Steves VZ-R

like dales, he was running high boost through his ga16de, with uprated internals, and he got about 220bhp but was on 22psi irrc :)

lol

but the SR16ve engine has more power to start off with so with less boost he should still get a reasonable gain :)

You make it sound like my 1.6 is maxxed out and i need lots of boost to make 220bhp. You dont seem to grasp the concept that my turbo is a small GT22 and needs more boost to make the same FLOW numbers as a T28. Put it this way, If i were put a GTiR T28 turbo on mine, at 0.5BAR id make around 220bhp, and 1BAR psi i'd make around 280-300bhp.

I'm doing them from a 1600 stu, at 9k rpm, 0.6 bar, 1.5 psi drop from ic.
Gives a pressure ratio of 1.7, and a corrected mass flow of 28 lb/min of air

Steve

as for the psi drop from the fmic, mmm dont think so :) the flow drops very slightly but not the psi :)

you dont need to coreect the mas air flow meter? eh

"Correct the mass air flow meter" hahaha!

Steve, you've completely just pwnd Stu, lol.

I've heard differing opinions on the compression ratio. At first I did think Sr16 pistons will be too high, but working out the effective ratio with 11.1 pistons, 8.7 psi boost, it works out to be within the 16 to 18:1 "ideal" ratio

I really don't want to loose the static ratio either as the low lobes rely on this, but if it has to be done, then a thicker head gasket will be the answer till I can source a det bottom end ;)

Regards the manifold you guys are right I think. When I saw the ss thing on eBay I thought it was too good to be true :P might have to get a decent amount of stuff from you stu haha

Steve

stu you are putting too much emphasis on displacement.

VVL makes as much power as it does because it flows as much as a 2.0.

That's why I wanted to see the flow rates from each head

Also guys I still like the high revving nature of the 1600, so wanted to get both benefits of na and fi.

Steve

low boost will be fine on a 16VE, more overlap on cams and a head more resistant to det means you can run higher comp with boost. look at mazworx's drag S15, revs to 11k on a stock nissan crank, has N1 cams and a whopping turbo but it has 11.1 CR :ph34r:

think of B16 turbo's, this engine would do close to 300hp with a not too special turbo and not a lot of boost. personally i wouldnt be using a GTiR manifold neither, equal length tubular piece to keep reversion down, also some cam gears

Cheers wezz, sounds good mate, ah forgot about cam gears :P

I'm also scared of going over 300hp through the standard box too, but that is for the future

Steve

as for the "maf correction"dont talk to me as tho im a plonker and dont know what im taliking about,

when i build my pulsar and my red gti turbo build i never touched the maf/TPS so as far as i know they dont need to be touched, my builds have worked fine without touching them, but then i guess the garage mapping it would have done that not me :)
thanks.

end of the day steve, get a basic turbo setup fitted and running and if you want more power/boost after that, then crank up the boost, :)

but you will comprimise reliability with the std engine & components etc, CR/Head gasket etc :)

but you will comprimise reliability with the std engine & components etc, CR/Head gasket etc :)

thats really what im scared of, as its my daily ... but the small amount of boost im going to run will be ok I'm sure :D

thanks for all the input people, just need to get on with it now, buy the stuff, and knock on stu's door ;)

Steve

as for the "maf correction"dont talk to me as tho im a plonker and dont know what im taliking about,

when i build my pulsar and my red gti turbo build i never touched the maf/TPS so as far as i know they dont need to be touched, my builds have worked fine without touching them, but then i guess the garage mapping it would have done that not me :)
thanks.

Ahem, Steve was refering to the corrected mass flow of the turbo in lb/minute, using a turbo's compressor map and calculated pressure drop.

A pressure ratio of 1.7 is 0.7BAR boost (14psi is atmospheric pressure), less the 1.5psi Iintercooler pressure drop, to give his desired boost of 0.6BAR

28lb/minute roughly equates to 280hp.

Nothing to do with MAF sensors at all.

Thats why i laughed:(

thanks.

you running a standard maf?

:no: I'm not angry, I'm dissapointed. You can't turbo this. lol

Seriously though, If you do bat for that team....don't get a dastek, You can't raise the rev limit and they are way overpriced. Get a Nistune and learn it yourself, even if you spend an hour or 2 on a dyno with someone who knows their stuff, it'll only be £100.

:no: I'm not angry, I'm dissapointed. You can't turbo this. lol

Seriously though, If you do bat for that team....don't get a dastek, You can't raise the rev limit and they are way overpriced. Get a Nistune and learn it yourself, even if you spend an hour or 2 on a dyno with someone who knows their stuff, it'll only be £100.

haha sorry kurt, im one for doing something unique. its not like it is an n1 though :zoidberg: now that would be criminal

sound advice ... how long did it take you to learn?

Steve

About 4 hours, I used someone elses map and just tweaked it. It does need doing on a dyno with some knock headphones....things can go horribly wrong trying to fully map it on the road without them.

le JAE prep

oil change and wash ... none of which makes a difference for JAE. im doing 80miles tomorrow to work, and another 80miles getting to JAE :(
also realised the offside panel needs to be sprayed, and hundreds of chip marks in bonnet ... I HATE CLEANING MY CAR

IMAG0600.jpg

IMAG0601.jpg

IMAG0602.jpg

Steve

Back
Top Bottom