Kitty the Red GTi

Good set of mods and a nice neat bit of painting. It's those little touches that make all the difference :). Looking awesome in the pics on the last page too mate :thumb:

really does tidy up the front end. cant wait to get the banded steels fitted along with a set of red d1 racing long wheel nuts

1.0x0.jpg

the steels are now going to be banded as follows:

2" on the front
3" on the rear

the arches can always be pulled and i dont fancy having to send them away again to get made wider so ive went balls deep and changed my mind

me too, 2.5" may cut it but 3" will look sweet

even with 20mm spacers all round with the gti wheels the fronts seem to fill the arch more than the rear. 3" will sit better and if the arches need pulled, they need pulled. end of. they need painted anyway so its not too much trouble.

Removed the coilovers lastnight as the front drivers side has seized up and the locking collars are fucked cos I like to go medieval on things. Once I get the steelies back I will need to be able to adjust the ride height so I thought I would refurb the coilovers. They are in good enough condition though.

Also removed the backbox to get it polished up properly. Rung a bolt when removing it so I had to drive home with no back box. Straight through ftw! The amount of noise is obscene and the sound, well, depending on how it's driven it sounds well but couldn't have it as a daily unfort, and it's illegal :(

turns out they werent seized at all, just stinking with road dirt, grime and fuck knows what else. still need some new locking collars though. pics to follow

seeing as im spending the time and effort cleaning my coilovers i may as well try to keep them in good nick. ive been looking at ways to protect my coilovers with grease, wax etc

if i grease them up well and good i then run the risk of getting them dirty again as the grease/wax will hold the road dirt.

i done some research and found this simple way to keep them clean

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t146066-diy-coil-bags-protect-your-coilover-suspension.html

hope to get some measurements drawn up and get my mum to make me some. ill post up the end result

Huh? The BC's have always been mine lol. Had them for just under 3 years now. I was a tad heavy handed when tightening them which made them a cunt to loosen off... That and road dirt and wax/grease buildup

wouldnt bother with those covers they will just trap shit in behind them and ruin your shocks quicker.

once they are on the car and the threads are greased up wrap electrical tape round them covering the threads, this keeps them mint ;)

like so

IMG_0012.jpg

Im quite surprised how badly the springs have corroded after just a couple of years......

Rear springs were really bad. Fronts were in better nick.

I had thought about greasing them up and covering them with cling flim then using them covers. Can't do too much damage can it?

Jesus.. I wouldnt bother. Grease, clingfilm and/or duck tape round the threads.. Even some 10w40 would do the trick, or even that spray ur dad has. Mine look ok up to now

Just good upkeep would solve ur problem without going to that extent lol, as some one else said, all this will do is hold the dirt and grease, unless it is sealed completely, u could end up with making them worse if not done right - or cable tie the shit out of them lol

EDIT - Just read ur last post about the clingfilm
Dan Johnston does this with his on his chavic

This is what im probaby going to do at some stage

lps3
cling film the fuck out them
lps3
them canvas covers with zip ties top and bottom
done

cant see much dirt getting at them then

got the springs cleaned down and hammerite'd. also done the same with the bottom brackets/mounts. might get them back together tonight, i dont have the money to buy new collars so ill just make do.

paint on stuff, it wasnt hammerite, it was fortress stuff, same and just as good. I hope! lol. cutting corners lol, cant afford expensive stuff these days lol

Back
Top Bottom