White Si ALO ALO

btw james and sprint when did you change your gearbox oil last? just read somewhere that it can take up to 10% of your power. I dont think it's ever been changed in mine, so might aswell when I get the chance.

let us know if ur injector quest bears any results sprint

just a final post on this. I'm now on me second tankful of injector cleaner - I have noticed a difference, although the hesitation is still there. It's also bumped up my mpg by about 3-4. I think I'll just live with the hesitation for now. If I accelerate gently, it's hardly there anymore.

Going to change gearbox oil when I get a chance, don't think it'll make much difference but probably worth doing anyway.

I'll try the gearbox oil too, I tend to notice my hesitation on lighter acceleration

mines is the opposite. When i floor it accelerates slightly for a second, then lurches forward. On light acceleration its not too bad, although this is only after using the injector cleaner and changing spark plugs and oil. before it would lurch all the time, any time.

Have you tried changing the HT leads, distributor cap and rotor arm? (sorry couldn't be bothered to read 5 pages :p) and also checking your timing?

gloves86 said:
Have you tried changing the HT leads, distributor cap and rotor arm? (sorry couldn't be bothered to read 5 pages :p) and also checking your timing?

mines has the same problem and has had all the above changed, not sure if downrodeo has but it seems to be the same problem anyway.

not had it looked at yet, another problem has taking priority atm.

sorry to join in so late in this thread but i think this hesitation is just a common - live with it - typ thing. when i brought my Si i said to corbs i think it needed a service because it hesitates in lower gears between 2.5 and 3.5k revs, he said nah, all GA's are the same..... i never really tried to rectify the problem. i just run it on v-power which makes it more bearable....

tommo said:
sorry to join in so late in this thread but i think this hesitation is just a common - live with it - typ thing. when i brought my Si i said to corbs i think it needed a service because it hesitates in lower gears between 2.5 and 3.5k revs, he said nah, all GA's are the same..... i never really tried to rectify the problem. i just run it on v-power which makes it more bearable....
I do notice an improvement with V-Power actually, interesting to see that it seems to be something all GA(14) owners suffer from! lol

My 1.6 SRi doesn't have this problem. It's a bit sluggish below 2k revs but after that it's fine, more like linear acceleration than hesitation, which is explained by the most power coming from 6,750 rpm, so the more revs, the more power.

On another note, i've never found redex to be any good. Tried it and it didn't make a slightest bit of difference.

A while ago i did a 350 mile round trip, 99% motorway driving, and put BP Ultimate and a bottle of Wynns Extreme cleaner in my car.

At the end, worked out i'd been doing 45mpg, while going naughty speeds down the M3.

The Wynns stuff is expensive (£15 for a bottle) but IMO worth it.

maybe try giving the MAF sensor a clean with some carb cleaning spray, i remember when mine was filthy on my GTi and it made a hell of a difference cleaning it ;)

Could also be the fuel pump on the way out? Doubt its the O2 sensor either. I dont even run a O2 sensor in my car and it runs perfect.......( i stripped the threads during a header change ) At wide open throttle on a sr20 the O2 sensor isn`t even read by the ECU.

Will try cleaning the MAF sensor then over the weekend. Time to pull out the haynes! Can't do any harm and wont cost me much.

stupid question - are the maf and o2 sensors the same thing?

and is carbon cleaner and carb cleaner the same thing? the only stuff i can find is carburettor cleaner

yeah i did a google search and read you shouldn't even spray it directly, but spray it from a distance. I have no idea how to get at it, but I'm sure haynes will have the answer. Will update if it makes any difference. Going to try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery overnight too, as I've heard that might help.

So carburettor cleaner it is!

Hey buddy

Just to answer an earlier question, MAF and o2 sensors are different things

MAF is near the air intake/throttle body and measures how much air is going into the engine, its very very fragile so be very careful if you touch it!

The o2 sensor (lambda sensor) measures how much oxygen is in the exhaust gases and is on the exhaust manifold - good luck if you try and get the fecking thing out, i gave up trying to replace mine! :p

B

hahaha. thanks for clearing that up.

Going to try the MAF sensor soon. I hope that's the problem. If not, I'll try the HT leads. and if not them, then BUGGER IT.

Other folks with the same problem haven't had any luck so far, so I'm pessimistic.

In terms of redex - I did actually notice a significant difference when I used it, but only when it was in the tank. I filled up the car again and used STP cleaner this time, and its gone back to being total crap again.

Success!!!

OK. I took the advice given by GTi and bought some carb cleaner from halfords for £5.

Didn't have time to read haynes and figure out how to take the MAF out and all that malarky, so read the back of the tin and it said 'spray short bursts into intake'.

So I did, very short bursts. All that happened was the car stalled. Tried driving it - no difference.

So got the missus in the driving seat, had her rev the car slightly so it didnt stall, and this time sprayed a bit more generously. The difference is HUGE. Hesitation almost completely elimated. Very slightly still there, but generally gone. To be fair I only sprayed it in the intake, and didn't take it out and properly clean it, so any result is brilliant.

So it was the MAF afterall, for me at least.

On the good side, changing all the filters and spark plugs and running injector cleaner through etc has increased the mpg hugely. When I got the car, it did 280 miles on a full tank (although that was caning it). Now the trip meter says 110 miles since I filled the tank, and i still have OVER 3 quarters of a tank left, and i'm expecting about 350 to 400 miles from the tankful!

Hey sounds like a good improvement!

I'm trying to up the MPG on mine too, need to do filters and i'll probs use carb cleaner too. Just running through the first tank of redex atm.

Got an oil filter at home for it but i've never got round to doing it, it looks like a b*st*rd of a job getting round the back of the engine.

The oil filter is a complete swine to get off. Luckily I'm skinny and got myself underneath and used a plier type tool for oil filters (fiver halfords I think) to force it off. But it took me a good half hour and a lot of swearing.

Just remember, however you get to the filter, only loosen it slightly. Then take it off with your hand from the passenger side while tilting it upwards, so that the oil inside doesn't go everywhere.

If you're changing the oil filter may aswell change the oil at the same time - in comparison to the filter, the oil change is pissss easy.

Back
Top Bottom