Steves VZ-R

seriously gonna spend near a grand on a turbo...?

ive spotted a few discrepancies in the list, but im too tired to go into detail just now so i will post up tomorrow

the willwoods with pads and hoses plus vat are close to 600..

as RA said theres a few bits need tweeking.. ill read whats put tomorrow and offer my take but i would spend a grand on a turbo but not a disco id go GT2871R with the .84 A/R turbine housing.. internaly gated on a pulsar manifild...

dude, just give me a ring and ill sort you out with all you need for it, :)

that list you made is all messed up,

like you REALLY dont need to spend £920 on a turbo, i can get you a hybrid t28 for half of that!
besides you only need a std T28 if your not rebuilding the engine, so youll be running stock boost (8psi)
so by getting a bigger turbo you will just end up with alot of lag, as you need a smaller turbo which operates best at lower boost.

the cheapest FMIC kit you can get is about £200 inc free delivery off ebay.

you dont need any form of standalone management nor horsham,

just get a dastek, (proven turbo setup with mine, ie get your done at the same place)

if you really are serious about oit i could do it for you round mine. will take a few days :)

stu

thanks for the comments guys, prices are extremely rough, just needed to get an idea if it was dooable :)

@stu, yep that was gonna be my plan haha, great minds think alike

Steve

what bit are you agreeing with with :)

if you mean baout seeing me about it and getting me to do it etc, then get your tall lanky ass round mine for a drink!

Ok guys, done a bit of maths at 9k rpm, looking at a rough estimate of 275hp at 8.7psi. Effective comp ratio of 17.7:1. Although these are based in srxxDe calcs. Ve head flows better etc, and other mods will hopefully increase ... liking the 350hp at 1 bar ;) = future

@ hally, apexi yum, motec is an option, but I will need to find a cheap one, at the moment horsham or stus idea will suffice

@ pel, at the moment I'm not looking for big boost, so st3 should be fine, hopefully hehe

@ Ross and Ian, any input is good guys, I can take a flaming ;) ... end of the day you guys have had way more experience, brakes were an afterthought at the moment, some green stuff pads and ss hoses will do for now, and miko on sr20 said the potato is perfect, I know it has been proven, but can't find the Greek guy that has done it :P

@ stu, as long as your happy doing it at your mate, that would be blinding! If you can get a cheap 28 I'm in :) will do for now. Hmm, I'm more inclined to trust the nistune, ill weight up the options mate

And yeah, we need a chat ;)

Steve

ok people, I'm going to go turbo, it has been decided! will take me some time to acquire everything, and shell out the costs

Got a completely rough estimate on prices, but think I have included everything, anyone see I've missed anything?

checklist.jpg

Steve

Turbo http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALL-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

BOV http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-Pulsar...46914364?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

INTERCOOLER http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FMIC-NISSAN-P...41664711?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-pulsar...15937597?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

INJECTORS 480cc is abit too much i think, don't see why these won't do
7. SR20DET S14 Purple 370cc Injectors, perfect working order, recently in running car. Ideal upgrade to GTi for turbo conversion, PRICE DROP £45 / £50 DELIVERED.
Someone correct me if im wrong..

Ammar

stevo

i would not be aiming for 275bhp if i were you,

just get the turbo all fitted and setup, and se what it gets,
you never get 275bhp on 8.7 psi either,

dont forget you only have a 1600cc displacement, :)
think of all the work ive had done and ive got a 2050cc 1/2 forged engine, and i only manage to get 271bhp on 8 psi, my hybrid turbo helps alot tho :)
so you get about 200-220 bhp on stock boost (8psi/0.6bar) with a std bolt on mods.
you mapping will be best done with a dastek, purely on the basis of how its worked for me :)

yeah ammar them injectors will be fine,

BUT i would get them stripped down and cleaned professionally, :)
i wont fit them unless they have be cleaned fully, :) (bad past experience)
but yah joes ones will be ideal :)

Im quoting Mov's turbo on this.. Running at .55 bar it got approx 220bhp, and @ .7 around 240(191whp)

Its not got no mods, just standard engine with a crusty filter sucking in warm air. Has a very very very very restrictive exhaust system..

Mapped at Horsham developments

like dales, he was running high boost through his ga16de, with uprated internals, and he got about 220bhp but was on 22psi irrc :)

lol

but the SR16ve engine has more power to start off with so with less boost he should still get a reasonable gain :)

Cheers ammar, got some good eBay stuff there

I'm using the calcs from the us, miko said they are pretty accurate. I need to flow 400 cc/min at 100 % duty. So to be safe I'm doing 85% at 471cc/min. Imo, 370 will be dangerous

I'm doing them from a 1600 stu, at 9k rpm, 0.6 bar, 1.5 psi drop from ic.
Gives a pressure ratio of 1.7, and a corrected mass flow of 28 lb/min of air

Also using static comp of 11.1, giving 17.7:1 at 0.6 bar

But as you say mate, there are other factors involved, and this is an estimate, and at the crank, not the wheels

Steve

Cheers ammar, got some good eBay stuff there

I'm using the calcs from the us, miko said they are pretty accurate. I need to flow 400 cc/min at 100 % duty. So to be safe I'm doing 85% at 471cc/min. Imo, 370 will be dangerous

I'm doing them from a 1600 stu, at 9k rpm, 0.6 bar, 1.5 psi drop from ic.
Gives a pressure ratio of 1.7, and a corrected mass flow of 28 lb/min of air

Also using static comp of 11.1, giving 17.7:1 at 0.6 bar

But as you say mate, there are other factors involved, and this is an estimate, and at the crank, not the wheels

Steve

DUDE! your looking way to far into this!
ignore all that US miko blaa blaa bollocks haha,

joes injectors will be fine especially with a FPR running a higher pressure your not going to be running massive power, im running 317bhp on my 550cc ones and they arent no where near maxxed out :)

as for the psi drop from the fmic, mmm dont think so :) the flow drops very slightly but not the psi :)

you dont need to coreect the mas air flow meter? eh

your really confusing me with all this man haha, your making it alot more complicated than your making it out to be :)

at the end of the day its all in the mapping, afr's, timing :)

cheers ammar! :)

yeah man get some money together, get all the bits, then bring your ass over to mine and we'll get on it, :)

270 imo is quite an acheivable goal.

i dunno what cams you are running stu, but you gotta bear in mind the long duration and high lift of the VE cams is gonna make for a high volumetric efficiency up top. the VE+T will just be far superior to most DE+T's on here in terms of flow.

170bhp starting point, so + 100bhp is quite possible.

PROBLEM. you have high compression pistons steve. your gonna have to drop that compression so either lower comp DE/DET pistons or a thiiiick head gasket.

N1 pistons and a thick gasket might even do, you'll retain compression enough to make it more driveable off boost, and hopefully be low enough not to detonate up top on full boost.

You have in your list a Stainless steel manifold. if you are gonna go stainless you are gonna have to spend upwards of 500 quid. otherwise it will be flimsy brittle stainless which will crack on a weekly basis. you get cast iron turbo mani's on ebay for £130. i would rather have that than a cheap stainless job.

elbow. not sure yout 70 quid is enough for that. pulsar elbows sell for £300 + and there isnt many manufacturers. you may be able to get away using a 200sx elbow and a custom downpipe, but 70 quid will cover just the elbow in that case. unless you are gonna use the stock pulsar elbow (most restrictive piece on any nissan turbo exhaust) then budget at least 200 quid.

oil feed and return. budget £100 quid. bear in mind you need the block to be drilled and tapped for a return and need a T piece out of the oil pressure sender, as well as a flow restrictor (depending on the type of turbo you choose) for the drilling and tapping i'd like stu's input on this, how did you do it?

relating to pressure drop from the IC. there is a small pressure drop, but usually less than 0.1psi. check your intercooler spec before buying. and carefully consider size.

thats all i picked up on that hasnt been already covered.

yeah ross, im using stock cams still,

also steve im still using the std pulsar iron mani and elbow, which can be bought super cheap and do a great job, :)

i got my block drilled, my engine builders/engineering company will sort that,

i still think your power gain wont be as much as a sr20de+t even though the ve has a better flow rate, its the capacity, that makes the MAIN difference :)

at the end of the day the air in being pressured in the cylinders so even if the cams have a higher lift or the head is ported/flows better the turbo is still going to force the air in to the 1600 capacity no probs as the chamber is smaller, it will fill quicker. :)

and i def agree with ross, the comp is to high, BUT if you do turbo it, then you cant run no more than 8psi, :) its going to get REALLY hot in there, so the timing will have to be PERFECT!

Back
Top Bottom