craiGTi's ph2 GTi

have you got an FSE fuel regulator? I think if the pressure isnt set high enough the petrol will flow rather than atomise which will give a poor burn?

have you got an FSE fuel regulator? I think if the pressure isnt set high enough the petrol will flow rather than atomise which will give a poor burn?

no i haven't, was lookin at gettin one soon, but from what i read didn't think it'd throw it out like this.

you think that coould affect emissions a lot?

Have you got the Emissions print out?

nah, will hopefully get it tomorrow. he said all readings were high, but seemed more concerned at how inconsistent it was and the poor burning etc.

could there be a breather or summin not right somewhere? or a sensor/electrical thing throwin it out for it to fluctuate and mess about like that?

I presume its the HC and CO readings that are too high,

Could be something simple, but id like to see the print out.

Id replace your spark plugs and clean the air filter for a start.

If your ignition timing is too retarded it could be the problem, causing a poor burn.

I presume its the HC and CO readings that are too high,

Could be something simple, but id like to see the print out.

Id replace your spark plugs and clean the air filter for a start.

If your ignition timing is too retarded it could be the problem, causing a poor burn.

had new plugs and cleaned filter in last couple of weeks. i've tried advancing the timing recently too, but it doesn't seem to stay like it, like it resets as has been talked about.

i'll try n get print out tomoz

when i tried to advance it the other day, i thought i could hear a pinkin sound, it was only at 17 and i brought it back a little, dunno

maybe a nissan consult will throw up an error code

Emmissions all over the place is going to be a sensor problem

With fluctuations, id say possibly two sensors and the ECU fighting between the two would explain the results here,

I think AFM, and Lambda if they have never been changed..

Pinking at high revs with the timing advance is more to worry about.. It seems you ECU is doing things it shouldn't.. its being mislead somewhere.

Possibly even the TEMP sensor in the inlet manifold would explain a hang up on COLD start, depending on how bad it is it will light up the engine management light..

However, connecting a consult would give you the temp the ECU is getting which is independent of the one on the gauges.. could be low when you know the engine is warmed up.

yeh gotta say that was my initial thought, a sensor/electrical thing - for it to be fluctuating like that.

The AFM, is that the air flow meter? If so, would that also make sense with it being hesistant a few times?

ie. several times it has hesitated when i've gone to accelerate for a second, then it's ok. It was more when cold?

So what's the suggestion of next move? I'm thinkin take it to nissan to plug up to consult and that'll surely show which sensors/ what the problem is.

It showed up my lambda going wrong on my n14, then obviously get it home before they charge $1,000,000 for waving a spanner over it and sort it myself. :lol:

cheers lads

Yes the AFm would do that!
you can put your foot down and it not rev etc then can kick in..

common problem on corsa's :S

you can clean the AFM by spraying it with carb cleaner, my mate bought a P11 that would barely tick over and wouldnt drive for cheap and I went over to help him faff about with it as the previous owner had changed almost everything from knock sensors to new dizzy and alternators. I checked the afm and it looked grey instead of shiny, quick squirt and the car was fine.
Also check tps, the earth on the afm, breather/vaccum pipes are clean/fitted properly.
And not but not least, whats the garage like where you went? They could be trying it on.

you can clean the AFM by spraying it with carb cleaner, my mate bought a P11 that would barely tick over and wouldnt drive for cheap and I went over to help him faff about with it as the previous owner had changed almost everything from knock sensors to new dizzy and alternators. I checked the afm and it looked grey instead of shiny, quick squirt and the car was fine.
Also check tps, the earth on the afm, breather/vaccum pipes are clean/fitted properly.
And not but not least, whats the garage like where you went? They could be trying it on.

cool, cheers lads, will try.

defo seems like the afm is part of it. Noob question, the afm is the MAF right? ie. to clean it, t's the little fragile wire thing in the maf that needs cleaning with carb cleaner?

the garage has normally been quite good, but you never know do you and i haven't been to them enough to be sure.

I only went to them cos another up the road that me n my dad have been too for ages suddenyl started takin the piss putting new discs on when i only needed tyres and pads! cheeky fooker!

adjusted my tps the other day cos it was a little high, but i'll look at breathers etc too

cheers

he more I think about it the more its seems to point to the AFM,

MAF - AFM are same thing..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAF-cleaner-for-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STi-Forester-Legacy_W0QQitemZ380111193538QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item380111193538&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

MAF cleaning is piss easy..

I have a couple knocking around if you want me to post one out to you..

Its a little hard as to say whether the garage is taking the piss. If they are un-familier with the model, or even the marque, and its not glaringly obvious what the problem is.. most places with cover themselves by wanting to over charge.

ALSO a dodgy AFM and Lambda isn't a instant engine managment fault.. if theres no fault code in ECU it can still be dodgy.

yeh it does seem to make sense, i'll have a look at it at the weekend when i'm home and give it a clean, and maybe ask you for one mate, cheers.

i don't think the garage are takin the piss, like you say they're covering themselves cos they're not familiar and don'k know where to start.
When i said about the timing, they said they couldn't do it cos the ecu sorts it and overrides any changes you make, so they're not that familiar!

just spoke to my dad, he got it back from the garage last night.

He said it's runnin very variably. It idles at around 2k, the other day it was at 1k sometimes 1.5, so that's not stable.

Also, it sometimes seems to be a bit sluggish under acceleration and other times pulls a lot better.

finally it seems to be runnin really rich, the mechanic said unburnt fuel was gettin through, and dad noticed a bit of black smoke at times.

So just to check, does this all still point toward lambda and AFM? I should be getting these sorted in the next few days, but is there anythin else that could cause the richness? I suppose if the AFM is reading wrong then more the air/fuel mixture will be wrong - hence the richness, sluggishness.

Cheers

the only thing it gonna be is the MAF or the lambda!

had a mondeo that had a dodgy lambda and that was shoitting the readings all over the shop!

the same effect can come from the AFM playing up!

loosen teh connection check for the dreaded green crap and give it a bit of a clean with contact spray etc!

brap

Back
Top Bottom