N16 DCi-R

Fitted the rear engine poly mount today.

I've got a torch but thought I'd heat it up a bit in the BBQ. That was until 250 degC when the fat from end of summer caught fire. Oops.

IMG_0738.jpg

Took it off and shot this:
Jets of fire, loads of hot smoke, and an explosion!

IMG_0739.jpg

Shell and some other crap which needs to be taken out.
IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

Then comes pressing it in.

Attempt #1 - Failed
IMG_0743.jpg

Attempt #2 - Failed
IMG_0744.jpg

Attempt #3...
IMG_0745.jpg

Success!!
IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

In. But little did I know of what lay ahead.
IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

The mount is made to such a tolerance that is took like 3 hours just to line it up and get all the bolts back in. No way am I removing this, but there's a technique which I've found so I'd do it in a fraction of the time now.

It was a little shaking on start up and shut down and I image it will be when cold but so far it's tolerable :). Test drive tomorrow.
IMG_0759.jpg

Last edited:
PU is a bugger to get in, but it's even worse if you need to get it out.
Is your engine sitting lower at the back with it in?

I'm halfway through pulling my engine and gearbox out, I'll get a photo of my mount when it's visible. Memory suggests it's got more holes than your factory one did.

Kiwi it was dark when I finished so didn't see but I'll make a point to look tomorrow :). Your mount might be more like the QR25 one then. The DCi YD22 is more solid, obviously to cope with more torque.

yeah lining up the rear mount is a baw.

memories of lying in ricks driveway at midnight trying to line up the rear mount on zeninblack's gti... not fun.

i should probly put up a how to to make my ghetto bush pusher presser majiggy too eh?

I remember your one Ross but I didn't have those parts lying around so made do with a pallet, bricks and a scissor jack :lol:

There is an easy was to get the rear mount lined up in seconds... remove the engine brace, push rear mount up into bracket, put bolt through, push front mount up, put bolt through, put two rear brace bolts in, do up half way, put two front brace bolts in, do up halfway. Tighten all bolts and its done in about 10mins....

I'm sure that may have been mentioned but I've not seen it. Probably in the Sr tech threads, I don't need to look at those.

Either way I did try that first but seriously the bush is a TIGHT fit. So I had to use the brace to lever it in by bolting one end to the chassis. Once it was in the bracket it took ages just moving to line the bolt up to push all the way through. Eventually, but bolting the brace up fully and using a scissors jack to move the engine rather than trying to move the mount, it worked.

-mobile phone post-

That vid was so funny I couldn't help but chuckle right through it!

I still think you should've tried my trick with a Pug or that big Land Rover in your driveway. Much easier than the effort you went through.

DSC09807.jpg

In future, remember to give me a call if you're stuck as you know I'm the man with the Darchitect special tricks!

Back
Top Bottom