Fred's GTi

Just thinking, me & Dave should have a `shine off`! :lol:

His paintwork is in better condition than mine, (I`ve got touch-up spots everywhere) :mad: but it`ll be a close run thing on the shinyness! :D

you may call him a knob but hes a professional detailer so its his job.......

its a bit of an advertisment for his company dont you think?

Rust treatment

Having found this thread again, & as the last update was just before JAE last year, it`s time for a little update. :)

Nothing much has happened since JAE really, apart from removing the resonance box from below the intake pipe & bunging the hole & totally removing the rear wiper, which has tidied up the back end a hell of alot. :cool:

The only significant thing to happen, is during the past month, I`ve been dealing with the spots of rust that have been appearing in various places around the car. :(

All is now sorted, & below are the pics of the process. :)

Noticed rust bubbling above the end of the skirt on the rear arches, so removed the skirts & set to work.

O/S rear arch

SP_A0051.jpg

Sorted

SP_A0052.jpg

SP_A0053.jpg

N/S rear arch

SP_A0060.jpg

SP_A0062.jpg

Sorted

SP_A0063.jpg

SP_A0068.jpg

I then found rust bubbling above the skirts on both front wings, so removed them from the car to make the job easier.

O/S removed, good to see Kelvs underseal is still there & intact. :cool:

SP_A0071.jpg

SP_A0072.jpg

O/S wing

SP_A0075.jpg

SP_A0077.jpg

N/S removed

SP_A0080.jpg

While I was at it, I decided to remove & tidy up all the supports in front of the rad.

SP_A0081.jpg

By the time the paint had dried on the wing, it was getting dark, so I covered it in a tarpaulin, ready finish it off the next morning.

Looking very sorry for itself first thing Sunday morning. :(

SP_A0086.jpg

After uncovering it, I set about the bottom cross beam

SP_A0087.jpg

SP_A0089.jpg

I also gave the horns a little tidy up, then put it all back together

SP_A0090.jpg

Next job is to remove & tidy up the A.R.B, replace the drop links, fit the poly bushes & remove & tidy up the shocks. :)

Couldn`t be arsed with the rad tbh, as it can`t really be seen through the bumper, plus it kept trying to rain pretty much all day, so I just concentrated on `the important bits`, then re-assembled it & moved onto removing the suspension. :)

Hammerite smooth black, applied with a 1" brush. :)

Really should`ve given the top crossbeam a full coat, instead of a quick, patchy going over, as I didn`t realise just how shite it looks! :eek: :mad:

I`ll take it off again & do it properly next weekend. :)

another pic heavy update.

Having sorted the exterior arch rust, I then turned my attention to removing & tidying up the suspension. :)

I removed the a.r.b, rubbed it down, hammerited it & fitted the poly bushes & new drop links that`ve been sitting about since I fitted the Prothane engine mounts.

I then removed & hammerited the struts, but kept the wishbones & hubs attached, as I couldn`t be arsed faffing about with the bottom balljoint. :rolleyes:

Struts removed

SP_A0091.jpg

SP_A0092.jpg

I then cleaned up the hubs & wishbones, & hammerited them

SP_A0093.jpg

SP_A0094.jpg

Then refitted the struts & a.r.b.

Front completed

100_0675.jpg

100_0676.jpg

After seeing Sirmixalots split rear top mount, I decided to see what mine were like, & immediately on removing the N/S panel, I saw the sealant at the bottom of the tower had cracked & come away from the tower, with alot of rust beneath it. :(

After removing the sealer & cleaning up the surrounding area, I was left with this

SP_A0099.jpg

So I removed the strut, cleaned up the tower & hammerited it

SP_A0112.jpg

While I was waiting for the paint to dry, I decided to clean up the whole rear arch & give that a proper going over

SP_A0111.jpg

then I cleaned up & painted the strut & put it all back together

SP_A0114.jpg

after putting it back on the ground & tightening everything up, I replaced the sealer I`d had to remove to get at the rust

SP_A0113.jpg

I then turned it round, to start on the tiny rust bubbles appearing at the top of the O/S arch, & it started Peeing down, so that will have to wait until next weekend.

SP_A0115-1.jpg

wow great stuff buddy, what mileage is your GTi?

117k & still going strong! :D

Good job Fred. Must be quite theraputic doing all that!

Yeah, gives me summat to do, plus the added satisfaction that I know everything`s been done properly. :)

you must be running out of supplies now!?lol

lol, I actually did have to start a new tin to finish off the arch, but they`ve been sitting in the cupboard for years, so I finally decided to use them! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom