My Almera 1.4 - total overhaul

Yes and no, I'll be completely honest, if you're modding a GA14, make sure it looks nice else you're not going to have an awful lot to show for it. You can mod and mod and mod a GA14 but unless you're stupid rich for huge cams and throttle bodies, you're just going to end up with something that is as fast as a 1.6 / 1.8. So make the car look and handle how you want, then save up and drop a bigger engine in.

UNLESS you wanna turbo it, then get on with it!

I intended to keep this build simple...don't want to go crazy N/A or turbo for now...I need a vacation this year so just fix my car so it's neat and I'm happy with it...modding a GA14 extremly is a bottomless pit for me

Id strongly recomend the ebay induction kit, best car performence item ive every bought arrived with 48hours direct fit sound's nice looks nice and helps top end no doubt :D

better than the header???

As fir th rod bolts i really wouldnt fit a random bolt in there, considering they are ARP rod bolts, 50 quid including vat is very good in my eyes

Id strongly recomend the ebay induction kit, best car performence item ive every bought arrived with 48hours direct fit sound's nice looks nice and helps top end no doubt :D

Later on I'll do a variable length intake manifold...as I mentioned earlier, just to understand things...a little project I'm working on a while. And I started to get fed up with the cone noise...it stupidly annoying :P

better than the header???

As fir th rod bolts i really wouldnt fit a random bolt in there, considering they are ARP rod bolts, 50 quid including vat is very good in my eyes

Not exactly random, I ment I can get any bolt for any torque spec and all....but the shape will be different, like the head will be hex, hex socket, torx, etc...

Alright, got the throttle body and intake off,
gotta mention what looks good on the outside looks awfull on the inside...

p1000630j.jpg

p1000631.jpg

Nice aint it? :D

and it goes all the way to the intake runners...

p1000632.jpg

p1000633q.jpg

Got some cleaning to do... :rolleyes:

Any idea what is that shit? looks like oil, fuel, dirt and mby exhausts from the EGR???

Alright, got the throttle body and intake off,
gotta mention what looks good on the outside looks awfull on the inside...

Got some cleaning to do... :rolleyes:

Any idea what is that shit? looks like oil, fuel, dirt and mby exhausts from the EGR???

yeah it will most likely be residue from the EGR. horrible stuff. but not as bad as a diesel car would be

So I'm about to get my cyl head off, according to my manual I should loosen the cam sprockets and then get the cam top bearings off...now how can I possibly loosen the sprockets when it's all moving :rolleyes: any simple solution how to lock the crankshaft??? :cool:

Cheers
Mark

noooo dont hold the crank shafts, you will be using the chain to hold the cams still, NOT GOOD.

you need an open end spanner on the cams, 22mm i believe

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/CAM INSTALL INST FOR GA16DE.PDF

make sur you loosen the cam bearings caps and cylinder head bolts in teh correct order also

Thanks for the link mate, and yea I have the loosening order in my manual.

All that shite on the TB and intake ports is coming from the rocker cover vent pipe I think

you think that a oil catch tank could be used?

It could be used yeah, I had one on mine, but as its an N/A engine it wont blow much out into the can. The reason you have that residue is due to the intake sucking it out the cam cover. Catch can probably the best idea though

It could be used yeah, I had one on mine, but as its an N/A engine it wont blow much out into the can. The reason you have that residue is due to the intake sucking it out the cam cover. Catch can probably the best idea though

Thanks mate, any pic possibly? not sure but do you mean like... cut the original hose and put a can in between?

Back
Top Bottom