking car than the 1st Ben ! Should be interesting to see the results of your turbo build. Your air filter will suffer from a lot of heat soak where it's positioned - might be better to have it shielded or moved further away from the engine ?

Yeah, the battery is being relocated to the boot and the air filter will be where the battery is.

I was in a rush when I did the old car, bolted everything on in an entire weekend so I could get to work on Monday. And planning the layout was not high priority.

But we learn from old issues, and I am on a quest to make this one better than the old one.

I'm sure it will be dude. Any brake mods at all ?

At the moment it has AD22VF front calipers, and SSS(Not sure what you call them over there, GTI?) rear calipers. They come off our top spec N15 hatchbacks.

I have in the works a set of Z32 N/A Calipers (280mm x 26mm) to go on the fronts, and am sourcing a new rear setup too. Just need to find a suitable BMC.

I just finished installing a lightweight flywheel (approx 3kg) into the GA, with a cushion button clutch 650kg clamp load. Took it for a test drive before and it makes so much difference, but hills are another story.

Have pretty much just finished installing the turbo this weekend, here's a small run-down of how it progressed.

The day begins with the car up on stands, getting an intercooler mounted:
img0856ma.jpg

Then a quick check to make sure all the pipework is there
img0864jx.jpg

Out come the extractors
img0879fc.jpg

Check to make sure the turbo is all bolted together for insertion
img0882mw.jpg

Insert turbo
img0893c.jpg

Needed a hand with fitting the sump return pipe
img0997vp.jpg

Once the turbo was in, someone decided we should see if a bigger turbo would fit
img0998k.jpg

Almost forgot to drain the coolant to cut the pipe down to fit the turbo in properly
img0901j.jpg

Fit the t-pieces in for the water lines
img0940p.jpg

Remove old fuel rail
img0955ja.jpg

Got defeated after some stubborn hoses didn't want to come off
img0919ud.jpg

Got it in the end
img0977ie.jpg

Forgot something in other garage
img0915s.jpg

Woops, gasket goo top popped off, didn't stop till it was empty
img0988w.jpg

Mounted the oil distribution block
04042010833.jpg

Test fitting and installation of intercooler piping/bov and other hoses
img1025m.jpg

04042010832.jpg

04042010834.jpg

Just before after checking wiring was all good
img1028n.jpg

img1031kd.jpg

It runs! Rich!
img1037o.jpg

got any vids ?

whats the figures? how many bhpp?

No vids yet, it's still sitting on stands in the garage, need to do a few more tweaks/cleanup before it drives today. I will be filming some footage later though, and I will post pics when done.

Well, its exactly the same running gear as my old car. So I expect to see around 120kw at the wheels, not sure what that is in bhpp.

120kw is approx 163bhp (atw).

Im liking this car...there arent many well documented GA16DET's around.

Followed your build up of your old car on PGA, it was shame about the oil plug.

Good luck with the car, keep us posted.

Having some issues with stalling when I clutch in and let the engine go to idle.

I'm using an emanage to control the signals, its the same setup from my old car untouched. But I never experienced this problem in the old car.

When driving straight, then clutching in to brake, the revs will drop so much that it stalls. It seems to only do it when its coming back from 3000-4000+RPM.
Once I get this sorted out I should be ok to drive on the road again. Had a few experiences with people getting angry at me at roundabouts/intersections while I was test driving before :)

What's actually controlling the fuelling then dude ? Is it stock ECU with uprated injectors or do you have a piggy-back fuel management wired in ?

Having some issues with stalling when I clutch in and let the engine go to idle.

I'm using an emanage to control the signals, its the same setup from my old car untouched. But I never experienced this problem in the old car.

When driving straight, then clutching in to brake, the revs will drop so much that it stalls. It seems to only do it when its coming back from 3000-4000+RPM.
Once I get this sorted out I should be ok to drive on the road again. Had a few experiences with people getting angry at me at roundabouts/intersections while I was test driving before :)

Talk about post timing, lol ! Disregard my last one.

I think the problem might be because of the BOV venting to atmo this time, I just went and re-routed some hoses and the BOV is now plumb back. Will take it for a test drive later on and hopefully that is all the problem is. It's the only thing I could think of that was different between the two setups.

Wow, Ga16de+T Saloon yo! Liking your project very much m8.

Oh and please! Dont lose your temper, who knows what that thing will turn into!

Back
Top Bottom