My 'mera GX 1.6

Ed, i believe longer intake is more top end power, and more low end torque. could be wrong though.

all i know is the US GA16 comes out the factory with this manifold, a slightly bigger intake cam and 2* cam retardation top end and pulls 115bhp.

so im hopeful with my massive cams and this intake, with full exhaust system i can pull 120 bhp or more

Your engine is relatively mint also, should pull that with ease

Did you bother to smooth the first intake plenum chamber much past the throttle body porting?

You're going to be quicker than me Ross, easily. Looking at the GA times, header, exhaust, intake and fully stripped gets about 16.4 and I got 16.3 with full interior on standard mapping. So you'll get sub 16's I reckon.

thats the plan my man! 15.9 or bust

eddie, nah, i ported the throttle body part of the plenum to 66mm but i never ported the runners. theres really no point unless you port it right the way through. its only as good as its worst part, so without extrude honing it will never give massive gains.

Shame your not comming to shakies on 17th, would be interesting to see gains on intake then how much the flywheel and other bits make on the strip.

Im expecting mid 15's if you strip it

I dont wana be GA forever lol.. I cant be arsed to spent more going from Milding tunning to moderately tunned

Well done for Ross being dedicated though

Oooo. Battling for the fastest n/a non SR motor then. Interesting.

Did you take the car to standard btw Ross, or are you keeping the lucious looks to match the new powerz coming? Looking forward to any future power plans. It's good to see someone messing with a 1.6 engine and exposing its weak points and upgrading.

as the car stands cosmetically

VZR rears
SRi Spoiler
colour coded mirrors
GTi interior with 5dr SRi doorcards (although not just now, its stripped)
P1 Si front bumper
mega surface rust.

so the car looks pretty shit. but goes like shit (in perspective)

meh. dont care bout paint. it would be polishing a turd. all the major rust has been cut back and welded now so its really a case of buying a tin of BS7 brush paint and slap it on where need be. im not going for the "mint" look. just the "WTF was that" look

mint shelled 1.4's are usually priced accordingly (unrealistically)

Ed, i believe longer intake is more top end power, and more low end torque. could be wrong though.

all i know is the US GA16 comes out the factory with this manifold, a slightly bigger intake cam and 2* cam retardation top end and pulls 115bhp.

so im hopeful with my massive cams and this intake, with full exhaust system i can pull 120 bhp or more

Long intakes tend to move the peak torque point lower down the RPM range.

The b13 manifold is better in its design , runner diameter and stock flow, so you will make better tq/hp ... although technically the shorter length runners on a ported UK spec intake manifold would be better suited to a High RPM N/A screamer or Turbo engine.

Its like ITBs, they have short runners and trumpets, suited for high RPM.

With N/A engines, theres two ways to win...engine capacity or high revs (or both).... I mean you only need to make a measely 100ft-lbs at 8000rpm and you'd have 150bhp.
100ft-lbs at 9000rpm is 170hp.

GA WIN RECIPE -Some nice 280* cams (long duration pushes the powerband peak further up the revs), 12:1CR to support big cams, 4-1 header (long primaries pushes the powerband higher up the revs) and ported head (GA headflow is sh*t) and you'd be knocking on 170hp at the flywheel.

I dont expect you go out and do these mods Ross, i just wanted share my thoughts...

Just look at a stock SR16VE with the same capactiy, it just has high compression, 285* high lift cams and good head flow...its easy.

I'll stop rambling on, i dont claim to know everything ...i know you didnt ask for my input either, but i got carried away and wanted to chat shit...

MAF adaptor is in the post :thumb:

That's interesting info though Dale. It's a wonder the difference between GA16 and SR16 but you've made it roughly clear how that power is reached.

I'll stop rambling on, i dont claim to know everything ...i know you didnt ask for my input either, but i got carried away and wanted to chat shit...

but you know more than most in reference to GA so.... shut it you slag

ross - top work man, all the best with it

so. after an all inclusive 15 hours working on the car to try fit this intake manifold... here is the story.

DSC03087.jpg

I solved the maf holder issue by chopping up my spare throttle body/maf holder

DSC03088.jpg

smoothed all the flanges and casting marks off the holder and fitted it to the silicone bend from my induction kit

DSC03090.jpg

Finished article

DSC03094.jpg

Proceeded to strip off the stock intake with the aid of Mr Miguel.

DSC03095.jpg

the cock and ball plate

DSC03096.jpg

Lower Manifold fitted and injectors in, wire for the IACV valve needed to be extended and a few coolant pipes needed modified.

DSC03097.jpg

Upper manifold fitted and plumbed in. this morning we extended the wires for the MAF and TPS and plugged it all in.

turn the key... nothing. no fuel

the issue was the fuel pipes were connected wrongly. swapped them over and it started, but sounded like a tractor. so we plugged the EGR hole in the stock exhaust mani and started it up again.

this time it idled for a few seconds then died.

checked all my hoses and found they were all connected fine.

started it again and held the throttle body open slightly. it decided to go POP and make an exceptionally annoying fart type noise from somewhere unknown.

so at the end of my patience i lifted off the upper plenum hoping that the "bungs" had failed. which they had.

then found we had a big water leak. so that was pretty much the threshold of my tolerance level.

its now back to standard and the B13 manifold back in its box. i've no doubts it could be made to run, its just not that easy on an engine in the car.

wouldnt idle properly, couldnt seal the bits i needed to, water leak and fart noise ultimately led to me deciding to call it quits...

so where to now... im SERIOUSLY considering and SR20 swap...

im disappointed to say the least. :(

Back
Top Bottom