StevenC's GTi

Have a couple of pics!! :D

stevenc1.jpg

stevenc2.jpg

Had to clean her, just couldn't bare the dirt though I did do a funky 50/50 for about a week!!! :D

Anyways NEWWSS!!!

Remember the cams? WEEELLLLLL Royal Mail have done the decent thing and paid out for them agreeing that they were damaged in posting!

So now I've got the cash from them and also from the sxoc sitting in my bank account (remember when they dented the 1/4 / smashed the light / took a chunk out the bumper?), and a wee bitty I've been saving recently for possibly other projects. Well I've decided to hell with other ideas / projects and I want to treat the car a bit.

Since the end of summer when I was fixated on Cams and other goodies (:P) I've come to enjoy how the car currently is and I'm pretty much at peace with it performance wise. I'm now upset about the knocks, scrapes and dings it's picked up in it's 10 years to date. I said I wouldn't get annoyed about this but hey ho, I'm anal, and I am.

Dilema issssss...I know a painter and can get -everything- sorted and a respray for around £700. Alternatively I can go for cams and remap for same price. Getting it painted could probably be the best thing I could do as I'd be happy with her and more than likely show it a bit more respect than I currently do when I drive it. HOWEVER, I dunno if I could forgive myself for not making it quicker when I had the chance even though the bodywork would piss me off more.

S'pose this was more a rant / flying feelings down and cry for help? lol

Aye, mint cars are overrated IMO. You can never really relax when you have one.

What about (I know this sounds boring but...) future proofing it. Changing every perished ruber mount for a poly one, undersealing the whole thing properly, replacing worn components with new?

Forget bushes, the GTI ones last forever, christ mine had standard drop links, bushes, wishbones etc on it and it'd done 140k. I'd make it go a bit quicker. You could have it all painted speshul and nice but someone could smash into it, then all your £700 was wasted. Whereas you'll always have cams and what not!

Corbs that sound far to sensible and reasonable, for steven anyway:lol:.

More power!! FTW!

U'll never forgive yourself if you don't. It's what your car wants.

Think we all know what I'd choose. Not like it's slow now and making it mint will stop it from having a early death if you do actually show it respect :P

Aye, mint cars are overrated IMO. You can never really relax when you have one.

What about (I know this sounds boring but...) future proofing it. Changing every perished ruber mount for a poly one, undersealing the whole thing properly, replacing worn components with new?

sorta like what Im doing

But chris your's doesn't need any exterior work really. So you should chose power. Yeah steven how long would you respect it after the re-spray? :lol:

Well I think the car's starting to tell me it doesn't like it when ringing it's neck as I said before, it's buring oil when I'm driving it hard. Maybe they all do that and I should stop being a pussy?? Its on 97,500 miles now.

It's been fully undersealed when I bought it and any time it's ever needed anything it's got it. It's had both from ARB drop links already and the bushes on the beam that went on were in better nick than the ones that came off the car which were still decent. What other common issues are there with GTi's? In the last 12 months or so It's had two rear brake calipers, handbrake cables, new rear disks and pads, new front pads, new brake hoses, a new brake pipe that was corroded and the others are good, new power steering hoses, new tyres, new suspension, new wheels, oil changes every 3k miles. i.e. what I'm saying is, lack of maintainance is not a problem, and it never will be. No car I ever own will be left wanting. It needs it, it gets it.

I think simmo's got why I've not already just gone and had it resprayed already... I could spend all that money on a paint job then some wanker could key it and I'm gutted. Damnit I don't like choice.

They are so much easier when it's taken out of your hands, like if you did have major exterior problem a re-spray would be the easy choice.

If its burning oil, spend the money on an engine rebuild and throw in some SR16VE pistons while your there.

SORTED

Back
Top Bottom