Ricks BP0 GTI

tbh mine runs AMAZING with the 503's.

i know where dale is coming from, but the ALLEGED duration of autech cams is 232* and the catcams are 275ish.

I hate to be a pain, but where did you get that info from?? I think you might have misunderstood the autech cam specs.

Autech cam advertised duration is 266*intake/267exhaust*.
Autech cam duration at 1mm lift it is 232*

Your Catcams are advertised at 277/273
They are 236*at 1mm lift on the INTAKE CAM, and 228* at 1mm lift on the exhaust EXHAUST CAM.

As you can see, at 1mm lift your cams have 4* more duration on the intake cam and 4* less duration on the exhaust cam.

Not really a big difference at all (if any) which is why i was suprised you didnt go for the
504 cams.

I hate to be a pain, but where did you get that info from?? I think you might have misunderstood the autech cam specs.

Autech cam advertised duration is 266*intake/267exhaust*.
Autech cam duration at 1mm lift it is 232*

Your Catcams are advertised at 277/273
They are 236*at 1mm lift on the INTAKE CAM, and 228* at 1mm lift on the exhaust EXHAUST CAM.

As you can see, at 1mm lift your cams have 4* more duration on the intake cam and 4* less duration on the exhaust cam.

Not really a big difference at all (if any) which is why i was suprised you didnt go for the
504 cams.

Ok so the math is all there.

Physically though, explain why the catcams idle like a dragster but the autech cams idle like a stock gti...

I have my reasons for not going for bigger cams, which will become apparrent. I admit i was a little nervous about the 503's being too close to "stock" but they really aint, they are far from it. Also as far as i am aware there is no official specs for the autech cams, just heresay

Apart from that im sayiny nothing on the matter until friday when the rollers give proven gains.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with catcams, Im just a bit put off of buying any much bigger cam, be it catcams or C2s/3s as it would need mapping within a short time after and havent got a grand sat about to spend at the moment.

Catcams range is great that they dont need valvetrain upgrades on the non RR though and I bet are likely to give some good power outputs with Ricks, Daves and Ross' cars.

Rick good advice knocked timing back to 13* and lumpy and knocky reduced massivly!!!! Drives ALOT better still gutless at low revs but drivability alot better

Rick good advice knocked timing back to 13* and lumpy and knocky reduced massivly!!!! Drives ALOT better still gutless at low revs but drivability alot better

Strange this as mines is driving really good now. Idles about 900-1000 and starts to pull about 3k. Just have a mess about with the cold idle, throttle and base idle settings to see what works best. That's all i've done.

It's still tempramental when cold but when warm it goes pretty damn good. I'm more confident about the rolling road now.

Mine idles all over place from 500-900 boucing all over lol. From cold today still jerky etc when warmed through drove better. I just cant wait to give her to the expert and sort this arsy tempremental mood swinging sweet sounding mess out!!!!! Greg watch out you got a fun day coming up

It got noticeably lumpier with an open filter and the big manifold, its still lumpy now with stock airbox and stock exhaust its just not as loud and pronounced

Am I ringht in thinking these have a Mass airflow meter rather than a Map sensor?

MAF's are usually much more tolerant to overlap, MAP sensors have a real fit as they read directly off the inlet manifold and see the pulsing in the inlet manifold.

Yup. These cars have MAFs

Personally i think these are the best options for the RR which has very limited choices!

It just needs supporting mods and other issues such as fueling and timing sorted out.

Kudos to Ian, Dave, Ross, Rick and others for trying them out!!

I know i shall be getting some soon :)

Sam's ol Autech had lumpy idle as standard, then more so with the asp fitted. Not the same as a standard cam'd GTi.

sams old autech also registered 30psi more compression per cylinder than mine or corbs.

mine WAS lumpy with the stock cams, but what i was getting at earlier was the catcams make the stock lump look like a smooth running stock GTi

There's a lot that can effect idle.

A lightened flywheel will give you a lumpy(er) idle.

Lookin forward to Friday and Sunday :)

Back
Top Bottom