My Old GTi (Gizmo)

:confused: Replaced the temp sender this morning, but doesnt seem to have had an effect. Hmm, although with the engine idling and the sender unplugged the fan is on all the time.
I'll wait until I get the new dash clocks in, then see if it works as it may be that the clocks are at fault (Rev counter doesnt work and the speedo is temperamental, works if you punch it though!) :lol:

Still very frustrating.

Cant get the fan to kick in or the temp to display despite replacing the temp sensor for GTi ones
Alternator cooked itself, melting the plastic wire cover and the loom bolt. Suspected short circuit or bad earth
Rev counter not working
Couldnt get det sensor off
Missing a few bolts here and there
Exhaust still leaking
Occasional squeaking from pulleys and whistle from vacuum leak driving me mad

One thing at a time, got to get through this in the next few days while I'm off work.

Christ, I've gone down to page 7!

In a nutshell I never had the car off the road long enough to fix all the problems (Mostly electrical) and it simply shut down on the way back from home one night with very little oil in it. When I coasted into the services, topped up the oil and restarted it, the distinctive sounds of bearings ripped to shreds met my ears.
With the result that I bought my £200 mondeo and left the mera sat outside my mums house as I had to move back to uni and decided what to do. I dug out the original engine we put in (Rebuilt by RaceworX ages ago). Which ran fine apart from an oil leak (And an exhaust leak). I dropped it off at Silverline racing to have the headgasket changed (new HG and head bolts). I could have just got another SR20 but may well have ended up with a shitter. This engine has around 55k on it and a ported/polished head, so will hopefully be ok after the work.
Purchased £700 of insurance too, with a view to limping it back to stafford (And breakdown recovery if it blows up) or getting it towed, undecided on that one.
The head has now been sent away to be skimmed, which was included in the work.
So waiting on the engine being done before I make a move, now I have the mondeo as a runabout it should be possible to fix any niggle and problem with the car and I will be able to enjoy it at last.

Well I have the engine back and a GTi gearbox to suit, the clutch I have is nearly new anyway so going to be keeping that. Got lots of new parts, new copper exhaust manifold gasket, new rocker cover gasket, hoping the thing doesnt leak anymore.
Stockpiling bits and bobs, my last coursework deadline is on monday so going to be making a start after then :)
This arrived in the post today:
IMG_2366.jpg

Need to fab up some brackets and pipework for it but £50 so not bad for a genuine one.
Also went down to cheltenham and saw Tasha's GTi looking nice and clean, still on the road (210,000 on the clock and still counting, needs a service though)
IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

Fingers crossed for next week!

Yep, original engine and box, possibly original clutch too. Needs bodywork attention though, and a service like I say.

^ get a better camera bud lol, good work tho

Yeah lol the damn thing died on me today!

Sit rep - after a few hours today the engine and gearbox are nearly ready to remove, just the power steering fluid left to drain out!

Few shots of the car shuffle required to get the GTi into the garage on saturday, needed the mondeo, 306 S16, 306 diesel turbo (On flat tyre!) and 450bhp pulsar ( :D ) moving out of the way. This was the last bit of ground covered by the primera engine, the rattling was so loud!

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

Chris rammed the cinquecento shell into the fence :lol:

And in it's current home:
IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

Yeah its an awesome garage. Going to head back to Bristol tonight so I'll do the full write up tomorrow, but the engine is out! Ended up buying a crane to do it as couldnt find one to borrow.
Quick pic with my mate Chris playing the part of an SR20
18.jpg

hhhmmmm pulsar exhaust comes out the wrong side, 450bhp wow i know its fast. matey had a 400bhp+ one few year back ran a 4.1sec to 60mph - ah the good ol days.

nope

its there so that it has a backbox to quieten it down, and not stall exh gas flow. standard pulsar back boxes go in/out the same side of the box :)

Back
Top Bottom