Hallys Trop Green GTi

I thought the baffled RR valve cover helps with lubrication on the RR head as it drips oil onto the improtant bits.

I thought the baffled RR valve cover helps with lubrication on the RR head as it drips oil onto the improtant bits.

This is the thing, that is the common belief, but looking at both covers side by side, the only difference I can see is the baffles are larger in the RR cover than in the highport cover. As I mentioned there are no "drip" holes that I can see that could possibly get to the cams or rocker arms.

Obviously the non roller arms will need more lubrication due to them not being roller but I dont know how I would get around this problem otherwise.

I'll have a chat with Kurt when he'd back off holiday and see exactly what his set up was. He was probably running a RR rocker though.

Plus don't forget there are feeds under the cam journals so that will be getting to the arms. There will at least be some lubrication going on.

Nope - I had all the bits off him, believe me, he was running a HP VC and Spraybars (which Dale noticed don't have the feeds anyway lol so they won't have been doing anything)
Joe

the roller rockers dont need as much lubrication as a non roller because the rollers by nature do not create a lot of friction.

pretty sure my GX engine had the appropriate feed in the bearing cap for the spray bars. but you cant fit a RR rocker cover with spray bars. either a VE or a non roller rocker cover is needed.

i'd say you DO need the spray bars. otherwise you guarantee premature wear on the lobes / rockers.

Yeah Ross, but Dale noticed the feed wasn't there or I would fit them, I have a Highport VC on it now so they would fit under there.

Also, read my response to Rowdy on the last page. I personally cannot see how a RR cover lubricates anything,

dont see why the bearing caps would be machined for oil spray bars if it wasnt possible to fit em...

guess dale knows better than me though...

Right, the cam caps on the two RR heads (the one i built and chris's original) didn't have oil feed holes and were the same size as the rest of the caps. The heads didn't have the oil holes either.

Non RR heads have a separate hole in the head on the end cam journals, the cam cap is also wider with an oil feed extra hole that then runs diagnally into the cam bolt hole.

You can see from this pic of Chris's head on the top right cam journal there is no oil feed hole, only the bolt hole.
14aac25e.jpg

Compared to a non RR head that has the oil feed holes
DSC00170.jpg

Notice the two wider cam caps too.
DSC00167.jpg

We spoke about this on Saturday while looking at the RR valve cover, deciding it was possible the oil supply comes from the oil hole in front of the HLA's, as the hole is angled in such a way that it points just past the rocker arm so that it sprays the nose of the cam lobe just before it contacts the rocker.

Cheers Dale, I forgot we spoke about those holes actually!

And to be honest, I cant see how the RR cover would be designed to drip, as surely if this were the case it would have a feed into it instead of relying on oil that gets flicked up there off the chain etc.

IMO, the larger baffle in the RR cover is an evolution of the PCV system and is to eradicate the little "catch can" thing on highports and has nothing to do with lubrucation.

STOP........Hammer time!

I did have functioning oil spray bars on mine. I turned the engine over a million times with the VC off to check this. Use the cam caps off a NON RR, along with the skinny longer bolts. They are thinner than the cam cap guide hole, and allows oil to come up and into the spray bars. There is alot of friction compared to RR.

I wouldn't run them without them, JWT told me what I needed for the conversion.....so I followed their word to a T. No need to doubt their knowledge.

Cheers Kurt, I still don't understand how oil would get into them, does the oil for the journals come up through the cam cap bolt hole?

Do you think you could get away with just using the wider end caps instead of all non-RR ones?

Yeh, aslong as the bolts allow oil up the sides of them. I can't remember exactly how it comes through, been afew years since I was balls deep in all this. I spent ages baffled by it, thinking the bolts would be hollow to allow the oil through, but it's actually magic.

IMO, the larger baffle in the RR cover is an evolution of the PCV system and is to eradicate the little "catch can" thing on highports and has nothing to do with lubrucation.

^this

and

P1010360.jpg

the base of the cam cap is wider to cover the oil hole, the oil passes up the sides of the cam cap bolt, then into the spray bars.

you will need to get them installed bud

So on a RR do you reckon the oil makes its way up the bolts threaded section where its bolted down? as there is no extra oil passage on the head like there is on a non RR.

Hmm, thats not really what im looking for Ross...i already know that.

Forget about the oil passing through the cam cap, i want to know how the oil gets there without an oil feed on the actual cylinder head.

Even If oil is fed into the heads bolt hole itself (as opposed to a seperate gallery), my question is, can the oil pass the threaded section of the bolt?

Im going to look further into this tonight, and report back.

In the meantime, im sure Chris's car is fine as it is at the moment, if the cam lobes were running dry you'd know/ hear about it straight away.

i bet the oil feed for the spray bar comes out the bearing cap itself.

the oil feed hole for the cam journal inside the cap must T off to the hole for the spray bars, hence the need for only one hole in the head, and the oil is already above the threaded bit of the bolt.

plus its all fair to say it would be immediately noticable, but look at my GX, the first thing i knew of an oil shortage was a rod flying out the block...

Back
Top Bottom