Hallys Trop Green GTi

RR Lowport Head with Highport Valvetrain conversion plus SR16VE pistons

What a weekend!

I have a few snaps prior to this weekend from during the head build up stage...

Did some light work on the cylinder head, only on the exhaust side as the intake side looks good anyway.

Stock RR Intake port
intakeport.jpg

Shrouded exhaust valve area
exhaustvalveshrouding.jpg

Deshrouded (before final smoothing)
exhaustvalvedeshrouded.jpg

Exhaust port before:
P1010800.jpg

Exhaust port after:
P1010782.jpg

P1010786.jpg

Head built up with new valve stem seals, lapped in non RR valves, BC Springs and retainers, all ready for its skim.
lappedinandnumbered.jpg

Got to say thanks to Spyke and Pulsar Dave for the awesome garage accomodation, random tools, food and beers. Tommo for being the love god that he is, and Hally for getting stuck in helping with the conversion.

Look forward to seeing it mapped and running strong!

Welcome to the lopey idle club!

Dale you are THE man, an epic achievement for a weekend! (in my eyes anyway). So how are u with YD engines? :D

(I'm semi serious, so shoot me a pm :))

-mobile phone post-

So much win lads. I'm not suprised Chris got stuck in, working on these engines is addictive. Just looking at the pics makes me want to start building the bottom end of my spare DE.

its took me 6 weeks just to take the head off and have it skimmed lol
amazing dale and hally i bet you cant wait to go over 4500rpm

Cant wait to see the power this is pulling, great work lads all the same! did you build up a spare block with the 16ve pistons in already? I'm guessing you would of had to, no?

By the looks of it, looks like Hally's stock DE bottom end... with the bits added on, and then Dale's head ontop.

Cant wait to see the power this is pulling, great work lads all the same! did you build up a spare block with the 16ve pistons in already? I'm guessing you would of had to, no?

This is Hally's same DE block, once the head was off we removed the lower and upper oil pans to remove the original rods and pistons.

The bores were perfect, so they were cleaned down with thinners then coated in mineral oil. Because we were doing this with engine in the car, I chose not to hone the bores (even though i took the tool) for fear of metal shavings/filings getting around the crank bearings. The mineral oil he is running will help the new rings to contour them selves to the bores.

We gapped the new piston rings to spec and installed the 16VE pistons along with ACL rod bearings and ARP rod bolts.

Id be interested to get some compression figures in a few hundred miles time, after the first oil change.

The engine sounded very healthy with no smoke from the exhaust.

We used new genuine Nissan head bolts and a BGA Gasket kit.

you nede to drop the oil to change the rods and pistons but you can do them with the engine in place adn the head off..

i was going to come down but i couldnt sort a car out :( cracking work though :D

this is amazing chris ... bet you have been planning this for a while ... quite a spec list

top work dale, and the gang

Steve

Just wanna say that Dale really is a machine. Spyke kept feeding him lager and he just kept doing stuff. Hally is still a jerk though.

Excellent work this weekend gents, any time you need someone to supervise your workings, shout me a holla. Yo.

no oil spray bars?

thought they were mandatory in a NonRR engine?

Shaggy mentioned this. As far as we can tell, there are no pathways in the RR cover to put oil on the cams, at all. We would have put my rocker back on had it not been for the rocker arm stoppers.

Also, cant install spray bars as the RR head doesn't have the feed for them.

If it comes to it, I will either have to remove the RAS or grind two pieces of metal out of the RR cover. But at the moment it is running fine, seems to be getting oil, no noises, scrapeing etc. so i'm not too worried.

Also, on the point of dubious info from the SR20 forum, the GTi-R top rad hose waterway thing that bolts to the head does fit a GTi, you just need the longer bolts from the pulsar too, it's exactly the same size. Sam was told categorically it would not fit.

Also, difference much

14aac25e.jpg

That's a lot of work for a weekend, well done!

Spray bars won't make a difference at the kind of engine load you'll be putting on it at the moment during break in process...When the oil pressure builds up under heavy load they'll make a massive difference to the lubrication up there...

Back
Top Bottom