Ricks BP0 GTI

well done Rick & Ross, fine job on getting it going in the end. sound like the dizzy placement was 180* out, however thats not possible?

they dyno result should be interesting.

Or get Vvl ;)

Steve

or...................... some nice 260's that punch hard low thru to redline
david

yeah rick done a good job of turning up 15 minutes after i got the car started, 4 hours after i started trying!

yeah david, tbh i kept thinking to myself "the dizzy must be somehow backwards! kept going back and trying it again.

i THINK the problem was just the maf telling the ecu what was going on and the ecu going "wait. what?" then pissing itself...

it started when dried out with throttle, but soon as i released the throttle it died and flooded.

so i started it with throttle and held it at 2k for a few mins till the temp needle started to climb and slowly let it back down to idle and it managed to stand on its own. left it running for 20 minutes to get used to what is going on, and suffice to say, the ECU has learned enough that it can start and run of its own accord from stone cold.

Strange it wouldnt start. Definatley in need of a remap. A good chunk of ignition will smooth the idle out as well as make the bottom end much better.

The 514's are a big jump from the std cams (22 deg @ 1mm inlet, 26deg exhaust) so the stock fuel & ignition is going to be miles off what the engine wants.

Im looking forward to seeing what it makes after a remap. Who's doing the remapping?

Well, slight update.

Cams . Everything seems to be running okay, no noticeable increase in fuel consumption as yet.

The car won't start without giving it some gas and the revs have to be kept up until the engine has started to warm up otherwise it will just die and ends up flooded. This is a PITA tbh.

The car has no power what so ever under 2.5k and is sometimes jerky upto 3.5k but at the higher end of the revs it just pulls all the way through to redline.

Gonna mess about with the cold idle and see if i can get more air in on starts to see if it'll fire on it's own.

Sounds amazing though. :)

Strange it wouldnt start. Definatley in need of a remap. A good chunk of ignition will smooth the idle out as well as make the bottom end much better.

The 514's are a big jump from the std cams (22 deg @ 1mm inlet, 26deg exhaust) so the stock fuel & ignition is going to be miles off what the engine wants.

Im looking forward to seeing what it makes after a remap. Who's doing the remapping?

Thanks for taking the time to reply, i agree that the 514's are a biiiiggggg jump from standard.

I've uprated the fuel pump now as well to a 255 HRC pump and going to upgrade the fuel filter to a Z32 one before my dyno run.

I'll be going Nistune for the mapping at Hypertech but it's Steve from FC Tuning that does the mapping i believe.

The car won't start without giving it some gas and the revs have to be kept up until the engine has started to warm up otherwise it will just die and ends up flooded. This is a PITA tbh.

My 518s did just that. Adjust the throttle/butterfly plate on the throttle body, so at rest its slightly more open.

My 518s did just that. Adjust the throttle/butterfly plate on the throttle body, so at rest its slightly more open.

Yeah, gonna have a play about with that tonight/tomorrow.

Just a pain at having to do it in the morning, it's not the quietest of cars and reckon my neighbours will soon get annoyed with having it sit a 2.5k till warm. lol

Rick your car doing same as me. Ive got enlarged tb and plenum so might help with starting issues. Cat cams emailed me too re fueling needs mapping to sort. Mine struggles to start when cold mostly but it not flooded yet. I too fitted HRC fuel pump with fpr set to stock. Have you a regulator yo help control fuelibg pressure??

Yes does say works on oem parts. But dont think does car much good overfueling and jerking lol im remapped on 28th of thos month so it cant come soon enough as it doing me head in.lol

but as rick said they sound AMAZING!!!!! Ive had people lookobg round car asking what engine in it etc and odd how much exhaust tone has changed under full throtlle really raspy and beastie sounding

yh but my point is you can't advertise something as working with standard parts then it not. idle does sound sweet tho and fair play to cat-cams signing up to give advice that the car needs mapping.

rick was you planning on mapping before this problem.

I agree i was getting remap regardless but had to move mappibg a mobth forward due to the bad runnibg of these cams. Knowing what i now know id of fitted them just a few week before remap.

Definitely good to see Catcams making the effort to sign up on the forum, great to see that!

Its funny how the 514s are called 'sport' and dont seem to run as well as the 503s which are called 'rally & cross'.

I wasn't necessarily getting mapping done. It was more a case of if it needed done i'll get it done. If i could get away with it until the winter i was just gonna run it till then without mapping.

i was thinking of getting cat cams for the new motor but didnt wanna worry about mapping so think i will put them on hold untill i can afford the mapping to.
hows it feels compared to other car you have driven rick with s3r's etc much quicker i wanna see you and wraith go down the strip should be a good run that

i was thinking of getting cat cams for the new motor but didnt wanna worry about mapping so think i will put them on hold untill i can afford the mapping to.
hows it feels compared to other car you have driven rick with s3r's etc much quicker i wanna see you and wraith go down the strip should be a good run that

S3R's are tame compared to these. I'll find out exactly the best course of action come Friday though.

I'm still running a stock fpr and still need to adjust the cold idle to let more air in on start up. Fuel filter could do with a change as well.

Getting a adjustable fpr and getting more in might be enough to get these running much better but will wait on seeing my afr's and rolling road print out on friday.

I'm also considering getting a standard airbox and panel filter to compare against the k&n. Might flow better.

I can see what you are saying rich, but CATcams are only advertising it will work on the OEM valvetrain, which it does.

They actually state the following too: "ONLY for dirt track applications and pro street use with adjustable engine management or carburettors"

Back
Top Bottom