craiGTi's ph2 GTi

if you do get a 2.5'' ss system with decat and it does raspy no biggie, just pop a muffler tip in the end for long trips to make it nice and quiet again like i do.

how odd mine does raspy ish with standard GTi centre section ressy decat and ss back box hhmmmmm.

oops, missed your post before mate - does the muffler thing make much difference power wise, you notice it feeling strangled at all?

it does zap power top end, noticeable after 5k. sound wise its nice to have during the week going to work at 7am and for long journeys too, gets rid of the interior boom from the 4'' can lol

later il refit the decat, raise the fpr back up and remove the tip to feel the power again :evil:

that's what i was thinkin.

so cos i'm a bit of a pleb an don't really understand - is this the basic theory...

the bigger cams mean the valves open further and for longer, so more fuel is injected, therefore bigger bang, more power etc.?? that right so far?

so with the fpr, the higher pressure pushes even more fuel through?

i've never properly understood a combustion engine! :O think i've got it recently. lol

yeh thats it dude, well it wont be injecting more fuel as the ECU wont be able to adjust itself enough, it will be ok but the FPR will inject the fuel at higher pressure to mix with the higher velocity of air going in, making the most of the cams. some people say a re-map will be needed for cams but the stock ecu is actually better than people think

Well, i'm back on the road again! :D

Massive thanks and RESPECT go to Kristian and his mate PJ for an awesome day yesterday.

After towing me 130 miles to manchester, kristian and PJ - with help from me on the hard bits :lol: - got my headgasket changed, JWT cams in, solid front mount fitted and some remaining air con stuff ditched, all in about 6 odd hours! Legends.

few ups and downs - of which i think kristian will post pics up at some point. We weren't overly sure it was HG at first, then we took the cam cover off. :eek: talk about mayo, absolutley unreal - disgusting. pics to follow.

so off came my old manky head and on with a new clean one :D

Question for people about the cams though.... after trying to fit them set at +2 intake, 0 exhaust, the engine wouldn't turn over properly, valve hittin piston?! Why.

anyway cams went in at stock timing and all was good. Pulls like a mofo now - loads more torque and response, noisy as hell too. maybe slightly less top end.

Today i've changed oil again and cleaned sump thoroughly to get rid of that nasty mayo, so fingers crossed all is good now. :D

Again thanks to Kristian for an epic day. me very happy. Also learnt loads from watchin it get done, i could almost try it myself now i think, but it might take 6 days not hours :rolleyes:

Next up, exhaust - to release some more of the JWT potential!....

cov - lol exactly! k-kustom ftw, they gonna be huge! :lol:

sam - why? cos rear mount will be going anyway or will the solid front one put more pressure on the rear?

only slight niggle at the mo, to get the car started and to run properly now the position of the distributor isn't in the middle like normal. when it is in the middle, the car is hesitant and bogs down for a sec when you first touch the throttle.

we had to push dizzy towards back of engine bay if you see what i mean - advancing it i think? But the JWT guide says it should be at standard, and if it's not it could possibly be the cam timing a tooth out or the ignition timing out?

also, like i say, when the intake cam was +2, a valve was hitting a piston, could that also be a sign of the cam timing a tooth out?

EDIT - or is the best thing just to get a timing light gun and check/adjust my ignition timing properly?

cheers

I don't think Kristian would have messed up the timing, after some of the stuff he's done lol. But yeah.. Double check it to make sure its Ok.
Its only the comment about valve/piston contact that scares me...
Joe

I don't think Kristian would have messed up the timing, after some of the stuff he's done lol. But yeah.. Double check it to make sure its Ok.
Its only the comment about valve/piston contact that scares me...
Joe

no neither do i mate! lol. he's a legend. I was just curious cos, like you say, when intake cam was set advanced to 2 it would only turn over so far by hand.

but then i don't really know what i'm on about! :O My thinkin was if it was a tooth out, would that make the 2.5 degree advance actually further advanced? and now it's at what looks stock, it's actually at 2.5? Or is that totally missin the point?!

How do i check it?

the other thing was that it won't run properly with dizzy at centre position/but i'm gonna borrow a timing light and check/adjust that today.

marks (simcard) dizzy was central but turned out it was at 1 degree when i timed it up, the dizzy was almost all the way forward by the time i got it to 17 degrees. did you check it proparly with a timing light dude?

marks (simcard) dizzy was central but turned out it was at 1 degree when i timed it up, the dizzy was almost all the way forward by the time i got it to 17 degrees. did you check it proparly with a timing light dude?

no just off to borrow one and do that now. yeah, i just didn't realise the centre position could be out like that. I'm finally starting to understand this stuff - a little :O !! lol

Back
Top Bottom