Disappointing

Well I might be a couple of MPH out but my speedo reads about 70MPH in 2nd gear i'm sure of it.
I'll go try it again to make sure i'm not goin barmy?! Sorry if i'm wrong but i'm sure i'm not goin insane, i'll let you know on that one :confused:

I do have 17's on aswell though (I did say) so I don't know how much the speedo is out. :(

shaggy_master said:
and as for saxo VTR's, I beat some dude in a VTR off 2 consecutive sets of lights, I had 5 people in my car and he was on his own!
They are a joke..
x
At the time I loved that VTR it was pretty fast if you drove it right, & peanuts to insure and mod...., just a shame it was french & made of card!!, I managed to break 3 drive shafts and the engine mounts, from a standing start it stuffed my mates Almera Sport but it had no torque aboe 4k and it had a bloody limiter that kicked in at 6000 rpm.......

Slapster said:
Well I might be a couple of MPH out but my speedo reads about 70MPH in 2nd gear i'm sure of it.
I'll go try it again to make sure i'm not goin barmy?! Sorry if i'm wrong but i'm sure i'm not goin insane, i'll let you know on that one :confused:

I do have 17's on aswell though (I did say) so I don't know how much the speedo is out. :(

Regardless of the size of your wheel/tyre combo, your speedo doesn't know they are different and goes off the speed of the drive in the gearbox....so the 17s wouldn't alter the speedo reading.

My tyres are oversize at 205/50-16 instead of 195/60-14, the correct 16" tyre should be either 205/45 or 215/40. With std tyres the max in 2nd is 66mph and with the current tyres it is 70mph...but as above the speedo reads the same as before.

As you go up the gears the difference increases.

Gear....std.....oversize
1st....39........42 (3)
2nd....66.......70 (4)
3rd....100......106 (6)
4th....130......139 (9)
5th....159......170 (11) not enough power to reach rev limit in 5th obviously.

My SRi has seen off a few 306 XSs, especially from a rolling start, but failed miserably against a Rover 220 turbo :p

I thought that changing your overall wheel/tyre diameter always threw your speedo out.

The calculator at the top of this page shows by how much.
(my speedo reads nearly 5% faster than I'm really moving because my wheel/tyre combo is a tiny bit smaller in diameter that the factory fitted ones)

Larger diameter tyres would result in a slower speed on the speedo than you are actually going (in Mark's case his speedo would show 70 but he'd be really doing 72.59mph) according to that calculator.

wraith0x29a said:
I thought that changing your overall wheel/tyre diameter always threw your speedo out.

The calculator at the top of this page shows by how much.
(my speedo reads nearly 5% faster than I'm really moving because my wheel/tyre combo is a tiny bit smaller in diameter that the factory fitted ones)

Larger diameter tyres would result in a slower speed on the speedo than you are actually going (in Mark's case his speedo would show 70 but he'd be really doing 72.59mph) according to that calculator.

It does throw it out if you compare it to an actual speed from GPS but the speedo reading doesn't change in relation to the revs of the engine. So the only way to get a faster reading on the speedo in 2nd gear is to rev the engine higher. Like me, I can do 70 in 2nd but if my speedo is accurate then it won't show 70mph....in fact looking at an old video it only shows 62 mph at 7.5k in 2nd although I should be doing about 70mph at those revs and the speedo should be showing 66mph.

Well I don't know mate whats goin on, but this weekend i'm gonna try 2nd gear out again and see what results I get because I need to know for sure!!

When I drive up to speed traps though that monitor and tell you your speed, my speedo actually reads slightly quicker than what i'm actually going.

For instance 28 on the electronic speed monitor is more like about 32ish on my speedo, so if that monitor reads correctly then my speedo is about 3 or 4mph too fast.

I don't know :lol:

Ive seen my speedo read between 5 - 10mph out comparing with a GPS
i.e. speedo shows 110 gps only 96-97

well my cock is 17"s i can hit 120mph in first gear and my almera eats 360's for breakfast.... retarded statement?? damn straight it is and its on a par with some of the comments on this thread!!

you want to see how fast your car is in your hands take it to the strip and lay some numbers down.. then watch what others get alot safer and you have proof...

Raceworx said:
well my cock is 17"s i can hit 120mph in first gear and my almera eats 360's for breakfast.... retarded statement?? damn straight it is and its on a par with some of the comments on this thread!!

you want to see how fast your car is in your hands take it to the strip and lay some numbers down.. then watch what others get alot safer and you have proof...
I tried telling people to take it to the track on here once, when there was almost daily threads asking how to beat a Type-R/ST etc, and got called all sorts iirc. I do believe the thread was deleted after being locked, I can't find it anyway.

Seems the GTi is attracting some muppets who like to race everyone at the lights. Notice I said some as there are some more responsible owners on here too :)

dude theres a saying you carnt educate pork!! your threads are some of the finest tech threads available outside the us..

i think the reasson no one goes to the track is because there all mouth!! i take claims of kills on the road with a pinch of salt.. ill admit im a tool sometimes on the road but i dont brag about it on teh net as i know that people whos respect i do want, the informed well educated people frown uppon such activities lol...

but anyway im off to nail my car down the bypass and eat some of those slow lambos you see about.. then im going to get my 17" dong polished by 4 girls!! 4!! you say... i know its not many but they are extreamly attractive they love the GTi badge!!

I think the GTi badge makes some people think they have 'all that power' under the bonnet. Ive lost count of the times people try racing me just because theyve seen the badge on my boot! lol.
Ive played with a few bigger cars in my Gti, and nine times outa ten im expecting to be beaten, but if i win, i assume thats because the other driver didnt know the road aswell as me, not because of the brochure stats.

As for stats of power etc, surely afair amount of this is irrelevant bollox when you consider the power to weight ratio's.
A few guys i know, and often hang out with, always brag about Vauxhalls (which i cant stand btw), the REDTOP engine developed in partnership with LOTUS blah blah blah... what does it matter if the car handles like a cake trolley and weighs a 3rd more than my nissan??

Sorry to have a wee rant, but it would appear not everyone looks at all the info.

Well said those who have quoted, 'take it to a drag strip', atleast that way you have something you can prove to someone, not just pie in the sky natter over BHP...

Raceworx said:
dude theres a saying you carnt educate pork!! your threads are some of the finest tech threads available outside the us..

i think the reasson no one goes to the track is because there all mouth!! i take claims of kills on the road with a pinch of salt.. ill admit im a tool sometimes on the road but i dont brag about it on teh net as i know that people whos respect i do want, the informed well educated people frown uppon such activities lol...

but anyway im off to nail my car down the bypass and eat some of those slow lambos you see about.. then im going to get my 17" dong polished by 4 girls!! 4!! you say... i know its not many but they are extreamly attractive they love the GTi badge!!

Just because some people have had a conversation about the performance of their cars doesn't make out that they are thick (in your reference to pork)
Most people don't get to use tracks or drag strips due to money, work commitments and family. Taking all these things into consideration can hinder someone like me from getting to a drag strip or track day etc. I work 6 days a week, have 2 kids and am busy 24/7 otherwise I would come to the drag strip and have a blast and see what my car can really do with figures. It would be nice.

I appreciate what you're both saying and I can't answer for anyone else on here but me, and I don't go racing everything off the lights or anything like that. But I do admit, when i'm in a situation on a good stretch of dual carriageway off lights (like on a few roads round here we have) or anything like that, and someone wants to have a go, then fair play I don't see a problem in that as long as you're not reckless and all over the place.
I don't race people hardly to be fair at all, through the town centre, or on 30mph or 40mph roads as I have children myself and don't agree with it "a la boy racer"

You said you drive like a tool sometimes yourself mate, so hark at the kettle calling the frying pan?

the difference is i admitt just i drive like a tool some times and i know im doing wrong im not saying im perfect lol hence why i dont think im cool or hard for doing the odd stupid thing and its probably only as bad as what you do putting your foot down on a bypass maybe giving it some into a couple of twisties you know well ect i have only ever had what i call a propper "race" and that was ages ago when i was young and dumb!

i admit not everyone can afford £15 or the time to go to a drag race meet. but if they carnt afford that they should they really be speeding risking a £60plus fine points maybe possible jail time aswell as there lives seeing if they can keep up with a fiesta ST?? and for what gain to tel everyone on here...

im trying to promote the sensible use of our cars the other thing that is apparent on this site is the complete lack of some peoples basic knowledge of how a car even works.. or basic tunning principles.. as seen in other "threads on this site where the offereing of advice is rejected i think people missunderstand me on this fourm and think im ome misserable old fucker who hates people saying jdm ect those that know me know im approchable and will talk to anybody about car in any light and i love the JDM lol

meh maybe my way of wording my veiws is just wrong..

Raceworx said:
the difference is i admitt just i drive like a tool some times and i know im doing wrong im not saying im perfect lol hence why i dont think im cool or hard for doing the odd stupid thing and its probably only as bad as what you do putting your foot down on a bypass maybe giving it some into a couple of twisties you know well ect i have only ever had what i call a propper "race" and that was ages ago when i was young and dumb!

i admit not everyone can afford £15 or the time to go to a drag race meet. but if they carnt afford that they should they really be speeding risking a £60plus fine points maybe possible jail time aswell as there lives seeing if they can keep up with a fiesta ST?? and for what gain to tel everyone on here...

im trying to promote the sensible use of our cars the other thing that is apparent on this site is the complete lack of some peoples basic knowledge of how a car even works.. or basic tunning principles.. as seen in other "threads on this site where the offereing of advice is rejected i think people missunderstand me on this fourm and think im ome misserable old fucker who hates people saying jdm ect those that know me know im approchable and will talk to anybody about car in any light and i love the JDM lol

meh maybe my way of wording my veiws is just wrong..

You have an opinion mate and have given some good and helpful advice before on other threads IMO....and I completely understand the point you're making. And yes I guess it does seem a little childish with the whole situation :(

I do agree with the drag strip thing. To be honest I never really thought it would be that cheap!! Just shows what I know hey!! :confused:

Fair play anyway mate we have a similar opinion in a round about way hahaha :)

I'd like to know where and how it costs £15 to go to a RWYB, its normally £20+ just to race, then you have to pay to get in, then your petrol and some food, then its £100. Not that Im bothered about that but hey if your preaching here you need to atleast preach something thats reasonably true.

And why even get on your high horse in the first place, ' I dont race but oh wait yes I do. But I know how cars work so its ok'.

Back
Top Bottom