1998 Almera Si

whats right with the original one. that K&N hose is better than the standard job. resonator boxes are a crock of shit.

LMAO! you drive a 1.4 grandaddy car (just like I do, '98 black 5 door P2 Si, you have the less grandaddy 3 door in fact). Hardly an awe inspiring drive. leaving the resonator box on stops you standing out in a crowd (for the wrong reasons). taking it off makes the car sound broken.

and in what way is a hose that might have "K&N" printed on the side of it better than a hose with "Nissan" on the side? fireproof plastic incase the engine explodes when you're racing (and losing) agianst a 1.3 Polo?

Don't take this as me having a go, I'm not. That comment "standard pipe a crock of shit" just REALLY wound me up, and I don't know why...

Well I think the K&N hose has a larger bore so it can get more air through it (I compared it to my standard intake when I fitted an induction kit).

Does not having the resonator make it really loud then? I thought it was just induction kits that made it loud

24SEVEN said:
Don't take this as me having a go, I'm not. That comment "standard pipe a crock of shit" just REALLY wound me up, and I don't know why...

not having a go eh? lol. i thought i'd stemmed away from the nit picking other forums get. i know its a slow car, but a budget perk in performance hurt no one. whats the key to performance? getting air/fuel in/out quicker, yes? how you do that with a hose pipe sized inlet that has a box half way down it i'll never know. as for noise, i already have a 5Zigen fireball backbox so it kinda cancels it out. even when standard with the resonator taken out its no louder. why do you think performance intakes dont have resonators in? for sound? pffffrt. and besides, if my engine blew up into a ball of flames, i wouldn't be worried about my intake pipework......

cheers, tom.

James MSC said:
Well I think the K&N hose has a larger bore so it can get more air through it (I compared it to my standard intake when I fitted an induction kit).

Does not having the resonator make it really loud then? I thought it was just induction kits that made it loud

That resonator literally just reduces sound. In a car that produces 85bhp from a 1.4 I doubt it's going top be any sort of restriction whatsoever to the power. having a larger diameter bore pipe there won't really make any difference, because it doesn't reduce the airflow constrction where it counts, actually into the engine through the throttle body, inlet manifold & valves. I've never seen a GA in pieces, but I bet there's a LOT of room for improvement in the airflow through the head, throttle body and manifolds so that plastic hose won't make any difference (maybe if you go down to hundredths of a BHP).

you'd probably notice more performance benefit from taking the floor mats out to reduce the weight...

i didnt sign up to build a supercar or have arguements dude. im just making improvements over standard. if i dont gain any bhp then so be it. as james will know the cg13 used in micras are very restricted. so simple things make a difference when combined with something else. in the long run, my micra was 90+ bhp and would nail my almera all day long.....

i know what your saying 24seven but in my eyes the fact its pretty crap as standard in terms of power points to there being restrictions in the engine which would give big gains if they were removed, the manifold design looks to be very restrictive so that could give decent gains i would imagine, the inlet obviously isnt the best in the world so maybe gains could be had (although maybe they will be very small), the cams seem very mild so i would imagine they could give decent gains and like you said the head design is probably rubbish aswell down to it not being designed with power as a main feature. i would imagine with a decent inlet and even home porting of the head decent gains would be made and combined with a manifold even more, maybe one thing on its own wont give noticeable gains but if several restrictions are removed then it can only improve surely?

Sorry for the rant. saying the stock resonator box is a crock of shit compared to halfrauds & K&N vacuum cleaner pipe, just put a bee in my bonnet.

Go for it tommo, I always say this but if you mod something to go faster there'll always be something faster, if you tune your GTi and a GTiR goes past then it all counts for nothing, same as us tuning our GAxxDE's till a 2 litre goes past.

If you mod it for yourself and you're happy with it then i dont see a problem, as long as you understand it's a 1.4 (which i think ya do) and dont start racing ferarris or aeroplanes. I've modded my engine and its only 0.2 of a litre bigger than yours, id rather have people say 'aw wow is that only a 1.6' rather than 'eugh, that's only a 1.6' after racing them.

Sprint's right too, the GA engines are designed for economy and niceness, which is why a similar spec honda engine (not in the VTEC powerband) is so much quicker, means the mods you do to your engine will get you a lot more gains than theres because Honda engines are already more efficient.

You speak sense Kelv.

I have now got a habbit of spending stupid money on a 2.0 n/a. When I could easily buy a GTi-R. It's more the wow factor and self accomplishment. More than flat out speed.....even though I can keep up with a standard S14 til 100mph.

If modded right, the Si can look really smart. So helping it breath A little more won't kill anyone.

Just like to point out that the standard intake goes from behind the light, but still within the engine bay, meaning more likely to be warm air being taken in, but a self-made one can be taken outside the car (As with Kurt's above) or through a suteki or similar, for cooler air and thus a better mixture. Also with it being a cool air intake tube, it obviously helps to keep the air cold (The reflective material inside the pipe), the nissan one does not have this, and where a DiY one is more direct, the resonator boxes on the standard one, whilst reducing noise (a bit, there is little difference in sound with mine now the intake pipe is on, but with no pipe it does indeed sound broken), could cause turbulence and a restricted air flow.

lets face it. nissan spent a lot designing these cars to be cheap and economical, as previously pointed out. but whereas they spent a lot to design the skyline (hicas/atessa) they spent it wisely on the almera/micra/primera etc to be fuel efficient and user friendly. im just improving on there design. and yes, i know its NOT a performance car....

anyways. this weeks project. big thanks to mr pablo! spot the random AOC member.....

Image001-1.jpg

tom

thought it looked good today mate, wheels definately suit the car more in the flesh and once its lowered it will look great, does improve the handling alot aswell. you going to get the skirts and rear bumper off pablos aswell?

should be down there again next month with any luck so be nice to see the progress

Looks good mate, keep up the good work. Just read back through the thread and i agree that althogh built for economy and affordability, no reason not to make it 'feel' more of a drivers car and help it along a bit with tried and tested mods.

Overtaken me! And I've had mine for 4 months now! lol

Nice to see it coming along :)

Back
Top Bottom