My Old GTi (Gizmo)

Thanks for the comments everyone, I've just got my internet back so a little update.

Passed the MoT on monday at the great cost of £2 for some side repeater bulbs, and I'm just running it in and trying to iron out the creases. Theres a list of things to do (A mysterious oil leak being one of them) before I modify it further, but lowering is near the top!
Havent sustained it above 4.5k yet just taking it easy first thousand or so miles.

Needless to say though I'm chuffed with it and so happy to be behind the wheel of my own GTi!

glad to hear it sailed through mate!

you usually feel its your luck after so much hard work for something to go wrong in the MOT.

glad it made it ;)

Congrats on the MOT mate, sorry to hear about the leak, hope its something not too tricky/costly for you mate :)
My Mera passed its MoT on monday also, they didn't even notice dodgy coilover sleeves and popped rear shocks lol. ;)

Well as you may have guessed by my 'wanted' post my engine had developed a nasty knock as well as the leak.
So I acquired a Primera GT engine and spent all day today swapping it over, this time I was on my own as I am back at my mums house down south. I had a friend help me with his forklift though which was great as it moved true vertically rather than a jib's arc.
Everything seems to have gone ok, I had the engine out by half 1 having started at 10am. Swapping everything over was a pain, nothing was the same! I ended up changing all the mounts, the underbrace, starter motor, alternator, and PAS pump, all of which are different on the primera engine.
But as it sits now the 'new' engine is in the car. Tomorrow morning I need to plumb it back in, top up all fluids, most of the wiring was done today, and I need to attach the throttle body etc. All of which I've got about 4 hours to do before I start work! eek!
Apologies for no pics as I forgot my camera will try and get some tomorrow.

Yup P11 GT. At first glance they were but no ancillaries fitted on the GTi harness. All the same bolts and fittings but different shapes.

If the engines not been used for a while disconnect the dizzy wiring connectors and just crank it until the oil light goes out. You could even drip some oil down the plug holes....this`ll give it a nice coating of oil beofre its actually started.

agrred with rowdy dude remove the plugs and spin it over til you get some oil pressure :D did you swap the knock sensore or did you give up??

So, the primera GT engine has been in and running for a week now :) Just a few small things, the starter stopped working so I swapped that for a spare today, think it was cooked!
I also need to swap the temp senders as the primera ones dont seem to talk to the almera ECU, the temp needle is on but does not display a reading and the fan does not come on, so thats tomorrow mornings job...
After thats solved I need to just swap the det sensors, reset the ECU, and eventually put the heaters back in lol!
Whilst I was at my dads over the weekend (Lovely yorkshire roads) I gave the car a quick wash and took her out for some pics:
IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

Thanks guys, its getting there! Just ironing out the creases. I'd say she should be ship shape and tokyo fashion by the end of the month!

Back
Top Bottom