StevenC's GTi

thinkin about this even more, if it was turned on the key and the slack in the chain locked or whatever happpened, the timing could be way out resulting in piston/valve contact and the impact being sent through the cam could it not?

EDIT - @ ed, i know mate, didn't mean for that to sound defensive :lol:

I seriously appreciate what folk are saying and I'll be asking the mechanic questions.

Right now I don't know what to think. I don't know enough to know that's the problem for sure so can only go with what my heart says as to who I trust. What's been said above has sort of re-alligned who I think I trust...

Problem I now have is a monumental oil leak. It's not coming from the rocker gasket. I think it's coming from the tensioner.

JAE is in doubt at this moment for me.

Let me clarify the chain slack thing...

The tenioner was out...the chain was slack.
The tensioner was in...the chain was not slack.
The cam then broke on starter...the chain had slack because the cam was broken so the sprocket could be moved back and forth maybe 1 tooth.

No wood was used to block the tensioner. It was taken out.

The timing did not move. I'll say that 100% for sure. I was watching the timing marks / dowel pins the whole time. Plus the old cams went straight back in no bother whatsoever.

but if there's a leak from the tensioner that puts doubt back on the chain side of things again, why would that be leaking otherwise?

something's a miss somewhere i think

but if there's a leak from the tensioner that puts doubt back on the chain side of things again, why would that be leaking otherwise?

something's a miss somewhere i think

the tensioner was removed.

if steven never replaced the gasket it will leak oil. its an unrelated event to the cams, woulda leaked even if the cams weren't broken.

the tensioner was removed.

if steven never replaced the gasket it will leak oil. its an unrelated event to the cams, woulda leaked even if the cams weren't broken.

i never replaced a tensioner gasket and it didn't leak, certainly can't see a 'monumental' leak occurring anyway.

also, if the chain was tight before turning it over, how did the cam snapping suddenly create slack and stop it turning over? the timing chain end of the cam would be still tight down under the cam caps and attached to the chain, crank pulley etc and turn with the rest, leavin the outer part of the cam still. I can't see where slack was created or why.

taking the cam chain off the sprockets, removing the chain tensioner, allowing the chain to go slack even for a moment and then not turning the engine over by hand once rebuilt is asking for trouble really. The tensioner removal is a big part of the issue.

Those that have fitted cams to an SR20 themselves can comment accordingly

gutted for you mate, properly, and all I will say is this;

StevenC said:
Whipped the old cams out no bother at all. He followed the JWT guide to perfection.

Taking the tensioner off is not following the JWT guidelines to the letter. There is no need whatsoever to do this when changing cams, the wood block method is more than sufficient.

Moving on from the Cams indicent, those who were at JAE will know Kate was not present.

Unfortunately, on Tuesday night while celebrating getting the car all back together with very few leeks, I had a crash. It was entirely my fault, so not looking to disect that...

Basically I broke:

1 Disk rear beam (bent)
1 ABS Hub (exploded)
2 Rota Grids (one smashed, other buckled)
1 T1-R tyre
1 Drivers side handbrake cable (broken)
1 Brake Disk (smashed)
2 Pads

Got my beam stripped down and off today (thanks to rick). Coilovers look straight with no damage. For the record, there's not a single mark on them. Looking better than the K-sports did after 3 months.

Got a rear disk beam with the ABS holes etc but no ABS hubs. Need to go and strip it off the donor car tomorrow (again thanks rick). Will swap my good hub on to it, and use one non-ABS hub to get it on the road till I can get another. Will also get handbrake cable from rick.

The wheels are a bit of a PITA. Rota only did the satin black for a very limited run, and I'm waitin to hear back if I can get satin black...if not then there's gonna be a fairly radical change in this department :P

I hope she'll be back on the road in no time cos I miss driving her so much...and I aim to calm the fuck down. I dinnae fancy doin this again any time soon.

Never rains but it pours mate. Glad you're OK and things sound repairable.

StevenC said:
if I can get satin black...if not then there's gonna be a fairly radical change in this department

Why do I get a sudden vision of orange wheels? :cool:

Back
Top Bottom