Red Nemesis Dog: Pulsar Autech

Corbalicious

Staff member
1996 Autech GTi

So this is the father's new ride to succeed the GTi.
Nothing wrong with the GTi, this weekend he was saying what a fantastic car it was, and having driven it myself I can say it is bloody awesome, BUT....

A) This Autech came up for a good price
B) Lower mileage, no rust
C) Its an Autech

The GTi is being reverted to standard and sold, and the bits and bobs either donated to this or being sold on.
So, after having put down a deposit without having seen the car (Always a risky situation), friday night I got the train straight from work in Bristol, 3 hours to Leighton Buzzard whilst Dad drove the land rover down with tools etc just in case anything should go awry. Had a look round the car and very impressed, it had been in a low speed collision, the bonnet and slam panel were bent, but the bumper had been repaired.
Satisfied, we handed over the wonga (insurance already sorted and MOT booked) and drove the 3-4 hours back to Yorkshire (Landy has trouble over 65 so a slow and steady pace).
I'm pretty sure we set the record for 'Most police cars passed in one trip'.
Made it in the end. At a service station on the way I yanked out the slam panel in the time-honoured corbs crash repair way and shoved a P2 grille in.

MOT saturday morning...

Passed first time, no advisories :cool:
Taxed it, got home, corrected slam panel and bent the dent out of the bonnet with my hands, swapped 2 slat grille then onto the moors to 'compare' the 2.

What can I say, the GTi is savage but the autech is one step away from a rally car. LSD gearbox coupled with better suspension and good downforce makes it awesome in the corners. It's not slow either, especially for standard condition.

06032010252.jpg

06032010251.jpg

06032010250.jpg

On sunday we tidied up a few things, took the stupid silver strips off the doors, new air filter, changed the wheels over (Toyos all round now). I have a few more pics of the journey etc I'll put up when I can.

And Dad's verdict...
'Probably the best car I've ever driven'

just to add to Corbs comments - The driver experience is near perfect, there is a direct relationship between what you ask the car to do and what it delivers. You never feel you need to doubt its ability to hold the road and keep giving. very little lag in throttle response, the weighting on the steering and the balance of the car is incredible - accelerating round tight bends is just the best g-force you can get out of a 2 litre and the gear box is to die for - i reckon the driver experience is as good as the Mcrae prodrive i had (albeit a different experience). I intend to keep this one absolutely standard whilst maybe getting racingline (they're 3 miles away) to 'tighten' everything back up to as close as they can get it when it left the autech factory.

The ginger takeover commences, soon they will have one of every model!!

watch this space.... Corbs has 2 younger brothers nudging up to driving age

yeehah!!!

Oh yes... A huge thanks to young Corwin for sorting this out for me - I believe he also accepts commissions to find cars for non-family members for a small fee too.

Perfect reason to attend the Buttertubs meet if you ask me!

Lovely car Dog.
we will definitely be there for the next meet, the dates just don't work on this one, but you're right - it would be perfect, especially with the lineup you've already got!

What can I say, the GTi is savage but the autech is one step away from a rally car. LSD gearbox coupled with better suspension and good downforce makes it awesome in the corners. It's not slow either, especially for standard condition.

No hate mi ol pal (officially the first AOC member I ever meet lol) however you can’t call the GTi savage?!

It’s the most under'd power JWT S3R’d GTi ive ever seen eek
dd

No hate mi ol pal (officially the first AOC member I ever meet lol) however you can’t call the GTi savage?!

It’s the most under'd power JWT S3R’d GTi ive ever seen eek
dd

hmmm... I think you might find it a tad more 'assertive' than when you last saw it but that's just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom