Kelv's new car!

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 939
  • Start date Start date
Not sure wether the back disc converstion would be worth it as

a, relativley little of the braking is done on the back wheels so theres not a great deal of point other than looks esp on a fairly small light car.

b, if you did put them on u wud need to ajust the brake bias as under heavy braking the back wheels will lock quite easily as the bias will be set up for realtivly poor drum brakes. so when the same bias is put through the back disc brakes they will lock. (it happened to a friend of mine who put discs on the back of his 106, as well as seeing it happen on a few other cars)

SRi_Alan put disks and calipers on his SRi, did they need adjusting as you say? As I am thinking of doing the same thing.

My sri came with rear discs. The front GTi calipers bolted straight on. All that needed modifying is the stone guard that goes roudn the disc. Just get some tin sheers or similar and trim the metal back to accomodate the new caliper.

i know this has been discussed a lot (but i cant find a definate answer) can you put a gti rear axle on a si and will it just need to be connected to the brake lines and will it work properly, hand brake as well?? cheers, just I will need some better braking power soon

MLEP2005 said:
i know this has been discussed a lot (but i cant find a definate answer) can you put a gti rear axle on a si and will it just need to be connected to the brake lines and will it work properly, hand brake as well?? cheers, just I will need some better braking power soon

nearly all your driving brakeing power come from the front upgrade there and you notice alot more difference than upgrading the back

looks great m8. Can't wait to hav a proper look at it. I hav wnted one myself at one time but they hav a nippy engine in em as they don't weigh much from wht i recall.

Well after our chat on MSN I really didnt expect it to be this quick before you found a mint example like you have, well done mate. I look forward to a ride in it, maybe even a drive of it next time I see you!!

Mick

nice example, had a look at it at the stadium of light yesterday,
good find

K33 ELV said:
only thing im unsure of is what to do if all the rubber around the targa top perishes, not sure who could make me some more? any idea? you have a classic car dont ya Sprint?...or was that someone else...

honda sell a silicone grease for replenishing the rubbers on her sol, its only a couple of quid and you just rub it in, a bit like leather feed, do it a couple of times year, makes them swell up slightly to stop leaks and that too
I'll sort a part number out of it if you want it

KELVIN!!!! you promissed :@

get white indicators (i can get them cheap i think) and pain the rear lights black in a hurry!

prizma said:
get white indicators (i can get them cheap i think) and pain the rear lights black in a hurry!
yea that would really look nice

K33 ELV said:
NX4.jpg
Man im CERTAIN thats a GA14DE.

Slick Rick said:
yea that would really look nice

Man im CERTAIN thats a GA14DE.

The GA14 and GA16 are essentially the same engine except for the displacement. They both look exactly the same.

Slick Rick said:
i thought this was a GA16DE

That looks like a US spec GA16 with VTC (little extra bit on the end of the valve cover)

I'm 99% sure that UK spec GA16's didnt have big inlet manifolds like that one.

like hally said the UK GA16's had the same intake manifold as the GA14, only way you can tell them apart is by the engine number i think, be a nice swap on mine if i keep it for a bit. . .

NaylorGTi said:
honda sell a silicone grease for replenishing the rubbers on her sol, its only a couple of quid and you just rub it in, a bit like leather feed, do it a couple of times year, makes them swell up slightly to stop leaks and that too
I'll sort a part number out of it if you want it

That sounds like what i need! also going to take Sprint's advice, and get the seals and stuff off a NX in a scrap yard near me (maybe the headlights and wings and other things likely to be dented should there be an accident), im quite enjoying this looking after an older car malarky! undersealings begun, and tommorrow im spraying all the grey plastic in the car black with some flexible vinyl paint, to make it look a bit more modern, so i'll get some pics up if that goes well lol

Thanks for all the positive comments! will bring it to the UK mera meet but Miack and Jay i'll probs see you before then!

Sellin them at the minute! Prizma's got first refusal but I havent spoke to him for afew days now, why like?

Back
Top Bottom